Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Here we go. Time to file for citizenship!

Here we go. Time to file for citizenship!

Old Feb 25th 2020, 1:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go. Time to file for citizenship!

Originally Posted by Dorothygale53
A little bit of information I discovered that may be useful for some...I received my biometrics appointment and knew I would not be able to make the date they had given me. After reading things online about people sending the letter back saying they could not make that date then receiving another letter with an appointment just a few days later, I decided to take the chance and just turn up at the USCIS office today. They didn’t care it wasn’t my day, they just let me through, took biometrics, I was in and out within 10 minutes! All offices may not be the same but the Kansas City one was super easy and quick 😃
What you experienced is really standard operating procedure (SOP) when it comes to the biometrics appointment.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Dorothygale53 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
What you experienced is really standard operating procedure (SOP) when it comes to the biometrics appointment.
I did not know this so thought I would share with others who also may not know...
Old Feb 25th 2020, 10:15 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Just had the interview in Houston today. We filed in May last year. Looks like our oath ceremony is probably going to be in April.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 10:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I did not know this so thought I would share with others who also may not know...

Always good for it to be reiterated. Like yourself, a newbie won't think to ask the question and either ask for a new appointment or just try walking in.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Just had the interview in Houston today. We filed in May last year. Looks like our oath ceremony is probably going to be in April.
Wow it takes a lot longer in Houston than it does in KC! We filed on Feb 10th, I had biometrics yesterday and am showing an estimated completion date of May. I’m not sure if that means till interview or ceremony. Congratulations on passing today, must be a relief!!
Quick question (I’m pretty sure I know the answer)...the questions with multiple answers, do you only have to give one of the answers? I don’t mean ones that say eg. Name 2 cabinet level positions, I know that would require 2 answers. I mean eg. Why did the colonists fight the British? There are 3 answers and each of them are quite different...
Old Feb 26th 2020, 12:05 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Wow it takes a lot longer in Houston than it does in KC! We filed on Feb 10th, I had biometrics yesterday and am showing an estimated completion date of May. I’m not sure if that means till interview or ceremony. Congratulations on passing today, must be a relief!!
Quick question (I’m pretty sure I know the answer)...the questions with multiple answers, do you only have to give one of the answers? I don’t mean ones that say eg. Name 2 cabinet level positions, I know that would require 2 answers. I mean eg. Why did the colonists fight the British? There are 3 answers and each of them are quite different...
Yes you only have to give one.

Apparently there will be about 2500 people at our oath ceremony. And they are holding 3 a month. Houston is busy right now!
Old Feb 26th 2020, 12:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Yes you only have to give one.

Apparently there will be about 2500 people at our oath ceremony. And they are holding 3 a month. Houston is busy right now!
Thanks for clarifying, that’s what I thought. Houston certainly is busy! Good luck 😃
Old Feb 29th 2020, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

If the N600 form is the one I’m thinking of, isn’t it super expensive? Like $1200 or something?... It’s more expensive than the N400 citizenship one!
I had not heard of some colleges needing the certificates, my eldest son graduated from college last year whilst we were on green cards. He got scholarships and we had no issues. Maybe it’s certain schools/scholarships that relates to. Something to certainly think about.
My question was actually about the USCIS officer telling you that if you applied for your daughters passport now at aged 15, it would still expire at age 16. Did you find out if that was correct? I have googled and that seems to be incorrect information you were given but I cannot find it on the official website!
Both kids will get passports that are valid for the usual duration that they would for any US citizen