Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Here we go. Time to file for citizenship!

Here we go. Time to file for citizenship!

Old Oct 19th 2019, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Here we go. Time to file for citizenship!

Not being one to wait around, we decided to file for citizenship as soon as we were able. That date was this past Thursday. We filed online and paid by credit card. I think my husband wanted to cry when he paid for the 2 applications for us!
I checked online this morning (because I am supremely impatient) and saw a notice that my biometrics have been scheduled. No date showing, and the letter is not viewable yet. The USCIS site gives an estimated completion date as March 2020. Fingers crossed! I really want to vote next year!

I will update my timeline as I progress through this journey with immigration. Our local center is in Charleston, SC.

N-400 Filed: 10/17/2019
Old Oct 19th 2019, 3:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go. Time to file for citizenship!

Congratulations, Sarah and hubby. Hope it is a speedy process for you both.

As for voting in 2020, let's hope they choose someone worth voting for.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

pejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
Not being one to wait around, we decided to file for citizenship as soon as we were able. That date was this past Thursday. We filed online and paid by credit card. I think my husband wanted to cry when he paid for the 2 applications for us!
I checked online this morning (because I am supremely impatient) and saw a notice that my biometrics have been scheduled. No date showing, and the letter is not viewable yet. The USCIS site gives an estimated completion date as March 2020. Fingers crossed! I really want to vote next year!

I will update my timeline as I progress through this journey with immigration. Our local center is in Charleston, SC.

N-400 Filed: 10/17/2019
I filed maybe a month before you and just did my biometrics last week. The delay between the notification and then the letter being visible on the website was around 4 days for me I believe.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 6:48 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you are in Charlotte NC not that it makes a difference. a month from filing to biometrics, then a month to interview, then a month to oath ceremony is likely what to expect, at a minimum.

Last edited by RICH; Oct 21st 2019 at 6:55 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Biometrics scheduled for 11/06/19.

(Appointment letter visible on MyUSCIS)
Old Nov 8th 2019, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

10/17/19 N-400 filed
10/19/19 Biometrics scheduled (Estimated case completion time 5 months March 2020)
11/06/19 Biometrics appointment - Charleston, SC (Estimated wait time 3 months)
Old Nov 9th 2019, 1:03 am
Just Joined

Dorothygale53 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! We soon will be eligible to apply for citizenship also. I was wondering...will you be keeping your UK passports or just get US passports? Is there a good reason to keep your UK one other than for patriotism? Thanks!
Old Nov 9th 2019, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothygale53
Hi! We soon will be eligible to apply for citizenship also. I was wondering...will you be keeping your UK passports or just get US passports? Is there a good reason to keep your UK one other than for patriotism? Thanks!
Yes, we will be keeping our UK passports. I guess it will make it easier to come and go between the 2 countries, especially if you need to stay for extended periods for some reason.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Yes, we will be keeping our UK passports. I guess it will make it easier to come and go between the 2 countries, especially if you need to stay for extended periods for some reason.
Thanks! Makes sense. Good luck with the process 😃
Old Nov 9th 2019, 3:53 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Uk passport (for the moment at least) grants visa free access to some European countries that a US passport does not.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
Uk passport (for the moment at least) grants visa free access to some European countries that a US passport does not.
That is a very good point! But for how long... 🙄
Old Nov 9th 2019, 10:43 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

It’s also safer in many places to travel with a non US passport. I keep all mine in black covers anyway but once you start going of the beaten track I would not advertise being USC. Just remember the rule of thumb is that the county who’s passport you enter on is likely the one that would come to your assistance in an emergency, so for Mexico for example the US passport may have more sway that the UK.
Old Nov 10th 2019, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tht

It’s also safer in many places to travel with a non US passport. I keep all mine in black covers anyway but once you start going of the beaten track I would not advertise being USC. Just remember the rule of thumb is that the county who’s passport you enter on is likely the one that would come to your assistance in an emergency, so for Mexico for example the US passport may have more sway that the UK.
Good advice. Thanks.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

10/17/19 N-400 filed
10/19/19 Notification of Biometrics scheduled (Estimated case completion time 5 months March 2020)
12/31/19 Notification of Citizenship Interview scheduled
02/04/20 Citizenship Interview
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

pejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond repute

10/17/19 N-400 filed
10/19/19 Notification of Biometrics scheduled (Estimated case completion time 5 months March 2020)
12/31/19 Notification of Citizenship Interview scheduled
02/04/20 Citizenship Interview
That’s great. I had my biometrics over a month before you (Denver) and am still waiting to get an interview date.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.