Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Help with VISA!! Do not know where to even begin!!!

Help with VISA!! Do not know where to even begin!!!

Old Nov 2nd 2013, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

morgan1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with VISA!! Do not know where to even begin!!!

It seems strange to just ask for help, but that is what I am doing.

I'm 34 yrs old and currently serving in the British Army and have done so for the last 8 years. I am due to leave in June 2014, with the intention of moving to Charlotte, NC to live with my girlfriend who is a teacher there. (US National)
I have already spoken to NREMT who have assured me that my currently qualifications will transfer across allowing me to register with them as an EMT-Paramedic. All good so far, but I have no idea how or where to start with a visa application as I have no prospective employer, no intention to marry yet, and will not be studying.
In a nut shell, we want to live together, I want to work because I have done so since the age of 16 but don't know where to turn.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by morgan1979; Nov 2nd 2013 at 1:32 pm. Reason: Better Title
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with VISA!! Do not know where to even begin!!!

You can start here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585898

In short, unless you marry your girlfriend, you probably won't be moving to the US.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of

You've discounted a family based visa, a student visa and employment based visa due to not having a prospective employer, so unless one of these 3 sets of circumstances change you don't have an avenue to live and work in the US at the moment.
Best of luck though and thank you for your service.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 1:52 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morgan1979
In a nut shell, we want to live together, I want to work because I have done so since the age of 16 but don't know where to turn.
Not going to happen in the USA given your current circumstances.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

morgan1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies.

So would I be right in thinking that it would be advisable to find an employer first who is willing to sponsor.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replies.

So would I be right in thinking that it would be advisable to find an employer first who is willing to sponsor.
I'm no expert but I'd imagine the chances of being able to get an employment based visa for an EMT as slim to none, especially with so many veterans returning next year.
I think putting a ring on it is your best shot. Sorry for being blunt but like I said in my first reply..best of luck mate!
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.

Only if you qualify for an H1 visa. See the link I posted above for more info.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 2:50 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.

Marry the girlfriend or forget about living and working in the States.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 3:34 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to get a work visa, yes. But from what you've described, it doesn't sound like you're eligible for one.

You don't want to be a student.

You don't want to get married.

You probably don't have enough cash to "buy" a green card ($500K).

There is no "living together with my USC girlfriend to try it out" visa, unfortunately. If there were, a lot of people would be using it.

At the moment, looks like you will be having a long distance relationship until such time that you feel ready to marry. Or, your girlfriend can look into ways of moving to the UK to spend more time together. She's allowed there as a visitor for 6 months, that's a lot of time together...although she won't be able to work.

Rene
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 4:48 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Wedding bells, they are a-ringin'...

Oh and as for likelihood of getting work as an EMT here in the US, I wouldn't count on it. It'd likely mean significant retraining (since regardless of any actually certificates you are dealing with policies and procedures, driving requirements etc), and they aren't paid all that well.

Hint - VISA is a registered trademark, what you're seeking is a Visa

Last edited by civilservant; Nov 2nd 2013 at 4:51 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Someone else would have been bound to say this, but you need a visa, not a VISA (registered trademark).

Think the marriage route is probably your best shot?

Best Wishes,

Hoffage
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 4:55 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoffage123
Someone else would have been bound to say this, but you need a visa, not a VISA (registered trademark).
Beat you to it
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 7:39 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I am due to leave in June 2014, with the intention of moving to Charlotte, NC to live with my girlfriend who is a teacher there. (US National)
As a side note since this thread has mostly petered out, in order for a person to be US national and not a US citizen they must be born in an outlying possession such as American Samoa or Swains Islands. For US immigration discussions, it's best to use the term "US Citizen" whenever possible.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

I have already spoken to NREMT who have assured me that my currently qualifications will transfer across allowing me to register with them as an EMT-Paramedic.
What are your current qualifications?

In addition to your military experience, I assume you are already in possession of a paramedic HCPC pin number, otherwise someone has been pulling your chain. You will still find it virtually impossible to 'transfer' anything even if that is the case. For the record, CMT courses count for pretty much nothing towards civvy paramedic qualifications.

As with the HCPC, the NR will look at a foreign applicants credentials (for a fee) on a 'case-by-case basis', but they have to meet the following criteria to be considered:

1. The applicant's paramedic education must meet or exceed that of the NREMT paramedic standards (transcripts must be provided to reflect this)

2. The applicant's original programme must be affiliated with the CAAHEP

3. The applicant must already hold an EMT-B or or equivalent

4. The applicant must pass the NREMT psychomotor test, which can only be administered by an NR approved examiner

https://www.nremt.org/nremt/download...l%20Policy.pdf

As you can see, this is a considerably different to what you have been told.

It should also be noted that even if the advice you were given was correct (just to repeat, it wasn't), being a paramedic - whether trained in the UK or US - still wouldn't land you a US visa anymore than being a shop assistant would. It is simply not a job in such high demand as to be worthy of one.

Sorry to be blunt, but it looks like it's marriage or nothing.

Last edited by Scott33; Nov 3rd 2013 at 12:27 am.