Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Help for trucker needing to cross into US

Wikiposts

Help for trucker needing to cross into US

Old Sep 28th 2013, 5:32 am
Just Joined

BEAR MAPLE is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Help for trucker needing to cross into US

I'm still in the UK and I am going through the motions for working as a trucker in Canada, but the people I'll work for have asked me if I am admissible to drive over the border into the US to make deliveries.
I have called the US embassy twice and they fobbed me off. I even called the pre-clearance in Dublin, Ireland to ask if they knew how I could find out, and they said I would have to travel to the US and try to get in! How helpful is that?
15 years ago I got a criminal record for something stupid - I had a cricket bat in my car and the police said it was a dangerous weapon and I got done for it. I know, it's daft! Also, when I was 19 and an idiot, I nicked a car with my mates. That was 27 years ago... BUT, does that mean I am inadmissible to the US or not.
Please help as I am not getting any info from the 'official' channels at all.
I will be resident in Canada and working for a Canadian company. Do I need a waiver for the US? Or a non-immigrant visa for the US? If so, what forms will I need to fill out.
Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 5:36 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help for trucker needing to cross into US

Originally Posted by BEAR MAPLE
I'm still in the UK and I am going through the motions for working as a trucker in Canada, but the people I'll work for have asked me if I am admissible to drive over the border into the US to make deliveries.
I have called the US embassy twice and they fobbed me off. I even called the pre-clearance in Dublin, Ireland to ask if they knew how I could find out, and they said I would have to travel to the US and try to get in! How helpful is that?
15 years ago I got a criminal record for something stupid - I had a cricket bat in my car and the police said it was a dangerous weapon and I got done for it. I know, it's daft! Also, when I was 19 and an idiot, I nicked a car with my mates. That was 27 years ago... BUT, does that mean I am inadmissible to the US or not.
I will be resident in Canada and working for a Canadian company. Do I need a waiver for the US? Or a non-immigrant visa for the US? If so, what forms will I need to fill out.
Thanks in advance.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...erstay,-waiver
Old Sep 28th 2013, 8:07 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.
You need to apply for a visa to find out. To get an opinion from the US consulate about your fitness to travel, you need to fill out the form, pay the fee, and go to the interview. You should get your APCO from the UK.

Unless the car theft led to you being found guilty of an offense where the max sentence was more than one year or the sentence suspended or imposed was more than 6 months, it's likely that you don't need a waiver. Merely having the bat/weapon in your car is normally not a problem. The car theft may be a problem unless it was only joyriding. It may come down to if the intent was to permanently deny the owner of the property, what the charge was, and the max sentence possible.

Even if you need a waiver, it will likely be granted based on the time that has passed.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 8:29 am
Just Joined

thank you Aviator.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 8:32 am
Just Joined

thankyou crg much appreciated.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crg
You need to apply for a visa to find out. To get an opinion from the US consulate about your fitness to travel, you need to fill out the form, pay the fee, and go to the interview. You should get your APCO from the UK.

Unless the car theft led to you being found guilty of an offense where the max sentence was more than one year or the sentence suspended or imposed was more than 6 months, it's likely that you don't need a waiver. Merely having the bat/weapon in your car is normally not a problem. The car theft may be a problem unless it was only joyriding. It may come down to if the intent was to permanently deny the owner of the property, what the charge was, and the max sentence possible.

Even if you need a waiver, it will likely be granted based on the time that has passed.

Hi, for the theft of the car I got a fine and the cricket bat/weapon I got 12 months cond. discharge and a fine.
Does this mean I don't need a waiver?
Thanks
Old Sep 28th 2013, 11:46 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, for the theft of the car I got a finez and the cricket bat/weapon I got 12 months cond. discharge and a fine.
Does this mean I don't need a waiver?
With respect, crg told you what you needed to know. The actual punishment you got is irrelevant. What is important, is the maximum punishment you could have received had they decided to throw the book at you. That will be the basis for US immigration's decision. If you don't know the answer to that, you'd best find out.

Ian
Old Sep 28th 2013, 4:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I am not an expert on NAFTA rules as they apply to truck drivers, however under certain circumstances I understand that a truck driver can cross the border to make a delivery in the US, under NAFTA rules and without a visa or other driver-specific permission from the US. This was a part of the NAFTA agreement, and was somewhat controversial as it applied to Mexican trucks entering from the south (because some were reportedly less well maintained than US trucks), and the US delayed implementing the NAFTA rules, in so far as they applied to Mexican trucks, for several years.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW , will you be a permanent resident straightaway or will you be temporary ? Generally if you have a criminal record you will NOT be granted entry into the U.S. as a trucker , period . However you could try applying for an I-94 green card and see what happens , this and a passport are all you need to cross the border as a truck driver . Contact the Dept of Homeland Security at the crossing most frequently used by your prospective employer , and be prepared to bend over and take it

P.S. I you're hauling Hazmat (dangerous goods) you will need a FAST card and that could create more problems if you have history , but this isn't reqd for general freight.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 1:12 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
However you could try applying for an I-94 green card and see what happens...
I'm pretty sure you didn't mean to write it this way, since there is no such thing as an "I-94 green card". What there is, though, is a green I-94W which is used for the Visa Waiver Program.

... this and a passport are all you need to cross the border as a truck driver .
Yes, I agree.

Ian
Old Sep 29th 2013, 2:25 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
Generally if you have a criminal record you will NOT be granted entry into the U.S. as a trucker , period .
There is absolutely no difference between the criminal grounds of inadmissibility for a trucker vs. a tourist.

FAST and other "trusted traveler" programs have their own criteria, but people with minor records that are disclosed have been known to be aproved to participate in FAST.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 3:12 am
Just Joined

Hi everyone. Thanks so far for all your help. It still seems a little greyish to be honest.
Just another query - would it be a good idea to apply for a Canadian pardon to make things easier?
Thanks again.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 3:59 am
crg
American Expat

Hi everyone. Thanks so far for all your help. It still seems a little greyish to be honest.
Just another query - would it be a good idea to apply for a Canadian pardon to make things easier?
Thanks again.
I highly doubt Canada can pardon for a conviction that occurred outside of Canada.

Either way, the US doesn't recognize pardons unless granted by the US president, or governor of a US state. A foreign pardon doesn't have any impact on US admissibility.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 5:33 am
Just Joined

can anyone recommend a good immigration company here in the uk?

many thanks
Old Sep 30th 2013, 6:26 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am not an expert on NAFTA rules as they apply to truck drivers, however under certain circumstances I understand that a truck driver can cross the border to make a delivery in the US, under NAFTA rules and without a visa or other driver-specific permission from the US. This was a part of the NAFTA agreement, and was somewhat controversial as it applied to Mexican trucks entering from the south (because some were reportedly less well maintained than US trucks), and the US delayed implementing the NAFTA rules, in so far as they applied to Mexican trucks, for several years.
NAFTA isn't relevant, he's not Canadian.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.