Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

HELP! Travelling on an ESTA with a criminal record

HELP! Travelling on an ESTA with a criminal record

Old Jan 20th 2012, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

AdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant future
Default Re: HELP! Travelling on an ESTA with a criminal record

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Nice one!

Just be aware that you will probably be hauled into secondary at the POE, so allow that extra time when making travel connections.
Out of interest, my situation with a B2 visa having being arrested only (no conviction or charges), will I be pulled into secondary questioning too, assuming the POE will ask me why I have a B2 and my wife has an ESTA?
Old Jan 20th 2012, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdsUK
Out of interest, my situation with a B2 visa having being arrested only (no conviction or charges), will I be pulled into secondary questioning too, assuming the POE will ask me why I have a B2 and my wife has an ESTA?
You might if, as you say, the CBP officer asks you something which requires your prior arrest to be divulged. But as far as I can tell, you were given a regular B2 visa and are therefore not ineligible for travel to the USA so you may well be alright.

terminalvelociraptor's case is slightly different because they are inadmissible for travel to the USA, have had a B2 visa application refused and have subsequently been granted a waiver of ineligibility.

Last edited by materialcontroller; Jan 20th 2012 at 10:07 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

AdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant future

Correct, it is a regular B2. I just wanted to be prepared for whether there was a guaranteed wait at POE if i'm asked!
Old Jan 20th 2012, 10:14 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Correct, it is a regular B2. I just wanted to be prepared for whether there was a guaranteed wait at POE if i'm asked!
I think you'll be OK.

Let's put it another way. You have less chance of being sent to secondary than somebody who is travelling on a 12 month waiver of ineligibility!

Hope your trip works out well.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, if I do then cest la vie...

Out of interest what do they do in secondary? Bring Jack Bauer out and get him to shout nooooooooo...!
Old Jan 20th 2012, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

Thanks, if I do then cest la vie...

Out of interest what do they do in secondary? Bring Jack Bauer out and get him to shout nooooooooo...!
When I got put in secondary I had a nice boring 30 minute wait followed by lots of questions. Many of them were the same as I'd been asked at my B2 visa interview in London about 6 months previously. The CBP officer wanted to know all about my arrests and offending, all about my gf in TX, all about my work (including stuff like my boss's name and phone number) as well as what I planned to do during my visit, how much cash and access to credit cards I had. This took at least another 30 minutes so I was in there for a little over an hour in total.