Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Help on traveling on expired PR card

Wikiposts

Help on traveling on expired PR card

Old Sep 14th 2006, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

Shish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really nice
Default Help on traveling on expired PR card

Hi everyone not sure if this has been asked before. I have applied for my removal of conditions but my permanent residence card has expired while I am waiting to here anything.
The thing is I need to travel in the next few weeks do I need to apply for travel on the I-131 form and pay $170 just to go home for a few weeks or is there another way. I have to go home now and can't wait until I get my letter from them that if I am correct will extend my permanent residence card for one year while my case is pending.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 5:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help on traveling on expired PR card

Originally Posted by Shish kebab
Hi everyone not sure if this has been asked before. I have applied for my removal of conditions but my permanent residence card has expired while I am waiting to here anything.
The thing is I need to travel in the next few weeks do I need to apply for travel on the I-131 form and pay $170 just to go home for a few weeks or is there another way. I have to go home now and can't wait until I get my letter from them that if I am correct will extend my permanent residence card for one year while my case is pending.
You don't need the I-131 anyway, since you are now a PR. If you mean getting an AP, I don't know if they would even issue one, since you're now a PR. Besides, that takes about 2 or 3 months to obtain, you'll never get it in time to travel in the next few weeks.

You can try making an Infopass appointment at your local office, and ask them for the I-551 stamp in your passport. However, not sure if they'll issue that either without the extension letter.

Also, not sure if you can leave the USA now, and have someone here send you the extension letter when it comes in. My fear in that would be, what if you need to return to the USA and you don't have your extension letter yet?

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will clarify.

Rene
Old Sep 14th 2006, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

leebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You don't need the I-131 anyway, since you are now a PR. If you mean getting an AP, I don't know if they would even issue one, since you're now a PR. Besides, that takes about 2 or 3 months to obtain, you'll never get it in time to travel in the next few weeks.

You can try making an Infopass appointment at your local office, and ask them for the I-551 stamp in your passport. However, not sure if they'll issue that either without the extension letter.

Also, not sure if you can leave the USA now, and have someone here send you the extension letter when it comes in. My fear in that would be, what if you need to return to the USA and you don't have your extension letter yet?

Rene
How recently did you apply for removal of conditions? I received an NOA about 2 weeks after I applied, and that letter states that it extends your green card for one year, just carry it with you

When I was in the office last week they refused to give the I-551 stamp to the woman in front of me even though she had the letter, stating that it was not required as she had the letter, and therefore they wouldnt give it. They also said if she hadn't yet received the NOA they would not be able to issue it as they have no way to confirm you have actually submitted it

Without the NOA or a stamp I would not recommend travelling, but I am not a lawyer or an immigration expert.

Lee
Old Sep 14th 2006, 11:37 am
Templar

> Hi everyone not sure if this has been asked before. I have applied for
> my removal of conditions but my permanent residence card has expired
> while I am waiting to here anything.
> The thing is I need to travel in the next few weeks do I need to apply
> for travel on the I-131 form and pay $170 just to go home for a few
> weeks or is there another way. I have to go home now and can't wait
> until I get my letter from them that if I am correct will extend my
> permanent residence card for one year while my case is pending.

You can just leave the country and
relax, be patient, have a faith, pray, etc etc.... (advices from the
resident experts. Follow at your own risk. )

My tuppence would be: you shouldn't leave the country before you get
a letter stating that you got a year extension on your green card.
Without it, you really have nothing else to show that you are a
valid resident.

--

Old Sep 16th 2006, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

Shish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really nice

Originally Posted by leebarton
How recently did you apply for removal of conditions? I received an NOA about 2 weeks after I applied, and that letter states that it extends your green card for one year, just carry it with you

When I was in the office last week they refused to give the I-551 stamp to the woman in front of me even though she had the letter, stating that it was not required as she had the letter, and therefore they wouldnt give it. They also said if she hadn't yet received the NOA they would not be able to issue it as they have no way to confirm you have actually submitted it

Without the NOA or a stamp I would not recommend travelling, but I am not a lawyer or an immigration expert.

Lee
Thanks guys for your information the day I sent this post I later checked the mail and there was my letter. That was a relief to me as I wasn't sure how long it was until I would get my letter.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

alect is just really nicealect is just really nicealect is just really nicealect is just really nicealect is just really nicealect is just really nicealect is just really nicealect is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
This sort of relates to a question I posed in another thread. We always hear that status and proof of status are two separate things. Following that logic then, if the OP has status but not proof of status doesn't that mean that at the POE they should be able to see her status (albeit on her expired card) and thus establish her eligibility for entry into the US (whether she has the NOA as proof of status beyond the date on the GC)?