British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   help needed please questions about h2a visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/help-needed-please-questions-about-h2a-visa-851412/)

grant r Jan 24th 2015 7:38 pm

help needed please questions about h2a visa

hi all, I have some questions about the h2a visa.
im from England and hopefully in the near future I'll have the opportunity to go to America on a h2a visa but im not sure if or what police record check I would need?
also what will it show? 20 years ago I was arrested for drink driving but past the computer at the police station, 13 years ago I was arrested and charged with criminal damage and was bound over for a year. and 3 years ago I was accused and arrested for something which was later dropped. any advice please?

Hotscot Jan 24th 2015 7:58 pm

Re: help needed please questions about h2a visa

Why do you think you will have the opportunity?

grant r Jan 24th 2015 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11544263)
Why do you think you will have the opportunity?

because ive spoken to a guy over here hiring for the harvest runs and not trying to count my chickens but it sounds positive, can you offer any help on my questions?

ian-mstm Jan 24th 2015 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by grant r (Post 11544247)
... im not sure if or what police record check I would need?

ACPO.

... also what will it show?
It will show... the truth. The two oldest offenses might show as "No Trace", but the most recent offense will likely show as either what it was or "No Live Trace". I find it amusing that you don't say what the most recent offense was, although you were happy to list the first two!

Hint = Google is your friend.

Ian

grant r Jan 24th 2015 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 11544294)
ACPO.

It will show... the truth. The two oldest offenses might show as "No Trace", but the most recent offense will likely show as either what it was or "No Live Trace". I find it amusing that you don't say what the most recent offense was, although you were happy to list the first two!

Ian

Well it wasn't amusing to me at the time, so I take it then that because the case was dropped that it doesn't show on the acpo?

ian-mstm Jan 24th 2015 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by grant r (Post 11544309)
Well it wasn't amusing to me at the time, so I take it then that because the case was dropped that it doesn't show on the acpo?

Unfortunately, there's no way to know in advance what will show up. If you want to live the adventure, you pay the ticket price to get into the show... otherwise, you stay where you are. It's that simple.

Ian

grant r Feb 11th 2015 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 11544294)
ACPO.

Ian

so my acro is back and is it good news?
firstly it shows a caution back in 2000 for criminal damage (I locked myself out of my rented flat and broke in, a neighbour called the police and hey presto went to court and got a caution)
and secondly I forgot to answer bail for the above offence so a warrant was issued for my arrest (obviously I handed myself when I heard this ) but it doesn't show that and I got a fine.
I know these sound worse than what they were back then so because it was so long ago should I declare them? and if I do will they listen to my explanation or take it as black and white?

Noorah101 Feb 11th 2015 4:57 pm

If you have EVER been arrested, you need to declare such, if asked on any forms or in person. Who is "they"?

I'd collect all your paperwork from those incidents, just in case you are asked to show how the case(s) were resolved.

Rene

grant r Feb 11th 2015 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 11562701)

I'd collect all your paperwork from those incidents, just in case you are asked to show how the case(s) were resolved.

Rene

it says on the acro that the criminal damage was resolved with a court caution and the warrant was dealt with a fine. will they need anymore information?

ian-mstm Feb 11th 2015 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by grant r (Post 11562683)
I know these sound worse than what they were back then so because it was so long ago should I declare them?

The visa question asks whether or not you have ever been arrested. You are obligated to say "yes". The length of time has nothing to do with whether or not the incident happened... and you can't undo the past.

... if I do...
You must! You don't get the option not to.

... will they listen to my explanation or take it as black and white?
They'll very likely listen to your explanation.

Ian

grant r Feb 11th 2015 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 11562725)
The visa question asks whether or not you have ever been arrested. You are obligated to say "yes". The length of time has nothing to do with whether or not the incident happened... and you can't undo the past.

You must! You don't get the option not to.

They'll very likely listen to your explanation.

Ian

ok, thanks for the reply.