Help Needed!!

Old Jun 12th 2003, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Kimberly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help Needed!!

My daughter was told she has to have a document stating she has never been married, before she and her fiance can proceed with the civil ceremony in Mexico.
Where in the world do we get this? Has anyone ever heard of this before?
My daughter is getting married August 16 in Mexico. They will start the visa process after two years, since he will be subject to a three year ban. (Any of you who have read my previous posts) I have to say it feels sooooo good to know it is all being done by the law!
Kim
Old Jun 12th 2003, 1:59 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Needed!!

Originally posted by Kimberly
My daughter was told she has to have a document stating she has never been married, before she and her fiance can proceed with the civil ceremony in Mexico.
My daughter is getting married August 16 in Mexico. They will start the visa process after two years, since he will be subject to a three year ban. (Any of you who have read my previous posts) I have to say it feels sooooo good to know it is all being done by the law!
Kim
Typically this is a statement sworn out in front of the Consular staff at the Embassy. They often have a form in both languages prepared. It will cost less than $100 for the privledge. When researching my own needed certificate, I saw that someone got one from their Secretary of State, but I have no idea if the Mexican gov't will accept such a paper. Check the website of the Embassy nearest to her in Mexico to find details (look under American Citizen Services).

At least she's got lots of time to dig it up! Glad to hear the kids have it worked out; living in Mexico will be very rewarding, I'm sure!
Old Jun 13th 2003, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

asim is an unknown quantity at this point

Kim

maybe go to ur local county office and ask them if they can gice u a certificate... i am sure they might have some way of checking when u are applying for a marriage licence as to whether u are married before or not... Also secondly maybe a notarized letter saying that from u and ur daughter...
Old Jun 13th 2003, 4:41 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by asim
maybe go to ur local county office and ask them if they can gice u a certificate... i am sure they might have some way of checking when u are applying for a marriage licence as to whether u are married before or not... Also secondly maybe a notarized letter saying that from u and ur daughter...
This document is not to satisfy our collective interpretation of 'proving I'm not/never been married'. This is impossible in the US, anyway.

The document must satisfy the registrar's office in Mexico, and no one else, as they will use it to issue the marriage license. This is what the US Embassy/Consul is there for (to clarify rules & help navigate local gov't sometimes). I just reviewed my emails from the time I was pursuing my own certificate, and the Consulate said 'we don't care what you get or where you get it, we don't require it. If you can get it past the local Greeks, go for it'.
Old Jun 13th 2003, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Can she get this document done while she is here in the US? Where would she go? She is in Georgia for the next couple of months.
Thanks,
Kim
Old Jun 13th 2003, 10:48 am

Can she get this document done while she is here in the US? Where would she go? She is in Georgia for the next couple of months.
Thanks,
Kim

As I said, I read that someone did it from the States beforehand (this is an "invented" document; it does not exist in US law) but it's not me, or the Sec'y of State in Georgia that you have to convince, it's the Mexican judge/official issuing the license in Mexico that has to be satisfied.

Put the boyfriend on it; it will be a good project for him to find out *and* he speaks the language.
mo
Old Jun 13th 2003, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by meauxna
As I said, I read that someone did it from the States beforehand (this is an "invented" document; it does not exist in US law) but it's not me, or the Sec'y of State in Georgia that you have to convince, it's the Mexican judge/official issuing the license in Mexico that has to be satisfied.

Put the boyfriend on it; it will be a good project for him to find out *and* he speaks the language.
mo

I made alot of calls today and the State Vital Statistics in her home state, Alaska has heard of such a document. I sent them a copy of her passport and $15.00 and they will issue her a certificate of non-marital status! One more expensive spanish translation to do! ( I hope).
Thank you so much for your help!!
Kim
Old Jun 14th 2003, 5:15 am

I made alot of calls today and the State Vital Statistics in her home state, Alaska has heard of such a document. I sent them a copy of her passport and $15.00 and they will issue her a certificate of non-marital status! One more expensive spanish translation to do! ( I hope).
Thank you so much for your help!!
Kim
WooHoo! Great news. You don't need an 'expensive' translation though...try the University near by or other resources. There's no 'official' translator required, just someone who is competant in both languages.

You might look into having Alaska add something called an Apostille, although I don't know that it is required for Mexico.