Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Help! Need Sponsor that will employ UK BA grad on entry level!

Help! Need Sponsor that will employ UK BA grad on entry level!

Old Jun 30th 2010, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

fayerabb is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Help! Need Sponsor that will employ UK BA grad on entry level!

My boy friend is from England, currently in San Antonio, Texas on an F1 student visa. But he does have a bachelors degree that he earned from a university in England in 'Creative Digital Media' .... aka he's a computer geek.
Anyways, we have been trying and trying and trying to find someone who will employ him and we just don't know where to find a company or employer who will give us a break or at least a chance.

Does anyone know of an employer who would possibly help us out?????
Or know of anything that would be remotely helpful to this situation???

Thanks

Last edited by fayerabb; Jun 30th 2010 at 3:28 pm. Reason: change of icon
Old Jun 30th 2010, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Need Sponsor that will employ UK BA grad on entry level!

Originally Posted by fayerabb
Or know of anything that would be remotely helpful to this situation???
If you are a US citizen, marriage.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 3:46 pm
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

What's his F1 for ? He might be eligible for a Work Permit due to availability of Optional Practical Training (also known as OPT) Once he finishes his Bachelors (i know you said he has one already) or Masters Degree

It's much easier to convince someone to keep you than to convince them to hire you, and it buys him another year.

As Duncan Roberts said, Marriage is a solution too (The Total Solution, if you ask me. Will fix the immigration issue right up)
Old Jun 30th 2010, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
If you are a US citizen, marriage.
we aren't ready to get married... and to marry for a visa isn't really something that should be a huge basis for marriage. His degree was earned from the University of Teeside. He's currently going to SAC San Antonio College for broadcasting but tuition is becoming heftier and heavier... and working on CPT or OPT isn't even enough to begin to cover the costs because it's only 20hrs of work per week at a wage of about $8.00 and when tuition is $3,500 plus going taking a full course load... I don't know who could swing it.

Last edited by fayerabb; Jun 30th 2010 at 3:54 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 3:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

All he can do is keep up with networking, sending resumes, looking online, etc. Just the normal way anyone would go about looking for employment. It's very difficult to find a job in the USA, even for a USC. To have him need a work visa on top of that is just another reason for an employer to say no.

What is your goal? Do you want to eventually get married and settle down here in the USA? The best way to do that is to marry sooner rather than later. That would also solve the problem of him needing a work visa....it will make him more attractive to companies, knowing they won't have to shell out a fortune just to hire him.

Rene
Old Jun 30th 2010, 3:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

we aren't ready to get married...
In that case, never mind that part of my post. You are wise to wait until you are actually ready to get married to go forward with that step. Unfortunately, it might mean spending time in a long distance relationship if he can't find an employer to sponsor him.

and to marry for a visa isn't really something that should be a huge basis for marriage.
You are absolutely correct. Marrying for the sole purpose of obtaining an immigration benefit is fraud and is illegal, anyway. But you might want to think about marriage so that you can continue to live together on the same continent...that is, whenever you feel ready to take the marriage step.

Rene
Old Jun 30th 2010, 3:59 pm
A I

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Could he freelance with this existing degree ? If so, a US Citizen could form a company and hire him on H1-B, and employ him as Sales person, as well as worker in whatever his field is, so he could work.

very tricky and convoluted, but a last resort I thought worth mentioning.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
In that case, never mind that part of my post. You are wise to wait until you are actually ready to get married to go forward with that step. Unfortunately, it might mean spending time in a long distance relationship if he can't find an employer to sponsor him.

You are absolutely correct. Marrying for the sole purpose of obtaining an immigration benefit is fraud and is illegal, anyway. But you might want to think about marriage so that you can continue to live together on the same continent...that is, whenever you feel ready to take the marriage step.

Rene
We wanna get married... at some point. And I've known him for along time actually I've knew him 8 years before I physically met him we were in our VERY early teens we were both from towns out in the middle of nowhere and so the internet was an escape we kept in contact and about 3 to for years ago he came here on a vacation then in May 2009 he came here on an F1... now we are spoiled and hate the idea of being long distance again.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by A I
Could he freelance with this existing degree ? If so, a US Citizen could form a company and hire him on H1-B, and employ him as Sales person, as well as worker in whatever his field is, so he could work.

foreigners aren't allowed to be self employed... maybe I don't understand what you mean???
Old Jun 30th 2010, 4:06 pm
A I

Originally Posted by A I

US Citizen such as yourself.

Again, not entirely a great idea, and somewhat creative, but something I thought worth mentioning.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by A I

Again, not entirely a great idea, and somewhat creative, but something I thought worth mentioning.
I wouldn't even know how to begin that....
Old Jun 30th 2010, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by A I

I thought about doing something like that when I was looking for ways to bring my fiance to the USA. My sister and I were going to open a rug repair shop, and then hire Sadegh to come and work for it. The immigration attorney I spoke with said that was a VERY expensive, VERY time-consuming, VERY difficult effort to go through, when our main goal was to just live together on the same continent.

You have to go through all the process of proving no USC can do the job, besides the expense of starting up the company, the expense of the visa process all falls on the USC's shoulders, etc. It's not a do-it-yourself process, either, so lawyers fees will be high.

Of course the OP can consult with an immigration attorney to see if that route has any feasability, but my guess is that it probably does not.

Rene
Old Jun 30th 2010, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I thought about doing something like that when I was looking for ways to bring my fiance to the USA. My sister and I were going to open a rug repair shop, and then hire Sadegh to come and work for it. The immigration attorney I spoke with said that was a VERY expensive, VERY time-consuming, VERY difficult effort to go through, when our main goal was to just live together on the same continent.

You have to go through all the process of proving no USC can do the job, besides the expense of starting up the company, the expense of the visa process all falls on the USC's shoulders, etc. It's not a do-it-yourself process, either, so lawyers fees will be high.

Of course the OP can consult with an immigration attorney to see if that route has any feasability, but my guess is that it probably does not.

Rene
Ugh, are there no employers in Texas with a philanthropic compass?
Old Jun 30th 2010, 4:34 pm

Ugh, are there no employers in Texas with a philanthropic compass?
Where has he looked already? What has he done already? Where does he have his resume posted already?

Rene
Old Jun 30th 2010, 4:39 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

No doubt you're frustrated, but your "Why won't someone gives us a break?" post smacks of entitlement.

Why should an employer spend thousands of dollars attempting to obtain a visa for your boyfriend when there's a recession on, with loads of IT folk unemployed?

It's not going to happen. So your bf either needs to become a leader in his field, or find niche skills, or work for a company that has offices over here and he can an intracompany transfer, or get married.

That's it in a nutshell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.