Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

HELP! Need advice about moving to the USA

HELP! Need advice about moving to the USA

Old May 26th 2001, 12:16 am
Mr Pibb
Posts: n/a

I am a UK citizen. My girlfriend (US citizen) and I met nearly 3 years ago and she
came to the UK to study for the last 2 years. Her visa expires at the end of August
so we had been planning to go to the US at the end of June. I applied for a B-2 Visa
so that I could spend 6 months there, but received a rejection letter. We planned to
marry at some point, but it looks like we might have to go ahead sooner than
expected, but we are a little unclear on the procedures.

Our options are:

1) I spend 3 months in the US on the Visa waiver scheme and review the situation
after that time.

2) We marry here before my girlfiend's visa expires.

3) We look into marrying in the USA.

Basically, the dilemma is that we do not want to spend any time apart, but we are
unsure of the best way to stay together.

If we marry here before returning to the US, do I need to do anything to be able to
stay in the US indefinely. To begin with, it would be fine if I was unable to work...
but if I was able to work it would be ideal.

I have been working full time and have saved as much as possible (for the 6 month
stay). After reading some of the other postings, several mention a Sponsor... Why
might a sponsor be needed and who is eligible?

Many thanks for any advice on this matter

Old May 26th 2001, 12:53 am
Alvena Ferreira
Posts: n/a

Mr Pibb wrote:
This page from the US consulate in the UK indicates you may not be eligible for visa
waiver due to having been denied a visitor visa:
After a legal marriage, you can find info on how to apply for immigrant visa to the
US here: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/visa/iv/immrel.htm Here is a link to a
page by someone who did this procedure successfully:
Here is the INS page link on the I-864 affidavit of support, there are several links
there that you may want to check out, including links to the law about the affidavit.


I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, this is information in the public
domain that anyone can access if they know the location of the information. As in
real estate, the three most important things with immigration appear to be location,
location, and location.
Old May 26th 2001, 1:07 am
Rete's Avatar
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 46,500
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Since your gf has legal right to reside in England, your best approach would be to marry there and apply through the US Consulate for your ajustment of status via the I-130. I suggest you read the following for more details on DCF.


A sponsor is needed because someone has to show that they can support you. Since she is a student and obviously has not earned enough income for the last three years to show earnings of 125% of the poverty guidelines, you will need a co-sponsor. This can be her parents, a friend, etc. They and she will need to complete an affidavit of support (I-864).

Rete is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.