Help with N400 at Tampa

Old Aug 20th 2002, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Seahorsea1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with N400 at Tampa

Has anyone recently had an interview at Tampa for naturalization re N400?
I have a friend who is going for their interview in September.
The INS have requested that they take their UK passport!!!!! Which is a little bit of a concern as they would like to retain their UK citizenship. Does anyone know what they will do with the passport at the interview? I hope the answer is 'just look at it" and not cancel it!!!!
Can anyone help with the questions as well? Is it multiple choice at Tampa, or is it a verbal test?
At the end of the day, they just want to make sure that they can have dual citizenship. Is there anything they have to do to makesure that they keep their UK citizenship.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Aug 20th 2002, 3:18 pm
Helen Rose

Default Re: Help with N400 at Tampa

member <[email protected]> writes:

> Has anyone recently had an interview at Tampa for naturalization re N400? I have
    > a friend who is going for their interview in September. The INS have requested
    > that they take their UK passport!!!!! Which is a little bit of a concern as they
    > would like to retain their UK citizenship. Does anyone know what they will do
    > with the passport at the interview? I hope the answer is 'just look at it" and
    > not cancel it!!!!

They can't cancel it. It's not your friend's property. The passport is literally the
property of Her Majesty's Government.

On the off chance they DID cancel it, your friend can apply for another passport
very easily.

> At the end of the day, they just want to make sure that they can have dual
    > citizenship. Is there anything they have to do to makesure that they keep their UK
    > citizenship.

I presume you've looked at
http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

--Helen

Old Aug 20th 2002, 3:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Seahorsea1:
Has anyone recently had an interview at Tampa for naturalization re N400?
I have a friend who is going for their interview in September.
The INS have requested that they take their UK passport!!!!! Which is a little bit of a concern as they would like to retain their UK citizenship. Does anyone know what they will do with the passport at the interview? I hope the answer is 'just look at it" and not cancel it!!!!
Can anyone help with the questions as well? Is it multiple choice at Tampa, or is it a verbal test?
At the end of the day, they just want to make sure that they can have dual citizenship. Is there anything they have to do to makesure that they keep their UK citizenship.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Sea

At the time of the interview they should bring with them all the evidence validating the status of their marriage if they are applying for naturalization based on marriage to a USC Spouse. The purpose of the passport is not so INS can confiscate it but to prove the identity of the person being interviewed and their current citizenship. As a point of reference, if you pass the testing and the interview results in an approval, they are still not US citizens. This does not occur until a later date when they attend the swearing in ceremony. As for the testing, I understand from news group posters and from my two friends who became US citizens here in New York City last year, that the test is given verbally and it is not multiple choice and that they were given a writing test. The examiner will say a short sentence and they will have to write it in English. For a Brit that should not be a problem even if they continue to spell color colour ;-)

Rete

PS The US Government does not have the authority to cancel a passport issued by another government. So they can stop worrying about that issue.
Old Aug 20th 2002, 7:38 pm
Amer20034

Default Dual Citizenship

>At the end of the day, they just want to make sure that they can have dual
    >citizenship.

They just want to take advantage of what the U.S. has to offer them when things are
good here, and if things get bad, they want to run away to their beloved homeland.

This Dual Citizenship thing is bad news for America.

Old Aug 20th 2002, 8:33 pm
Liwen Liang

They will just look at it for verification. They can't take the passport away, after
all, it is the property of UK, not US. They need to make sure that your trips outside
the US is consistant with what your friend put on the naturalization application.
They also need to make sure that your friend did enter US legally.

Seahorsea1 <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Has anyone recently had an interview at Tampa for naturalization re N400? I have a
    > friend who is going for their interview in September. The INS have requested that
    > they take their UK passport!!!!! Which is a little bit of a concern as they would
    > like to retain their UK citizenship. Does anyone know what they will do with the
    > passport at the interview? I hope the answer is 'just look at it" and not cancel
    > it!!!! Can anyone help with the questions as well? Is it multiple choice at Tampa,
    > or is it a verbal test? At the end of the day, they just want to make sure that
    > they can have dual citizenship. Is there anything they have to do to makesure that
    > they keep their UK citizenship. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old Aug 20th 2002, 9:48 pm
L D Jones

Default Re: Dual Citizenship

Amer20034 wrote:
    > >At the end of the day, they just want to make sure that they can have dual
    > >citizenship.
    > They just want to take advantage of what the U.S. has to offer them when things are
    > good here, and if things get bad, they want to run away to their beloved homeland.
    > This Dual Citizenship thing is bad news for America.

I disagree. The dual citizenship-related laws have changed for the better in the
last 25 years.

Old Aug 21st 2002, 1:13 am
Stephen Gallagher

> Has anyone recently had an interview at Tampa for naturalization re N400? I have
    > a friend who is going for their interview in September. The INS have requested
    > that they take their UK passport!!!!! Which is a little bit of a concern as they
    > would like to retain their UK citizenship. Does anyone know what they will do
    > with the passport at the interview? I hope the answer is 'just look at it" and
    > not cancel it!!!!

They will not, in fact they cannot, cancel it. Only the British government can cancel
a British passport. And even if the INS did stamp the word "cancelled" or if they
confiscated the passport it would not affect your friend's British citizenship. Your
friend would simply go to a British consulate and apply for a new one.

> At the end of the day, they just want to make sure that they can have dual
    > citizenship. Is there anything they have to do to makesure that they keep their UK
    > citizenship.

They don't have to do anything. There is nothing that the US government can do to
take away your friend's British citizenship.

Old Aug 21st 2002, 4:42 am
Chong

Is it easy to get another visa?

I know if you lost your Malaysia passport, the govt will not give you another one.
They will only give you a temporary visa that expire every 5 yrs or so.

Its not the visa that stay on forever until the pages are filled.

I think every country is different.

Also Malaysia does not allow dual citizenship and that suck.

I have to be very sure they dont take my Malaysia passport when I do my N400 or I
will be fark .. :-)

On 20 Aug 2002 18:13:07 -0700, [email protected] (Stephen Gallagher) wrote:

>> Has anyone recently had an interview at Tampa for naturalization re N400? I have
    >> a friend who is going for their interview in September. The INS have requested
    >> that they take their UK passport!!!!! Which is a little bit of a concern as they
    >> would like to retain their UK citizenship. Does anyone know what they will do
    >> with the passport at the interview? I hope the answer is 'just look at it" and
    >> not cancel it!!!!
    >They will not, in fact they cannot, cancel it. Only the British government can
    >cancel a British passport. And even if the INS did stamp the word "cancelled" or if
    >they confiscated the passport it would not affect your friend's British citizenship.
    >Your friend would simply go to a British consulate and apply for a new one.
    >> At the end of the day, they just want to make sure that they can have dual
    >> citizenship. Is there anything they have to do to makesure that they keep their UK
    >> citizenship.
    >They don't have to do anything. There is nothing that the US government can do to
    >take away your friend's British citizenship.

Old Aug 21st 2002, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Seahorsea1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dual Citizenship

You seem to think that England is a third world country and the standard of living is better on this side of the pond!!!!! I won't get into that.
What you need to realise is that many people are here for one reason and that reason ONLY. Their spouse is here, and to be with them they have to come here. It's not out of 'choice".

I think 19 years of continuously residing in the US, has shown that my friend in question, has no intention of deserting a sinking ship when the going gets tough, because she wants to retain her birth right!!!!