British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   HELP! Just been laid off (here on H1-B) what do I need to do!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/help-just-been-laid-off-here-h1-b-what-do-i-need-do-621614/)

Noorah101 Jul 31st 2009 4:40 am

Re: HELP! Just been laid off (here on H1-B) what do I need to do!!

Originally Posted by Pipmeister (Post 7799844)
I take it that the I131 fee is separate and not included in the "AoS package" fee.

That's incorrect. The I-131 fee is included in the $1,010 fee for AOS.

I am not going to apply for the I131 with the AoS as technically my H1-B is still valid if I find a job very soon and don't have a break in my paystubs. It would seem strange if I were to apply for a I131 if I am here on an an H1-B.
Not strange at all. If I were you, I'd file the I-131 since there's no extra fee for it. If you lose your H1B status, you'll have no way of taking a trip abroad while waiting for your AOS to process. Better safe than sorry.

As for the G325a forms - was there a conclusion to the "1 page, 4 pages" debate? When I took the form off the USCIS a couple of weeks ago (the one which supposedly expired at the end of June 2009!!!) and filled it in, then printed it off.. it printed 4 copies. This new revision (06/30/11) doesn't seem to print off 4 copies.
It seems they've settled on the 1-page format....for now, anyway.

Also - what is it with this form - you try and use the Adobe verion to type it in and for one, the dates fields don't fit, and they give you no room to type anything!!
I think they're still working out the glitches. Print off what you can, and fill the rest in by hand with a pen.

Rene

Pipmeister Jul 31st 2009 2:10 pm

oh well, if that is the case you're right, Rene, I might as well apply!

So, almost done now. Only one thing still to make sure of - do all AoS "packages" have to go to the Chicago "lockbox" or our local USCIS Service Center (which just happens to be here in Houston)?

Noorah101 Jul 31st 2009 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Pipmeister (Post 7801471)

So, almost done now. Only one thing still to make sure of - do all AoS "packages" have to go to the Chicago "lockbox" or our local USCIS Service Center (which just happens to be here in Houston)?

Chicago. Make sure you get the correct address off the I-485 cover page at www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms, I-485.

Rene

meauxna Jul 31st 2009 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Pipmeister (Post 7801471)

The instructions on the form download page break down where each type of I-485 application is submitted.
Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status

edit; you will also want to read the 'Special Instructions' on that page carefully regarding I-131 & I-765.