Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

HELP! Just been laid off (here on H1-B) what do I need to do!!

HELP! Just been laid off (here on H1-B) what do I need to do!!

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 8:55 pm
Goooner!

Pipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to all
Default Re: HELP! Just been laid off (here on H1-B) what do I need to do!!

Wiki has been read, read again and I'll get my better half to read it a 3rd and 4th time.

Thanks, again!
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:54 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
...The medical results are returned to you in a sealed envelope which you include in your AOS package...
And FFS don't open the bloody envelope!

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Man, I hear you, I'm nervous as I have no convenient USC wife to fall back on. My company just laid off another couple of hundred folks today. I'm told I am fine for now, but it seems even the mighty O1 is impotent when it comes to job cuts.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 1:31 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Man, I hear you, I'm nervous as I have no convenient USC wife to fall back on.
Things can be arranged.

But don't use that 'i' word... just a tip for ya there.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 1:49 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Things can be arranged.

But don't use that 'i' word... just a tip for ya there.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

malj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Man, I hear you, I'm nervous as I have no convenient USC wife to fall back on. My company just laid off another couple of hundred folks today. I'm told I am fine for now, but it seems even the mighty O1 is impotent when it comes to job cuts.
Caley! That's terrible! Best of luck and hopefully they don't lay you off. From a practical standpoint though - if they went through all of the effort of getting you an O1 visa, it would seem unlikely you would be one of the unlucky ones. Here's hoping. I've been on an E3 and now H1B since 2 months before the shi*t hit the fan last year and it certainly is worrying. Anyway, best of luck.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 4:25 pm
Goooner!

Pipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to all

Does anyone know the process (and how easy, costly) it is to get the H1-B Visa transfered over to a new employer?

It would be handy to know if someone has been through this process - I am guessing employers might be put off it they think it will cost them or take several weeks.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

crosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pipmeister
Does anyone know the process (and how easy, costly) it is to get the H1-B Visa transfered over to a new employer?

It would be handy to know if someone has been through this process - I am guessing employers might be put off it they think it will cost them or take several weeks.
Hey ,
I still don't understand why you want to do this. Your marriage to a US citizen

will resolve your problem immediately in case you file AOS.

You maybe find a employer who is willing to wait until you have your EAD.

My company would transfer H1B and I also know several other companies.

But this depends on your skills and how much they need you!

I don't know the costs.

Kind Regards
CCR
Old Jul 24th 2009, 4:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how much time it takes to get a new employer and get the transfer done, but you might even have your EAD by that time.

Rene
Old Jul 24th 2009, 5:08 pm
Goooner!

The USCIS system was down this morning - but now up.
Apparentyly you can begin working for the new employer immediately you have your case submitted and receive a case number - you don't have to wait for the full approval.

Ultimately, if I find a new employer next week this means I can begin being paid again (or at least be on the payroll) in around 4-5 weeks.

I am still filing for the AoS - but we can't send that off for another 3 days due to waiting for medical results etc.. and even still it could be 3 months before I receive my AoS EAD which means it could be at least 4 months before I can get on someone's payroll - still got to find a job. If there is job going next week it would seem only sensible to go down the Transfer route.

It will cost the new employer only the fee of filing the I-129 again around $355 dollars which they can take out of my first pay check - I don't care!!
Old Jul 25th 2009, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

John Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud of

I would add the following: If this is an intended adjustment of status based on marriage to a USC, I have always filed these applications with 2 G-325s, one for the U.S. Citizen and one for the intending immigrant. I include 2 photos for the USC and six for the immigrant. I also include the WR-702.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
All the necessary AOS forms are online. They are pdf files and can be filled out online and then printed. All need original signatures.

You can find them all at www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms.

You will need:
I-130
I-485
G-325A
I-864
I-765
I-131

Plus a full medical done by a USCIS approved doctor (the list of doctors is on the USCIS webiste somewhere). The medical results are returned to you in a sealed envelope which you include in your AOS package.

The whole AOS package gets sent to the address listed on the I-485.

Rene
Old Jul 25th 2009, 6:53 am
Goooner!

Why would my wife need a biometric? Come to think of it I shouldn't really as I had this all done in September at the US Embassy in London for my H1B.. but I can't see me getting away with that.

What is a WR702
Old Jul 25th 2009, 2:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pipmeister
Why would my wife need a biometric? Come to think of it I shouldn't really as I had this all done in September at the US Embassy in London for my H1B.. but I can't see me getting away with that.

What is a WR702
Are you talking about the G-325A Biographical information form? Or are you talking about the biometrics fingerprinting?

Either way, when you adjust status to permanent resident via marriage to a USC, you basically are starting all over with immigration again. You'll need to comply with the requirements of all the new forms, including and repeating any information you might have given them before, for a different visa.

Part of the requirements for the I-130 and I-485 is providing a G-325A for each of you - Biographical Information.

Biometrics fingerprints are done for the immigrant at every step of the way. Even if you had them before, for a different visa, they'll do them again for your AOS. Then they'll do them again if you have to apply to remove conditions. Then they'll do them again if you ever become a USC.

Rene
Old Jul 25th 2009, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbj1000
And FFS don't open the bloody envelope!

And make sure you sign ALL the medical forms before the envelope is sealed by the doc. (this resulted in a 4 year delay in my wife's green card application)
Old Jul 31st 2009, 1:44 am
Goooner!

I take it that the I131 fee is separate and not included in the "AoS package" fee.

I am not going to apply for the I131 with the AoS as technically my H1-B is still valid if I find a job very soon and don't have a break in my paystubs. It would seem strange if I were to apply for a I131 if I am here on an an H1-B.

I may well have a job by next week - not holding my breath but a former client is hinting.

As for the G325a forms - was there a conclusion to the "1 page, 4 pages" debate? When I took the form off the USCIS a couple of weeks ago (the one which supposedly expired at the end of June 2009!!!) and filled it in, then printed it off.. it printed 4 copies. This new revision (06/30/11) doesn't seem to print off 4 copies.

Also - what is it with this form - you try and use the Adobe verion to type it in and for one, the dates fields don't fit, and they give you no room to type anything!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.