Help!! Info required please!!

Old Sep 28th 2023, 11:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help!! Info required please!!

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
.... In other words most people get an uplift in salary to cover all these extra expenses
Er, ".... most people ask for an uplift in salary .... ", which is not quite the same thing.

As you yourself noted, if you are the one asking for the transfer, you are unlikely to have a very strong bargaining position.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 28th 2023 at 11:45 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2023, 5:26 am
Just Joined

Swanny73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all your replies, really appreciate it. Yes im 100% aware that without that chance thru my wifes company then we do really have no chance at all. But we have been going over to the US for 14yrs as a couple & have spoken about it for years, so we thought "lets give it a go, nothing to lose & everything to gain".
We totally understand that there are forms galore to be filled in etc, but if others have done it, why not us? We are in no hurry but the sooner we start the ball rolling, the sooner we can be out there, living our dream!
I know & understand that we are at the start of a very long road, but hopefully step by step, we'll get closer. Many thanks to all of you that have replied.
Old Sep 29th 2023, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

AlanD is an unknown quantity at this point

I would find out if your wife's company are even willing to do this. It's an expensive process, especially if its you asking to do it rather than them "wanting" to do it. If they aren't willing to do it, then you're just wasting your time.

Good luck with the process.
Old Sep 29th 2023, 8:49 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swanny73
Thank you for all your replies, really appreciate it. Yes im 100% aware that without that chance thru my wifes company then we do really have no chance at all. But we have been going over to the US for 14yrs as a couple & have spoken about it for years, so we thought "lets give it a go, nothing to lose & everything to gain".
We totally understand that there are forms galore to be filled in etc, but if others have done it, why not us? We are in no hurry but the sooner we start the ball rolling, the sooner we can be out there, living our dream!
I know & understand that we are at the start of a very long road, but hopefully step by step, we'll get closer. Many thanks to all of you that have replied.
Most posters here tend to be very negative, if I had come here when I first decided to move here who knows what would have happened. I decided to move at 21, I could have married my USC girlfriend but was not ready. I worked hard for 10 years, got a post graduate degree, and focused on working for US owned companies and within 10 years I had moved here on an L1a and had a green card a little over a year via EB1c and then proposed to my USC girlfriend/now wife. So yes it’s not “easy” but with focus and hard work there are ways to do it. If your wife’s company won’t move her she can look for others that will… and move and wait a year.. one thing I did was to visit the US frequently to network. It’s a lot easier if you have contacts. One side note on living her is to understand that you will have virtually no job security, many states are employment at will, where they can fire you on the spot… no tax free redundancy like the UK, and if you are on a visa that can get expensive to pay off leases etc and leave…
Old Sep 29th 2023, 9:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
... if you are on a visa that can get expensive to pay off leases etc and leave…
If you're on a visa, or otherwise, and circumstances force you to leave the US, with little or no likelihood of returning* you'd be a mug to worry about the niceties of vehicle leases and personal loans. In practice, credit obligations are not enforceable across the Atlantic, at least in part because the legal costs of even trying to do so would be prohibitive compared to any amount you could recover.

* Even if you left the US with multiple loans and liabilities that turned delinquent after you left, your credit "slate" would be wiped clean after 7 years anyway.
Old Sep 29th 2023, 9:12 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you're on a visa, or otherwise, and circumstances force you to leave the US, with little or no likelihood of returning* you'd be a mug to worry about the niceties of vehicle leases and personal loans. In practice, credit obligations are not enforceable across the Atlantic, at least in part because the legal costs of even trying to do so would be prohibitive compared to any amount you could recover.

* Even if you left the US with multiple loans and liabilities that turned delinquent after you left, your credit "slate" would be wiped clean after 7 years anyway.
I held senior controlled functions with the FCA, so that would cause fit and proper issues. Maybe you don’t work in regulated functions but stuff like that will cause you issues if you do.
Old Sep 30th 2023, 12:14 am
LT1
Forum Regular

LT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Swanny73 see my post here. You and your spouse should both apply for the Diversity Visa next week when registration opens. Slim chance of winning, but slim is better than zero chance!
Old Sep 30th 2023, 1:23 am
tht

Originally Posted by LT1
Swanny73 see my post here. You and your spouse should both apply for the Diversity Visa next week when registration opens. Slim chance of winning, but slim is better than zero chance!
I was eligible based on an EU country and calculated it was a 1:200, and was never selected, vs.some where like NZ that was 1:20, it goes in buckets by region and countries. I assume that the UK is only eligible based on a lack of visa issuance due to CV19, so it may apply to items as well, and so increase the pool and reduce the odds…
Old Oct 15th 2023, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

rowe6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck, you’re doing the right thing in kicking off research. Think a few have pointed this out but the way you’re describing it is similar to a transfer between offices say in the UK, the reality is far more complicated - the company need to want to instigate it.

By deciding it’s something you want to do though, you’re on the right track, research etc then need to be clear with your wife’s employer this is something she would like to do either now or in the future.

I decided I wanted to live and work in the US in 2018, and I had to tailor my career to present those opportunities and eventually landed on a company and get an L1–A visa to transfer to the US arm of the organisation 2021).

welcome and good luck on whatever the journey looks like to the US of A!
Old Oct 15th 2023, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Swanny73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rowe6
Good luck, you’re doing the right thing in kicking off research. Think a few have pointed this out but the way you’re describing it is similar to a transfer between offices say in the UK, the reality is far more complicated - the company need to want to instigate it.

By deciding it’s something you want to do though, you’re on the right track, research etc then need to be clear with your wife’s employer this is something she would like to do either now or in the future.

I decided I wanted to live and work in the US in 2018, and I had to tailor my career to present those opportunities and eventually landed on a company and get an L1–A visa to transfer to the US arm of the organisation 2021).

welcome and good luck on whatever the journey looks like to the US of A!
thank you so much, yep totally dependant on wife's company, but apparently others have done this so things do look positive. The hard bit will be finding work for me i guess?