Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Help and Guidance required for US Immigration

Help and Guidance required for US Immigration

Old May 13th 2015, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

palakmadan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help and Guidance required for US Immigration

We have applied for Family based U.S. Citizenship and Immigration my mother's sister has filed as petitioner due to retirement she has no income so she can't sponsor us. We have Co-Sponsor ready he is my cousin.
Issues we have is:
Our Petitioner is not able to give us her tax return papers as she has joint account with her husband but she is ready to give her citizenship papers.

So, can you please guide us regarding if they don't give us tax return papers will it create any problem in proceedings of our file? As we have got letter from NVC to pay for our Visa and submit the documents.

and if possible i also need some information regarding appointment of Co-sponsor
Looking forward for you valuable guidance.
Thanking You in Advance
Old May 14th 2015, 6:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help and Guidance required for US Immigration

You are not applying for US Citizenship, you will be applying for an immigrant visa.

Your mother's sister is still the financial sponsor, so she still must complete an I-864. Since she has zero income, it's ok that she doesn't have tax returns, she just needs to include a statement explaining why they are missing.

The joint sponsor completes an I-864 and provides all the relevent backup documents.

Rene
Old May 14th 2015, 6:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, it sounds like your mother's sister DOES have tax returns, if her husband is filing jointly. So she can still submit the tax returns, explaining that the income is his, and that hers is zero.

Rene
Old May 14th 2015, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm probably reading this post completely incorrectly but it appears that the poster's aunt is sponsoring him, together with a cousin acting as joint sponsor?

I did not think that aunts and uncles could sponsor extended family?
Old May 14th 2015, 7:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

F4 category, he or she a child under 21.
Old May 14th 2015, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
F4 category, he or she a child under 21.
Thanks for this, but am still confused..... the poster is not the US citizens's child; its his/her's mother's sister that is the petitioner ie the aunt.

I recollect that in other posts where people have said "I've got aunts/uncles in the US" we have said your aunt/uncle can't sponsor you.
Old May 14th 2015, 7:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Aunt sponsoring sister, his mother, and he is along for the ride.
Old May 14th 2015, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
Aunt sponsoring sister, his mother, and he is along for the ride.
Oh got it.......... thought it was the poster's family that was being sponsored.... stupid me.
Old May 14th 2015, 10:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by palakmadan
... my mother's sister has filed as petitioner due to retirement she has no income so she can't sponsor us.
With respect, your mother's sister is the USC relative... she must be the sponsor. There's no option for her not to be the sponsor. She is the sponsor whether or not she meets the financial qualifications.

We have Co-Sponsor ready he is my cousin.
There is no such thing as a "co-sponsor". The cousin in a "joint sponsor". The two terms are not interchangeable.

Our Petitioner is not able to give us her tax return papers as she has joint account with her husband but she is ready to give her citizenship papers.
If her husband files a joint tax return, she can submit those. She must complete form I-864 regardless. The cousin must also complete form I-864.

Ian
Old May 15th 2015, 11:04 am
Just Joined

palakmadan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much everyone for you're valuable opinion.
Old May 19th 2015, 11:17 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The cousin must also complete form I-864.

Ian
I-864A.
Old May 19th 2015, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I-864A.
The joint sponsor files an I-864. I have no idea why you think otherwise.

Ian