British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Help with citizenship appointments (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/help-citizenship-appointments-929769/)

Cazmar1 Dec 11th 2019 3:25 pm

Help with citizenship appointments

Good Morning,
We have our biometrics appointment tomorrow in Charlotte NC, i noticed someone said on here the they were taken for their interview at the same time, I believe it was another office tho,
has anyone had experience in the Charlotte NC office, does that happen? and also are the questions chosen randomly that day or are they standard for the month or so, - would really like insight to some of the likely questions, my husband and I are over 60 and I feel a little panicked about learning all 100 questions and retaining the answers correctly, I tend to freeze in an exam environment.
so it it likely do you think that we will have biometrics and interview at the same time..from application to biometrics has only been a few weeks.
TIA
Carol

Noorah101 Dec 11th 2019 5:31 pm

Re: Help with citizenship appointments

You probably won't have biometrics and interview at the same time, unless your notice says N-400 interview on it.

The questions are randomly computer generated on the day, so you'll have to study all 100. You only have to memorize one answer, though (a lot of the questions have multiple correct answers). You only need to get 6 out of 10 correct, so if you get the first 6 right, they stop asking.

Rene

civilservant Dec 12th 2019 11:24 am

I haven't ever heard of that happening - and I doubt it's even possible. They take your biometrics to run you against the FBI database, and they won't interview someone until they are cleared by all the background checks.

As for the exam, you have to learn all 100. In all honestly though, if you lean 90% your fine since you can get 4 wrong and still pass as long as you get 6 right.

Rete Dec 12th 2019 1:32 pm

I'm with civilservant here. Biometrics 99.99% of the time is done at a separate office; not at a USCIS field office where the testing is done. So the option of having biometrics and the interview on the same date and at the same place is almost a negative percentage.

There are some special dispensations for the 'elderly', i.e. language barrier, but fear of testing is not one of them. Read the 100 questions and answers which USCIS provides when you order the Guide to Naturalization. There are tutorials on Youtube

You and your spouse will be fine.

MidAtlantic Dec 12th 2019 2:48 pm

You will know the answer to several questions anyway. eg What ocean is to the West; What ocean is to the East; What is the capital; So the number of answers you need to learn is much less than 100.

Note also that if you are over 65 and been an lpr for 20 years or more there are only 20 questions

Rete Dec 12th 2019 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 12777734)
You will know the answer to several questions anyway. eg What ocean is to the West; What ocean is to the East; What is the capital; So the number of answers you need to learn is much less than 100.

Note also that if you are over 65 and been an lpr for 20 years or more there are only 20 questions

That means that you only need to study a particular 20 questions rather than 100 questions. You will still need to answer 6 correct out of 10 asked.