help/advise please

Old May 7th 2014, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

cliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond repute
Default help/advise please

Myself and my wife when we are 55 in 3 years would like to become permanent residents in the US. We do not want to work, we have funds to last us without working, we have no friends or relatives there, we simply want to retire and buy a property.

I did see the diversity visa as an option but have recently been told by the US Embassy in London that UK residents are rarely allowed to apply on a DV visa.

I don't know of any way that we can move to the USA?

Any help/advise very welcome
Old May 7th 2014, 7:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help/advise please

Originally Posted by cliff b
Myself and my wife when we are 55 in 3 years would like to become permanent residents in the US. We do not want to work, we have funds to last us without working, we have no friends or relatives there, we simply want to retire and buy a property.
If you plan to live full-time in the USA, you will need an appropriate visa to do so. If you don't plan on working, then a work visa is out. If you don't have immediate relatives in the USA, then a family visa is out. That only leaves in investment visa, so you'll need to reseach that. Basically you'd invest about $500K in a business, which "buys" you a green card. You may or may not see any profit from the business, so you'd have to consider that money lost and be OK with that.

I did see the diversity visa as an option but have recently been told by the US Embassy in London that UK residents are rarely allowed to apply on a DV visa.
Where were you and your wife born?

I don't know of any way that we can move to the USA?
It's very difficult to move full-time to the USA. You might have to just be happy with visiting 5 months a year on a B-2 visa (applied for AFTER you retire, as it's a difficult visa to get if under retirement age).

Rene
Old May 7th 2014, 7:10 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

UK natives are usually not included in the DV program. However, the rules on "cross-chargeability" may come in handy if one of you was born outside the UK or was born in Northern Ireland.
Old May 7th 2014, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

cliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond repute

We are both British Noorah, thank you for the reply.
You have just told me pretty much what I have found out myself, was hoping maybe there was something I had missed.
B-2 not a consideration, I want to move from the UK.
Old May 7th 2014, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Looks like I am on a no win mission here if Mr Folinsky as an attorney can offer no option. Thank you BTW.
Old May 7th 2014, 7:19 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

You have just told me pretty much what I have found out myself, was hoping maybe there was something I had missed.
Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a viable route for your plans.
Old May 7th 2014, 7:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

We are both British
If you were both born in the UK, then neither of you qualifies for the diversity lottery.

Looks like you will have to find somewhere else to retire to. The USA has no "retirement" visa such as you are seeking.

Rene
Old May 7th 2014, 7:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked into healthcare? Even if you could live in the US...healthcare would be your biggest problem IMO.
Old May 7th 2014, 7:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
.......healthcare would be your biggest problem IMO.
On the contrary, healthcare is very easy, ...... so long as you can afford it!
Old May 7th 2014, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby and I looked into moving to the US when we were in early 50's - unfortunately as you have found it it cannot be done without the relevant visa.

However we struck lucky and got transferred with my job - and I'm glad we came over with jobs and not just on our (what we thought) would have been plenty of savings/investments to live on.

Contrary to what some people believe the US is not cheaper than the UK - property taxes are far higher in most States (presume that since you want to move you would end up somewhere desirable), health insurance is expensive and utilities are far higher than in the UK. In retirement one does not do much less (apart from commuting) than when one is working.

Since the average couple lives into their 80's are you sure you would have enough money to last 30 years?
Old May 7th 2014, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

The problems that I may or not have if/when I get there are irrelevant at the moment.

I need a way of getting there and that does not appear to exist at the moment.

Hope i am wrong but it looks like i am not.
Old May 7th 2014, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

The problems that I may or not have if/when I get there are irrelevant at the moment.

What's so special about the USA and what can it offer you in retirement that any other place cannot?
Old May 7th 2014, 8:36 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like I am on a no win mission here if Mr Folinsky as an attorney can offer no option. Thank you BTW.
Hi:

My comment was limited to the DV drawings. Period. Nada mas.

I have no idea if there is any particular other way to do things for you.
Old May 7th 2014, 9:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hardly irrelevant...many that can live in the US...cannot afford to as they cannot afford the sky high healthcare costs.
Old May 7th 2014, 10:48 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect 9 out of 10 people in the US don't pay for healthcare and 1 out of 10 pay 10 times what the care should cost...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.