Wikiposts

Help advice needed!

Old Dec 19th 2008, 10:01 am
Just Joined

nomi22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help advice needed!

Hi, I am currently training to be a primary school teacher and qualify in May 09. I want to move to Florida with my boyfriend and 6 year old son. My parents live there and have for the past 4 years, so would like to join them.
Would we be better to go on a B2 visa and then hopefully transfer to a H1B visa or try and find a sponsor from the Uk?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Naomi
Old Dec 19th 2008, 10:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help advice needed!

Originally Posted by nomi22
Hi, I am currently training to be a primary school teacher and qualify in May 09. I want to move to Florida with my boyfriend and 6 year old son. My parents live there and have for the past 4 years, so would like to join them.
Would we be better to go on a B2 visa and then hopefully transfer to a H1B visa or try and find a sponsor from the Uk?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Naomi
What basis is your boyfriend looking to use to move?.

Are your Parents US Citizens.

Is the boyfriend your child's father?

I have seen someone move on a H1B as a teacher to Florida, but it is very unusual. Difficult to see a school district interested in the current climate. but no harm trying.

I doubt you could get a B2, and a refusal would complicate VWP visits.

Good luck.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 10:30 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I am currently training to be a primary school teacher and qualify in May 09.
Qualify where?

I want to move to Florida with my boyfriend and 6 year old son.
Are any of them US citizens? Is your boyfriend the boy's father? If not, you'll need written permission from the father to remove the child from UK jurisdiction.

My parents live there and have for the past 4 years, so would like to join them.
Are your parents US citizens?

Would we be better to go on a B2 visa...
*IF* the B2 is approved (and that's a huge *IF*) you could *visit* for up to 6 months. You can *not* live in the US on a B2 visa.

... and then hopefully transfer to a H1B visa or try and find a sponsor from the Uk?
What skills do you have other than as a primary teacher, which is not in short supply in the US? Take a look here and made a decision on the type of visa for which you qualify. If you don't qualify, it isn't going to happen. End of story. Full stop. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA.

Ian
Old Dec 19th 2008, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Well firstly, yes my boyfriend is my son's father. My parents are not US citizens.
I thought it was easy to get a B2 visa is that not the case then?
My parents have a bussiness there, was wondering if they could sponsor my boyfriend!?

thanks for the replies.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 10:52 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Well firstly, yes my boyfriend is my son's father. My parents are not US citizens.
My parents have a bussiness there, was wondering if they could sponsor my boyfriend!?

thanks for the replies.
What country are you from?

What's the business, and what are your boyfriend's qualifications?
Old Dec 19th 2008, 10:52 am
Account Closed

thanks for the replies.
What Visa are they on.

What skills/qualifications does he have.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
What Visa are they on.

What skills/qualifications does he have.
I'm from UK.
My boyfriend has no qualifications.
Parents have a cafe, They're on Business visa not sure what it's called.
Does the area have an impact on how successful the visa will be? looking at Tampa/Clearwater area.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 11:19 am
Account Closed

I'm from UK.
My boyfriend has no qualifications.
Parents have a cafe, They're on Business visa not sure what it's called.
Does the area have an impact on how successful the visa will be? looking at Tampa/Clearwater area.
Probably an E2, I was thinking E2 Manager but looks like that might be out.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 12:38 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

It's not that easy to get a B-2 Visitor's Visa when you have the VWP available (the 90 day visa free trip you already get as a UK citizen).

Notice that the B-2 is a Visitor's Visa. For a visit. Not for living/moving.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 1:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No, the area has no impact. It all has to do with your qualifications and what visa category you can fit into in the link provided in Post 3 of this thread.

Rene
Old Dec 19th 2008, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No, the area has no impact. It all has to do with your qualifications and what visa category you can fit into in the link provided in Post 3 of this thread.

Rene
Are there any other visa's available to me then?
I know the E2 is a visitors visa, can you change it once there?
Being looking for jobs to sponsor but it is hard if not in that country!
Are they any lawyers that can help with the process?
Old Dec 20th 2008, 1:39 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any other visa's available to me then?
There are lots of visas... but you must still meet the eligibility requirements. I provided the link... if there's nothing there that suits you, or if you don't have the money required to invest... well, what more is there to add?

I know the E2 is a visitors visa, can you change it once there?
Change the visa? Not while you're in the US. Realize, though, that you must *still* qualify for some other type of status, so if you don't qualify, it still isn't going to happen.

Being looking for jobs to sponsor but it is hard if not in that country!
You could have 20 job offers... it doesn't make a difference if you don't qualify for a visa. Further, unless you are top notch in your industry with skills that cannot be found in the US, an employer isn't likely to want to sponsor you - something that can be quite expensive for them.

Are they any lawyers that can help with the process?
With the process? Sure there are... but you must still qualify for a visa... and a lawyer won't be able to help you get a visa if you don't qualify for one.

Please understand that none of us are deliberately trying to put the kaibosh on your plans... but US immigration laws are specifically designed to keep non-US citizens out of the US unless they meet very narrowly defined exceptions.

Ian
Old Dec 20th 2008, 2:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
There are lots of visas... but you must still meet the eligibility requirements. I provided the link... if there's nothing there that suits you, or if you don't have the money required to invest... well, what more is there to add?

Change the visa? Not while you're in the US. Realize, though, that you must *still* qualify for some other type of status, so if you don't qualify, it still isn't going to happen.

You could have 20 job offers... it doesn't make a difference if you don't qualify for a visa. Further, unless you are top notch in your industry with skills that cannot be found in the US, an employer isn't likely to want to sponsor you - something that can be quite expensive for them.

With the process? Sure there are... but you must still qualify for a visa... and a lawyer won't be able to help you get a visa if you don't qualify for one.

Please understand that none of us are deliberately trying to put the kaibosh on your plans... but US immigration laws are specifically designed to keep non-US citizens out of the US unless they meet very narrowly defined exceptions.

Ian
yeah I understand that but I do qualify for the H1B visa! I will have a four year degree in teaching and I am looking for a job in teaching.

What I meant was, can I not go on an E2 visa and hopefully during my stay find an employer willing to sponsor me and then change status? Or can you not change from an E2 to another visa?
Old Dec 20th 2008, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean B2?
Old Dec 20th 2008, 2:48 am
Account Closed

I will have a four year degree in teaching and I am looking for a job in teaching.
Excellent... be aware that you will be required to take your state's teacher certification examinations, and you'll most likely need to complete a Master's degree before any position becomes permanent. Still, it sounds like you're on your way!

What I meant was, can I not go on an E2 visa and hopefully during my stay find an employer willing to sponsor me and then change status?
An E-2 visa is an "investment" visa... I think you mean B-2. However, even if you were to arrive on a B-2 visa, getting an employer to sponsor you is a really long shot. H-1B visas are terribly oversubscribed and your sponsor wouldn't be able to apply until April 1, 2009 for work beginning in October, 2009. This year, all 65,000 visas were gone by noon on April 1. Still... it's worth a shot, I suppose. College and university positions don't have a cap on the number of visas available... but I'm pretty sure that primary and secondary schools don't even qualify for H-1B sponsorship and if they do, they are subject to that 65,000 visa cap.

Ian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.