Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

HELP... 21 Year old looking for a GC

HELP... 21 Year old looking for a GC

Old Nov 27th 2012, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

jonnyb5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP... 21 Year old looking for a GC

I am 21 years old, I recently went to NYC for 90 days on the VWP. I fell in love with the country. I haven’t got a degree but I have 3 strong years of work experience in a prop trading firm and stock brokers. I am looking at any which way to break into NYC and live their permanently. Unfortunately I can’t be sponsored because according to the US I am not seen as a professional. I also don’t want to go on a student VISA because I don’t want to study. I have no family, and I don’t really want to get married to my American girlfriend because I am so young.
Please any advice, or job advice to get into the states I would be so thankful. Inbox me if you know any opportunities as well.
I have posted on here before and everyone was VERY HELPFUL, please help again
Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP... 21 Year old looking for a GC

Originally Posted by jonnyb5
I am 21 years old, I recently went to NYC for 90 days on the VWP. I fell in love with the country. I haven’t got a degree but I have 3 strong years of work experience in a prop trading firm and stock brokers. I am looking at any which way to break into NYC and live their permanently. Unfortunately I can’t be sponsored because according to the US I am not seen as a professional. I also don’t want to go on a student VISA because I don’t want to study. I have no family, and I don’t really want to get married to my American girlfriend because I am so young.
Please any advice, or job advice to get into the states I would be so thankful. Inbox me if you know any opportunities as well.
I have posted on here before and everyone was VERY HELPFUL, please help again
Start here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Or here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski_Simplified

See if you fall into any of the available visa categories. You've already ruled out a bunch, so I'm not sure what's left for you to choose from:

1. Student visa would be my first suggestion...but you don't want to study.
2. You don't qualify for an H1B because you don't have a degree or enough years of experience.
3. You don't have any immediate family in the USA, so that route is out.
4. You're not ready to marry your USC girlfriend, so that route is out.
5. At age 21, unless you've done very well for yourself financially, you probably don't have enough money for an investment visa.

What else is there? Perhaps if you have some kind of knowledge of skiing (or some similar seasonal type thing), you could get a seasonal work visa, but it's just temporary for that season...it's not a way to live permanently in the USA.

I don't see any way for you to break into NYC and live there permanently at this time. You could make it a long-term goal, either by going back to school, working more years (you need about 12 years of experience if you have no degree), or getting to the point in your relationship with your USC girlfriend where you're ready to marry.

Rene
Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I just realized your thread title says "looking for GC". Be aware that not all paths into the USA result in a GC. Even if you decide to further your studies, and come to the USA on an F-1 student visa, that in itself does not lead to a GC. You'd have to find an employer to sponsor you when you've finished getting your degree, and that employer would have to agree to sponsor your GC application.

In your scenario, right now, the only sure path to a GC would be via marriage to your USC girlfriend. But keep in mind it's illegal to marry for the sole purpose of obtaining an immigration benefit.

Rene
Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

TangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really nice

Without trying to echo what Noorah101 has posted, you have pretty much ruled out all possibilities of permanently living in the US. The Diversity program may be a possibility depending on where you were born?

Many people wish to live permanently in the US, though many find they are ruled out as a result of the immigration system. If you wish to make your move a legal reality, then I'd suggest looking into studying for a degree.

If you've got the funds and previous academic background and/or experience, then look into doing an undergraduate degree in the US. It'll give you a potential route to living in the states, as well as increasing your potential employability, and even more, if you study a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) subject, there is a possibility that the immigration system may change sometime in the future to offer green cards to such students.

If you're not prepared to see such a move as a long term option that you'll have to work at, then I'm afraid you'll likely only be visiting the US as a visitor unless you decide on marrying your USC girlfriend.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I haven’t got a degree but I have 3 strong years of work experience in a prop trading firm and stock brokers.
Respectfully, you have neither sufficient education nor sufficient experience to get an employment-based visa.

I also don’t want to go on a student VISA because I don’t want to study.
Shame really, because without an education you don't really have much to offer the US.

I don’t really want to get married to my American girlfriend because I am so young.
Good - kudos for knowing that much! However then, you don't really have any way of getting a visa to live/work in the US. As for a GC... many visas do not lead down that path!

Ian
Old Nov 27th 2012, 6:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Quick answer: No.

You need to reconsider your options, which realistically consist of studying, marrying a local or get another 9 years experience.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your responses, I appreciate the advice.

I can see marrying her is an option but maybe 5 years down the line. However it looks like my only option is a degree, I am anti getting one, but I suppose to be seen as a professional in the US, that's what is required.

I am going to the US in Mid-January on the VWP. for 90 days. I want to obviously enroll in something finance related, what good Uni's in NYC are there, and what are my options in relation to Student finance.

Thanks again,
Old Nov 28th 2012, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your responses, I appreciate the advice.

I can see marrying her is an option but maybe 5 years down the line. However it looks like my only option is a degree, I am anti getting one, but I suppose to be seen as a professional in the US, that's what is required.

I am going to the US in Mid-January on the VWP. for 90 days. I want to obviously enroll in something finance related, what good Uni's in NYC are there, and what are my options in relation to Student finance.

Thanks again,
Suggest only going for 85 days or so incase of delays...don't want to overstay.
As for student financial aid, well you won't qualify for any government aid and for an F1 student visa you have to prove you have the money up front.....time to get saving, Uni in the US is extremely expensive.
IMO your best bet is to stay in the UK and get your degree whilst saving up to come over and visit on the VWP
Old Nov 28th 2012, 12:01 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again,
To get an F1 visa you have to show you have sufficent funds to cover the entire cost of the tution each year, since student finance is not really an option for foreign students.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Rough cost estimate then, I would imagine would be around 50000 dollars per year? For a course in NYC, including the course, all expenses etc at lets say, Baruch college. (CUNY)?
Old Nov 28th 2012, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

TangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really nice

Rough cost estimate then, I would imagine would be around 50000 dollars per year? For a course in NYC, including the course, all expenses etc at lets say, Baruch college. (CUNY)?
To study at CUNY for an undergraduate degree, I'd estimate you'd need around $55k-$65k a year, so let's average that at $60k. Undergraduate degrees are 4 years in the US, so you'd need to have $240k.

There is little to no funding for international students, even more-so at a state university. You are also very limited on when and who you can work for. I'm not sure on the exact limitations for undergraduate students, but I'd imagine you can't work for the first 6 to 12 months, then you can only work on campus after that.

Last edited by TangoBlue; Nov 28th 2012 at 12:20 pm.