Help with 2000 Taxes

Old Feb 5th 2001, 10:09 am
Deby Mullen
Posts: n/a

Hi all...

Gary moved here in August from the UK with a K-1 visa and we were married in October.
Everything has gone so smoothly, thank goodness. Our current situation is this, how do we
fill our our taxes-filed jointly, and at the same time incorporate Gary's resident status?

How have others gone about handling this? Do we have to file "married, separately" for
this year?

Any help that can be given will be greatly appreciated.

Deby and Gary
Old Feb 5th 2001, 11:20 am
Posts: n/a

Congratulations on your marriage.

I literally, just a short time ago, posted a website about how we did our taxes this year,
with Reinhard entering the US in October and us marrying in November.

Reinhard is self-employed, so it probably goes into a lot more detail than you need about
that, but the Form 2555 is explain on my site:

I also got a LOT of help here, and from the website at:

I would go to that site first.

You can also search for old posts on this newsgroup with the keyword "Taxes".

Good luck!

(p.s. To answer your specific questions, you can file married and jointly, and you might
be able to do so without paying taxes on your husband's income before he moved to
the US - see Form 2555)


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.