Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Heavy equipment mechanic Tennessee

Heavy equipment mechanic Tennessee

Old Apr 24th 2022, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Jimmec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heavy equipment mechanic Tennessee

Hi all I've got a bit of a issue,a few months back I was offered a job in Alberta Canada,and now I've been approached with a job in Tennessee and I always thought it was pretty much impossible to move to America as a blue collar worker from another country,I'm based in Scotland,so I would appreciate any input.👍
Old Apr 24th 2022, 2:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heavy equipment mechanic Tennessee

First you need a visa, and you are correct in thinking that the US does not have a visa program for trades. There may be a way to make it happen, but that is rather improbable from the prospective employers perspective due to the high cost and legal fees, because you have to prove that you couldn't find anyone (US citizen or PR) to do the job (which in your case is likely an unsurmountable problem), and the extremely long wait time before a visa is issued.

You should ask your prospective employer which visa they intend to obtain for you, ... and if they have any experience/ history of obtaining visas for workers in your field? If they say you need to arrange that yourself, then in almost all cases, that is the end of the discussion. Exceptions including if you have a spouse who is a US citizen, or have a spare $900k laying around to pay for a green card.

I fear you may the latest in long list of people who have come to BE for advice because they have been "offered a job in the US" and need to find out how to get a work visa, but for which no visa is available.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 24th 2022 at 2:05 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2022, 2:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds to me as though the employer has no idea about the visa side of things, it's not unusual for US employers to think they can offer just you a job but not realise that they'd have to sponsor you for a visa which costs them a lot of money and takes a lot of time. So I'd just go back to them and ask them which visa they'll be moving you over on, that will soon tell you if they have any idea or not!

Congrats on the job offer for Alberta, is that going through the LMIA process now?
Old Apr 24th 2022, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Yep the job in Alberta is going through the process just waiting to hear what the outcome is,the job in Tennessee kinda put the blockers on because they company are very keen and it's not the first company I've been approached by so it's all very strange but I will ride it out and see what happens,and I will report back
Old Apr 24th 2022, 3:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimmec
Yep the job in Alberta is going through the process just waiting to hear what the outcome is,the job in Tennessee kinda put the blockers on because they company are very keen and it's not the first company I've been approached by so it's all very strange but I will ride it out and see what happens,and I will report back
Yes, do let us know what they say when you ask about the visa, it would be interesting to see what they say.

And good luck with the Canada job, hope the LMIA's granted soon.
Old Apr 24th 2022, 4:01 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all I've got a bit of a issue,a few months back I was offered a job in Alberta Canada,and now I've been approached with a job in Tennessee and I always thought it was pretty much impossible to move to America as a blue collar worker from another country,I'm based in Scotland,so I would appreciate any input.👍
I’m a former immigration attorney who retired after 40 years. I can say that from time to time I was successful in obtaining residence (or long term presence) for persons in similar situations. (In fact, I recall a long ago Scottish client who emigrated to Canada then to the US as heavy truck mechanic shop foreman.)

It is true that it probably not easy or quick, but e isdepending upon individual facts, it may be possible. The general import of employment based immigration law is “no.” But then there is a labyrinth of exceptions that it may be possible to thread.

There is a question tree that can be explored if you or the potential US employer may want to explore with a competent and experienced immigration lawyer.
Old Apr 24th 2022, 4:06 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Sounds to me as though the employer has no idea about the visa side of things, it's not unusual for US employers to think they can offer just you a job but not realise that they'd have to sponsor you for a visa which costs them a lot of money and takes a lot of time. So I'd just go back to them and ask them which visa they'll be moving you over on, that will soon tell you if they have any idea or not!now?
Hmm, not that you are wrong. But I’ve seen many corporate employers who are very well aware of the issues and keep some immigration lawyers in clover. I am struck by the fact that OP has been head hunted.
Old Apr 24th 2022, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Once again thanks for all the input,I will keep you posted, I'm obviously not going anywhere until I get the facts and it's not just head on over with your toolbox,but it does strike me as strange the both america and Canada have labor shortages in these field's but maybe that's all fibs as well.
Old Apr 24th 2022, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Are these companies who are approaching you out of the blue ie YOU have not contacted them first?
There are scammers out there who contact people, and after giving them a blurb about how their jobs are sought after, ask for a fee to 'process' the application......
Old Apr 24th 2022, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

The one in Tennessee was out of the blue and so was the one in Alberta but in short order today there were another two emails from Canada about other jobs so I will probably just stick to Canada as it seems to be a little bit simpler 👍
Old Apr 24th 2022, 5:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

but it does strike me as strange the both america and Canada have labor shortages in these field's but maybe that's all fibs as well.
You can easily check it yourself for Canada on the official government job website. https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketreport/jobs/7480/22437 No idea if an equivalent exists for the US though.

Just bear in mind it's a regulated occupation in Canada, so you'll have some extra hoops to jump through to be able to work there.

And as SDG has said above, scams are unfortunately common so whatever you do, don't pay a penny to an employer!

Good luck.
Old Apr 24th 2022, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the help folks 😊😊
Old Apr 25th 2022, 2:30 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Are these companies who are approaching you out of the blue ie YOU have not contacted them first?
There are scammers out there who contact people, and after giving them a blurb about how their jobs are sought after, ask for a fee to 'process' the application......
That was my first thought, scam.
Be very careful.
Old Apr 25th 2022, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea
That was my first thought, scam.
Be very careful.
Good point, actually