Wikiposts

Health care and maternity in US

Old Nov 10th 2001, 1:14 pm
Gail

Hi I haven't been on here for ages. But I have a question and wondered if anyone on
here would be able to help me. I don't have any medical insurance at the moment, and
wondered if anyone knew what would happen if I became pregnant without cover. A
friend has said that it's the only time you will be covered for health care without
insurance when you are expecting a baby. I can't see that if this applies to US
citizens, that it would apply to me as I am the 'alien' spouse, and my husband had to
be guarantor for me with the K1 visa. I'm not at all sure about this. Just wondered
if anyone on here knew anything. Any ideas? If this isn't true, would we receive one
of those astronomical bills requesting payment by us. If it is true and I would be
able to receive the medical care, does anyone know how to arrange it and what the
care would cover. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks Gail

Old Nov 10th 2001, 4:41 pm
Steve

I think this is one area that you would be able to get coverage. I know in Calif. the
state offers very low cost (or maybe NO cost) care for moms and babies. I think as
long as you are NOT illegal, you would find coverage at low or no cost.

My (foreign) wife and i just had a baby July, 2001. The medical bills (before
insurance) have come to about $25,000. (Our baby had to spend 5 days in NeoNatal ICU
for jaundice). Thank God we had insurance!

States have fianlly realized it cost less for them to provide free pre-natal care
than to care for a baby and mom that got NO pre-(or post) natal care.

Good luck to you.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 10th 2001, 5:05 pm
Shelley

There are some programs, both state and federal that are for moms and babies, but
most are means-tested. The baby would qualify as a citizen, but not always the mom.
Check with your local Social Services office or County Health Department. Also, if
you are going to be covered by your husband's health insurance, be sure to check when
pregnancy is covered. Nearly all will not cover a pregnancy if you are pregnant at
the time you receive the policy, and some do not cover pregnancies during the first 3
months or even during the first year of coverage. Take Care. Shelley

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 11th 2001, 1:49 am
Toni B

>

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

How about just waiting to get pregnant until you are covered by insurance?