British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   HEADS UP -- bye-bye Temp 551 stamp (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/heads-up-bye-bye-temp-551-stamp-260247/)

Folinskyinla Oct 14th 2004 10:54 pm

HEADS UP -- bye-bye Temp 551 stamp

Hi:

I just returned from a local district liaison workgroup. The District has just learned and told us today that as of October 26, 2004, the CIS will no longer issue temporary I-551 stamps. This is a national directive due to the ease with which the stamps can be forged.

SecretGarden Oct 14th 2004 10:58 pm

Re: HEADS UP -- bye-bye Temp 551 stamp

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I just returned from a local district liaison workgroup. The District has just learned and told us today that as of October 26, 2004, the CIS will no longer issue temporary I-551 stamps. This is a national directive due to the ease with which the stamps can be forged.

I am clearly showing my ignorance on this issue, but exactly when and why would one get a temporary I-551 stamp? We are new to this stage. Thanks in advance. :)

~SecretGarden

sphyrapicus Oct 14th 2004 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
I am clearly showing my ignorance on this issue, but exactly when and why would one get a temporary I-551 stamp? We are new to this stage. Thanks in advance. :)

~SecretGarden

When one is approved for LPR status following a successful AOS interview, when one has an expired conditional green card and is awaiting the adjudication of the I-751 to remove conditions, when one has submitted an I-89 to get one's 10-yr card and is awaiting the physical card in the mail, when one enters as CR1/IR1 by doing DCF, etc.

SecretGarden Oct 14th 2004 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
When one is approved for LPR status following a successful AOS interview, when one has an expired conditional green card and is awaiting the adjudication of the I-751 to remove conditions, when one has submitted an I-89 to get one's 10-yr card and is awaiting the physical card in the mail, when one enters as CR1/IR1 by doing DCF, etc.

As always, thank you..... :)

~SG

Jan Alaska Oct 14th 2004 11:13 pm

Hi:

Not that this should make a difference to me until next summer but where do we get our I-551 stamps now then ? are they going to make us apply to the service centres for them or what ?

Jan :)

Noorah101 Oct 14th 2004 11:15 pm

So, from now on, you won't get a stamp? You'll just have to wait for the card in the mail? What do you use for proof that you've been approved after your interview, for example if you want to leave the country to travel?

Or am I on the wrong track??

Rene

Folinskyinla Oct 14th 2004 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101
So, from now on, you won't get a stamp? You'll just have to wait for the card in the mail? What do you use for proof that you've been approved after your interview, for example if you want to leave the country to travel?

Or am I on the wrong track??

Rene

Hi Rene:

You've got it exactly.

However, it seems you are placing YOUR ability to travel or work ahead of national security. ;)

meauxna Oct 14th 2004 11:34 pm

Hi Rene:

You've got it exactly.

However, it seems you are placing YOUR ability to travel or work ahead of national security. ;)

Pffft!
Stinky -winky, this.

OK, since it's all about ME, what about I-751 extension stamps?
Are we back to an expired pp stamp + expired Green Card + NOA for pending I-751?

What *will* they put in the pp at IV entry? I know the visa goes in the pp now; will that just be endorsed in some way?

I'll bet sometimes you wish you never posted, lol!
Thanks, MrF

Hmmm.. big changes for those who want to enter, activate their IV and turn around to 'finish up' business out of the country. NO accomodation being made for those folks?
Gee, then the IV would be a lot like the other 'in the jailhouse now' visas ;)

Jan Alaska Oct 14th 2004 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna
Pffft!
Stinky -winky, this.

OK, since it's all about ME, what about I-751 extension stamps?
Are we back to an expired pp stamp + expired Green Card + NOA for pending I-751?

What *will* they put in the pp at IV entry? I know the visa goes in the pp now; will that just be endorsed in some way?

I'll bet sometimes you wish you never posted, lol!
Thanks, MrF

Hmmm.. big changes for those who want to enter, activate their IV and turn around to 'finish up' business out of the country. NO accomodation being made for those folks?
Gee, then the IV would be a lot like the other 'in the jailhouse now' visas ;)

Thats what i wanted to know ...... we've filed I-751 got our extension letters and my sons got I-551 stamps (thanks to Bart Stupaks aides) but what happens when by Aug 2005 our I-751 hasnt been adjudicated ? do we have to apply by mail for I-551 (or extension) ? or do we give up work until I-751 is approved ???

Noorah101 Oct 14th 2004 11:39 pm

Hi Rene:

You've got it exactly.

How selfish of me. lol ;)

L D Jones Oct 14th 2004 11:48 pm

jan_michigan wrote:

>>Hi:
    >>I just returned from a local district liaison workgroup. The District
    >>has just learned and told us today that as of October 26, 2004, the
    >>CIS will no longer issue temporary I-551 stamps. This is a national
    >>directive due to the ease with which the stamps can be forged.
    >
    >
    > Not that this should make a difference to me until next summer but where
    > do we get our I-551 stamps now then ? are they going to make us apply to
    > the service centres for them or what ?

I believe he said they would no longer be issued at all. My wife will
probably need one next year. It will be interesting to find out what, if
anything, will replace it

meauxna Oct 14th 2004 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
Thats what i wanted to know ...... we've filed I-751 got our extension letters and my sons got I-551 stamps (thanks to Bart Stupaks aides) but what happens when by Aug 2005 our I-751 hasnt been adjudicated ? do we have to apply by mail for I-551 (or extension) ? or do we give up work until I-751 is approved ???

You status doesn't expire, just all your proof of it (except for that NOA). Can you imagine trying to board a flight with just that? eek.

Steve2003 Oct 15th 2004 12:02 am

It may take months now (which I think is unfair) to get the green card for people. They could not even travel during the "gap". Imagine the impact of an EAD expiring also and not having proof you are an LPR/PR and a company firing you! Nothing you could do! Man, they need to think of something to cover these two possibilities. A person can;t even apply for an emergency AP if they need to travel because they are a PR and should not technically need one. If they return to the US they would have no proof of status at the POE (even though they are an approved LPR/PR). errr.

thanks for the info on this!
-Steve

Bob Oct 15th 2004 12:08 am

Doesn't sound very well thought out does it...certainly bringing up a lot more problems than fixing it with a better stamp...

andrea874 Oct 15th 2004 12:11 am

What about stamps that have already been given? Will those still be recognized as valid??