Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Hawkinis N400 Timeline - Short Apparently!!

Hawkinis N400 Timeline - Short Apparently!!

Old Jul 24th 2018, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hawkinis N400 Timeline - Short Apparently!!

Just a FYI because this seems a little crazy to me... but I was eligible to apply for the N-400 90 days before 1st August 2018 (May 3rd), so I had everthing ready and applied on May 3rd. Biometrics appointment scheduled on May 5th for May 25th.

I just received notification that my interview has been scheduled, but I wasn't expecting ANYTHING to happen to *at least* 1st August - but I'm guessing as long as I complete the oath ceremony after 1st August, everything else doesn't matter? My case status has been pretty consistent saying "11-15 months" so, even though I know people have been processed faster, I was NOT expecting to get the interview THIS fast!!

FYI my office is Raleigh NC. We have a fairly large immigrant population due to the Research Triangle, but yes not nearly as vast as some places in CA, so maybe this isn't so crazy to get scheduled for an interview *before* I'm even eligible for citizenship...??
Old Jul 24th 2018, 12:41 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hawkinis N400 Timeline - Short Apparently!!

Sounds like an error to me! You cannot be approved for naturalization until you have met all the criteria, so if you interview before your five years (or 3 years USC spouse) you could not be approved.

Did you already do your biometrics?
Old Jul 24th 2018, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

Biometrics were completed 25th May. I'm *guessing* because the online version hasn't actually provided the interview date yet, that the interview is on or after 1st August which would fit your criteria and be possibly the shortest wait I've ever heard of from being eligible to actually getting their interview...! But yes, as you suggest, I'm hoping it *IS* after 1st August or there is something wrong!
Old Jul 24th 2018, 12:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I can see two scenarios if the interview is prior to August 1: He can have the interview prior to August 1 but it cannot be approved until that date or after. So if passes the test and all the rest of the criteria then he will get a 'pending approval' with a notification of the oath date sent by mail dated after 8/1/18. Or, he goes to the interview and is told he needs to reschedule.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 2:59 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm following timelines at the moment as I've just started the process myself. There's currently someone that filed 6/16 that has their interview 8/22 in Springfield MA.

There's only a week left in July so I wouldn't be too concerned about your interview happening before the 1st if they haven't given you a date yet so you should be fine.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I'm following timelines at the moment as I've just started the process myself. There's currently someone that filed 6/16 that has their interview 8/22 in Springfield MA.

There's only a week left in July so I wouldn't be too concerned about your interview happening before the 1st if they haven't given you a date yet so you should be fine.
That's true. I rechecked the Documents tab online and my interview has indeed been set for 27th August - so looks like everything fine...!

On a side note I've seen it noted that I can apply for my and my son's (who is under 18) passport on the day of the Oath ceremony (if it's available) - and I do NOT need to wait and apply for the N-600 to get my sons passport if I apply for mine at the same time?
Old Jul 24th 2018, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if USCIS gives new hires fresh new cases, because your experience is certainly not unique. In 2013 my AOS took 2 months which is absolutely amazing and in fact only 3 weeks after the I-140 was approved. (The I-140 had premium proceesing but 2 RFEs)
Old Jul 24th 2018, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jxv73
I wonder if USCIS gives new hires fresh new cases, because your experience is certainly not unique. In 2013 my AOS took 2 months which is absolutely amazing and in fact only 3 weeks after the I-140 was approved. (The I-140 had premium proceesing but 2 RFEs)
Was your AOS filed concurrently? I had a similar experience with that - I-140 was EB-1C and accepted start of Jan 2013, approved June, I-485 was subsequently approved and had green cards on 1st August, so yes I didn't have premium processing but not long after I-140 approval came the I-485.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawkini
On a side note I've seen it noted that I can apply for my and my son's (who is under 18) passport on the day of the Oath ceremony (if it's available) - and I do NOT need to wait and apply for the N-600 to get my sons passport if I apply for mine at the same time?
Recommendations are for N600 -OR- passport, not much point doing both, and since a passport is much cheaper. It's what we did, but you need to take the kid's long form birth certificate to show he's your son (ie you're named on it; short form may not contain enough information). We got out passports a few days later from a passport office as we were travelling. They also need your certificate you get at the ceremony.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 4:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawkini
That's true. I rechecked the Documents tab online and my interview has indeed been set for 27th August - so looks like everything fine...!

If what is available? You can walk into any US postal office and apply there or at any US Passport Office. You will need more than just your citizenship certificate, however, for your son. You will need to have his other parent with you, his birth certificate.

Yes, you are correct that you don't need to apply for his certificate through applying for it through a N-600. Many posters advocate getting the certificate on the off chance your son lets his US passport lapse and as paper proof of his US Citizenship. A great many people have never applied for this for their children and then again, many have.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 24th 2018 at 4:46 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Recommendations are for N600 -OR- passport, not much point doing both, and since a passport is much cheaper. It's what we did, but you need to take the kid's long form birth certificate to show he's your son (ie you're named on it; short form may not contain enough information). We got out passports a few days later from a passport office as we were travelling. They also need your certificate you get at the ceremony.
Good to know - thanks!
Old Jul 24th 2018, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
If what is available? You can walk into any US postal office and apply there or at any US Passport Office. You will need more than just your citizenship certificate, however, for your son. You will need to have his other parent with you, his birth certificate and if you are married to his other parent, your marriage certificate.
I meant if they offer passport application services at the ceremony. And I have a US citizen daughter so I already know the bit about other parent being there (or filling out appropriate notarized form etc).
Old Jul 24th 2018, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

5 years ago it took 3 months end to end to get citizenship. This was via the Raleigh/Durham INS office

Sent application early Jan 2013
Fingerprinted 2/4/2013
Interview 3/18/2013
Oath Ceremony 4/5/2013

Last edited by rbackhouse; Jul 24th 2018 at 4:49 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 4:49 pm
Concierge

But others might not know that and it is better to state all that is required for those readers.

Honestly, I would prefer doing as Geoff did and visit the actual US Passport office rather than do it at the ceremony site. After all, you will need to leave your citizenship certificate with them and I would not do that unless I had a copy to retain for my files in case it is lost in the mail when it is sent back to you.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 4:50 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
5 years ago it took 3 months end to end to get citizenship. This was via the Raleigh/Durham INS office

Sent application early Jan 2013
Fingerprinted 2/4/2013
Interview 3/18/2013
Oath Ceremony 4/5/2013
15 years ago it took my husband 3 months from filing to ceremony in New York City.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.