British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Have I got any chance of getting in? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/have-i-got-any-chance-getting-671915/)

hopefulJames Jun 10th 2010 5:55 pm

Have I got any chance of getting in?

Hello all,

After reading pulaski's very helpful immigration made easy thread, I realised forlornly that I qualify for very few of the required fields that would give me a shot at emigrating to the US (or at least working there for a period of time).

However, i could answer a few with a yes, firstly I have just graduated from a good university (although in English literature which I imagine is not a degree which gets US customs particularly excited). Secondly I have an australian citizenship as my mum is from Australia...I didn't know that this would help me out in any way but I saw it on the list and would be grateful for any advice as to how this would help me?

Thanks a lot in advance!

James

Noorah101 Jun 10th 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Have I got any chance of getting in?

Originally Posted by hopefulJames (Post 8624766)
However, i could answer a few with a yes, firstly I have just graduated from a good university (although in English literature which I imagine is not a degree which gets US customs particularly excited).

Perhaps being a recent graduate, you can look into a J-1 visa?

Secondly I have an australian citizenship as my mum is from Australia...I didn't know that this would help me out in any way but I saw it on the list and would be grateful for any advice as to how this would help me?
I believe there is some kind of visa which is available only to Australian citizens...E3, I think? I'm not sure of the particulars, but you can look into that one.

Rene

hopefulJames Jun 10th 2010 6:45 pm

Thank you very much for your reply....

I have just had a quick look at the E3 Visa for Australian citizens and it seems to mainly pertain to Australian proffessionals who have already secured a job with an employer in the USA. The advantage of this visa only seems to be that the process of being sponsored by an employer is cheaper and has a greater availability then that of British citizens. As a new graduate with no job in the USA am I correct in thinking that this would not really help me out?

The J-1 Visa looks interesting, on the Wikipedia description of the Visa it includes internships. Does this mean that if I was to secure an unpaud internship with say a publishing house in New York, I would then be able to do casual bar or retail work to support myself? Also does anyone know the length of time under which you are allowed to stay in the US under the J-1 Visa? And finally....how possible is it to obtain one, would it be worth giving it a shot or should i be searching instead for a loveless marriage!?

Thanks so much for any help

James

Noorah101 Jun 10th 2010 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by hopefulJames (Post 8624849)
The J-1 Visa looks interesting, on the Wikipedia description of the Visa it includes internships. Does this mean that if I was to secure an unpaud internship with say a publishing house in New York, I would then be able to do casual bar or retail work to support myself?

I don't believe so. I believe your J-1 visa will be tied to your employer, and you cannot work for other employers at the same time.

...or should i be searching instead for a loveless marriage!?
I'm sure you're just kidding here, but don't even think about getting into a fraudulent marriage for immigration purposes.

Rene

hopefulJames Jun 10th 2010 7:12 pm

Yeh I was kidding, America is a great country and I would love to live there for a while but not at the expense of a disasterous, illegal and potentially financially ruinous marriage!

So both the J-1 and E3 Visa programs would be dependent upon me securing paid employment before I was to enter the US? What is the difference between these two programs other then one being longer term then the other (the E3 visa?).

Would it be better to try and get a 3 Months unpaid internship in New York which is the amount of times that foreign nationals are allowed to stay and try and secure sponsored paid employment in the US after that time elapses? Maybe under the E3 visa as there seems to be special dispensations for Australians?

Sorry for all the questions, its just all so confusing! thanks for the help...

Duncan Roberts Jun 10th 2010 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by hopefulJames (Post 8624885)
Would it be better to try and get a 3 Months unpaid internship in New York which is the amount of times that foreign nationals are allowed to stay

You still need a visa for that. When you get down to it, it's pretty simple. If you want to immigrate because of immediate family it is very easy, length for some but easy. If you want to immigrate through employment you need to fit into a small group which most people do not. If you fit into that group the visa you need is pretty easy to see. If you have problems finding a visa to fit your needs then chances are there isn't one for you.

Noorah101 Jun 10th 2010 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by hopefulJames (Post 8624885)
So both the J-1 and E3 Visa programs would be dependent upon me securing paid employment before I was to enter the US?

I don't know if a J-1 internship has to be a paid one. Something to look into, though...perhaps you CAN secure a volunteer J-1 internship-type thing...but you also won't be able to work on the side to support yourself, either.

Would it be better to try and get a 3 Months unpaid internship in New York which is the amount of times that foreign nationals are allowed to stay.....
If you get an unpaid internship to use with the VWP, it MUST be a completely volunteer position. Meaning, no one else ever gets paid for that job. For example, working in a soup kitchen, food bank, maybe the library...that sort of thing. You cannot get a company to take you on unpaid, if someone else they hire to do the same thing gets paid. I'd be careful about doing ANY sort of work while on the VWP, even volunteer work.

Sorry, I only know bits and pieces....I'm sure someone will come along who knows more details.

Rene

ian-mstm Jun 10th 2010 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by hopefulJames (Post 8624766)
I have just graduated from a good university (although in English literature which I imagine is not a degree which gets US customs particularly excited).

Well, English literature may not pump immigration's 'nads, but it pumps mine! So, you might want to consider graduate school in the US. It'll be expensive, but it's one of the least painful ways of getting to the US and it'll give you a chance to familiarize yourself with what's what and, more importantly, give you a chance to network and hobnob with folks who might be willing and able to sponsor you for a more long-term visa.

Ian

Englishmum Jun 10th 2010 9:43 pm

You are extremely fortunate having dual nationality - :)

Well, you might be in luck if you can get an E-3 visa and it's probably your best/easiest chance of getting into the US to live and work; it was created especially for Australians and a generous 10,500 visas are issued annually (I don't think that many of them are even taken up!).

This will be annoying for H-4 spouses who can't work in the US....spouses of E-3 visa holders are allowed to work in the States.

You might pick up some tips on this website as there is a forum and it's a jobsite for Aussie professionals looking for jobs in Oz and overseas:

http://www.expatsaustralia.com/index.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-3_visa

http://aussieclouds.appspot.com/ (might find some jobseeking tips too!)

Hope this helps!
PS: I have a number of Aussie friends here in the NY Metro area, indeed my best friend is from Sydney and I've been to a number of AmericanAustralian events in NYC....often wine tastings (of Aussie wines of course!) and cultural events. There are many, many Aussie professionals in NYC and a great deal of networking goes on....obviously I don't know where you are planning to be, but for a young chap like yourself it might be a great place to try and get established.

snowbunny Jun 10th 2010 10:13 pm

:lightbulb:

I'm assuming the OP is not eligible for the DV, but I know a few people who are eligible. Thanks for the reminder.

dbj1000 Jun 10th 2010 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8624957)
Well, English literature may not pump immigration's 'nads, but it pumps mine!...

Could have done without that particular image on this fine, sunny afternoon, thanks Ian! :eek:

Errol Jun 11th 2010 12:42 am

[QUOTE=Englishmum;8625148]You are extremely fortunate having dual nationality - :)

I could be mistaken, please check, I believe the U.S considers the country of birth only regardless of residency or other citizenships.

Errol

Noorah101 Jun 11th 2010 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Errol (Post 8625437)
I could be mistaken, please check, I believe the U.S considers the country of birth only regardless of residency or other citizenships.

Errol

That's true for the diversity lottery.

Rene

ian-mstm Jun 11th 2010 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Errol (Post 8625437)
I believe the U.S considers the country of birth only regardless of residency or other citizenships.

For the DV, yes... for any other visa, no.

Ian

lifehouse51 Jun 11th 2010 2:02 am

There are a lot of categories under J-1, and you probably have to see if your employer, or a third-party agency will be sponsoring it. For the latter, you may not be tied to a specific employer.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/ty...es_1267.html#1
Take a particular look at the Category "Travel/Work Pilot Program for Australians"...It was started in 2007 but I'm not sure if it's still an active program or not.

Certain categories of J-1 are subject to what's known as the 2-year Home Residence Requirement...meaning that you have to leave the U.S. and return to your home country after the J-1 Program ends so as to utilize your skills to help the development of your home country. To generalize, if your place of permanent residence is the UK or Australia, then usually only Government-funded J-1 Programs or people going for Graduate Medical Education will be subject to this requirement.

E-3 is a working visa category for Australians, regardless of whether you acquired it by birth, by descent, or by naturalization. It's usually for jobs that require a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent working experience. It's actually a more favorable visa in certain ways compared to H1-B, the more well-known working visa available for all countries. Since the cost of sponsoring it is low for the employer (The filing needed is free on the employer's side, only cost really is hiring a law firm to prepare the paperwork), you may find more employers willing to sponsor E-3 than the more common H1-B. Some of the drawbacks though, are: Currently the Visa Application fee for E-3 (Paid by YOU) is US$390 vs. $140 for H1-B. E-3 is renewed every 2 years vs. H1-B can be renewed every 3 years.