Have i abandoned my Green card

Old Sep 30th 2002, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

senanf is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Have i abandoned my Green card

Hi all, I need help with this one, i know its british ex pats and all that but i thought you might help a neighbour Im Irish, I won my Green card in the DV 2000 lottery program. Went to live/work in NYC in Jan 2000 during that year i met my girlfriend and things were great except for she was ona j1 and had 2 years of college so late 2000 i went back to ireland to be with her but i never fill out the leaving form or what ever its called and headed back to ireland now 2 years on shes finished college and we would love to go back and try america again i have my physical green card and social security card here in ireland, would i be stopped if i tried to use my green card to reenter america or would i be fine to pick up where i left off and use my social security number to get a job again? or have i blow it or have i any chance ?? please help dont know where i stant on this one any help would be much appreciated

Cheers all
Man City fan !!
Old Sep 30th 2002, 9:49 pm
Joachim Feise

Default Re: Have i abandoned my Green card

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Stuart Brook wrote:

> senanf wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi all, I need help with this one, i know its british ex pats and all
    > > that but i thought you might help a neighbour Im Irish, I won my
    > > Green card in the DV 2000 lottery program. Went to live/work in NYC in
    > > Jan 2000 during that year i met my girlfriend and things were great
    > > except for she was ona j1 and had 2 years of college so late 2000 i went
    > > back to ireland to be with her but i never fill out the leaving form or
    > > what ever its called and headed back to ireland now 2 years on shes
    > > finished college and we would love to go back and try america again i
    > > have my physical green card and social security card here in ireland,
    > > would i be stopped if i tried to use my green card to reenter america or
    > > would i be fine to pick up where i left off and use my social security
    > > number to get a job again? or have i blow it or have i any chance ??
    > > please help dont know where i stant on this one any help would be much
    > > appreciated
    > >
    > > Cheers all
    > > Man City fan !!
    > You're dead. You blew it. They won't let you back in ... it's just
    > been too long. You need to be back within 6 months.

That is one year. After one year abroad without reentry permit, you
lose the GC.

Old Oct 1st 2002, 2:46 am
LeightonJ

Originally posted by senanf:
Hi all, I need help with this one, i know its british ex pats and all that but i thought you might help a neighbour Im Irish, I won my Green card in the DV 2000 lottery program. Went to live/work in NYC in Jan 2000 during that year i met my girlfriend and things were great except for she was ona j1 and had 2 years of college so late 2000 i went back to ireland to be with her but i never fill out the leaving form or what ever its called and headed back to ireland now 2 years on shes finished college and we would love to go back and try america again i have my physical green card and social security card here in ireland, would i be stopped if i tried to use my green card to reenter america or would i be fine to pick up where i left off and use my social security number to get a job again? or have i blow it or have i any chance ?? please help dont know where i stant on this one any help would be much appreciated

Cheers all
Man City fan !!
do you know how many people iin the usa that want a green card and cant get one.i hate to see carelass people like you do that.see you think iit is easy to get a green card because you won it.now u are going to feel when u have to get it step by step.

Old Oct 1st 2002, 8:19 am
John Smith

You should apply for the 2004 visa lottery, who knows you might win again.

Old Oct 1st 2002, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

PRESIDENT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by John Smith:
You should apply for the 2004 visa lottery, who knows you might win again.

You should contact the US Embassy in Dublin and speak to someone in the immigration visa section. Under certain circumstances, they may be able to restore your residency. You will have to speak to them about it. Or get yourself a good immigration lawyer and see if you have a case that can be pursued.