Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Has anyone successfully received a US visa with a UK criminal record

Has anyone successfully received a US visa with a UK criminal record

Old May 18th 2020, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Jacob50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has anyone successfully received a US visa with a UK criminal record

Thanks. I just hope I pick a good attorney and my wife sticks by me.
Old May 18th 2020, 5:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone successfully received a US visa with a UK criminal record

Originally Posted by Jacob50
Thanks. I just hope I pick a good attorney and my wife sticks by me.
Good luck!
Old May 18th 2020, 5:28 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Thank you.

Probably, yes, in that ballpark.
What do you base your information on?
There won't be any court appearances, no in-person visits to the embassy, it's just advice and filing the forms as their advocate.
Old May 18th 2020, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
The problem is that pleading guilty to an accusation in court doesn't mean that you actually did it, any more than being acquitted means that you didn't.

Every day people plead guilty to crimes they didn't commit for all sorts of reasons, just like "innocent" people unfairly walk out of court with their liberties intact.

If OP maintains that he didn't do it and was advised to plead regardless by his brief, I don't think anyone here is really in a place to question that - none of us were there at the time.

Granted it's a moot point from an immigration perspective - a conviction is a conviction - but I do think you're being slightly harsh with OP when it comes to his past.
I wasn't being harsh, I was looking at it from an immigration perspective. The details don't matter but what it on his record does, and that makes him guilty. Perhaps I didn't explain it properly.

Thanks Guindalf for your reply. It has made me feel even worse about myself.
you don’t know my circumstances and mental state of mind when these things happened.
people find themselves in vulnerable situations that don’t always end well. As for the Esta. How many people have not understood it.
Anyway. Be judgemental if you wish. Judge me without knowing all the good things I’ve done for others.
I ask for help. You have a president who many would say has done many things, good or bad.
we have a prime minister and his colleagues who admit to be cocaine users in their younger days. Buying and using cocaine is far more serious than what I admitted to under duress, but what’s done is done, I can’t go back in time which Is why I’m trying to source positive outcomes and help.
I'm NOT being judgemental, I'm being realistic and looking at it at face value. Facts are that you have convictions, you 'lied' on your ESTA (whether you knew or not), the 'good things you've done for others' probably makes absolutely no difference to your application and you kept it from your wife. The latter point I WILL be judgemental, wondering how you can keep something so fundamental from your spouse, but that's a persona;l opinion and nothing to do with the rest of it.

BTW, what the excuse of a US president and BoJo did in their past has nothing to do with anything.
Old May 18th 2020, 5:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
What do you base your information on? ....
How much a skilled and knowledeably attorney can charge for their services - the time spent reviewing the case, and digging into the details. In short "supply and demand and market forces".

Private client attorney rates are typically in the range $200-$1,000 hour, with the rate being towards the higher end in large cities, and for more knowledgable and experienced attorneys, so I could easy see that Jacob races an hourly rate of $700/hr, with an hour for the original fact-finding, a couple more for review and research, and more for case preparation and review. Of course some work will be performed by an associate or paralegal, but IMO it won't be hard to rack up $3,000-$4,000 in fees before the rejection, so then any addtional requiremts and correspondence will be on top. It is certainly possible that the total fees could be less than $5,000, but I would still recommend being prepared for a higher figure.
Old May 18th 2020, 5:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I have been told that we are not allowed to make recommendations on here now, although I am not sure why. If you use the search function, you can probably find a reference to one that practices in CA that was previously often mentioned.
Incorrect. Please see below for the correct information.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Not sure who's told you that, but that's not correct, the rules are the same as they've always been. Recommendations are welcomed as long as people don't recommend their own services, or that of a friend/somebody they've been paid to promote.

HTH.
I will add to that...or the services of someone who has been banned from BE. <<<Please note Mr. F.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 18th 2020 at 5:56 pm.
Old May 18th 2020, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

For the OP who is looking to hear from someone who has a criminal record and/or successfully or not obtained a visa for the US.

There is a thread immediately below this one

B2 visa help

Not an identical situation, but it shows what one needs to go through in some cases to obtain a US visa.
Old May 18th 2020, 6:09 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
An initial consultation will probably give you the same information that Folinsky has just given you - that people have succeeded. What you need is a bit of handholding through the application and that shouldn't be that expensive - you don't need to be representated in court which would be expensive. My lawyer charges a flat rate for this kind of thing and it's nowhere near what you seem to think.
Also TELL YOUR WIFE!!!!
I have long been impressed with Ms. Scott’s consultation procedure. It is not just a telephone call.

My response to OP really wasn’t a consultation. He wanted to hear from anyone who had received a visa in a situation like his - which a few past clients of mine had. Now, if his description was along the lines of “I’ve lead an exemplary life other than the four tons of marijuana found in my truck” I probably would have refrained from answering. (On the mj conviction see Padilla v Kentucky for facts).

Last edited by S Folinsky; May 18th 2020 at 6:33 pm. Reason: Add Padilla cite.
Old May 18th 2020, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a spot of light reading...

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

As mentioned by shiversaint these are for non-immigrant visas. An immigrant visa will be more stringent but you'll get the idea.
Old May 18th 2020, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the links and search suggestions. I’ve been reading for hours.

lets say I have my interview did the I -130. The officer will deny me a visa at the interview. They will then tell me if they are recommending me for a waiver.
i then fill in the waiver forms, send them off and wait for the decision.

if I do get the waiver, this visa waiver will allow me to live in the US permantly or do I have to keep renewing it every so many years?

thanks everyone for your help.

Old May 18th 2020, 9:16 pm

...... If I do get the waiver, this visa waiver will allow me to live in the US permantly or do I have to keep renewing it every so many years?

thanks everyone for your help.
As you've been married for more than two years you would get an IR-1 visa which qualifies you for a ten year green card on entry to the US. You can renew your green card every ten years for the rest of your like or for as long as you want to live in the US, or at any time after the third anniversay (less 90 days) of your entry to the US on your IR-1 you can apply for US citizenship.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 18th 2020 at 9:22 pm.
Old May 18th 2020, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that. So many visas etc it gets confusing.
Old May 18th 2020, 10:16 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
How much a skilled and knowledeably attorney can charge for their services - the time spent reviewing the case, and digging into the details. In short "supply and demand and market forces".

Private client attorney rates are typically in the range $200-$1,000 hour, with the rate being towards the higher end in large cities, and for more knowledgable and experienced attorneys, so I could easy see that Jacob races an hourly rate of $700/hr, with an hour for the original fact-finding, a couple more for review and research, and more for case preparation and review. Of course some work will be performed by an associate or paralegal, but IMO it won't be hard to rack up $3,000-$4,000 in fees before the rejection, so then any addtional requiremts and correspondence will be on top. It is certainly possible that the total fees could be less than $5,000, but I would still recommend being prepared for a higher figure.
I would think that $3-4,000 would be on the lower end. I have personally only paid 1 US immigration lawyer to get permission to apply for US Citizenship (not a US matter) that was an LA Lawyer and the all in fee was close to $2,000. I have also engaged a number of NYC Metro Firms for H1B’s lottery, H1b transfer/renewals, a GC application and also received quotes on L1b’s (which they discouraged, because they only really wanted to take on cases that would keep their high approval record) .... these were all vanilla applications with no issues like the OP’s and “Flat fee” and mostly done by the paralegals.... the fees were all in $3,500-$5000 range (excluding USCIS fees). As with all things you can find cheaper, our PEO offers to do H1b’s but when your focus is on getting the visa approved going cheap may not be the best value for money.
Old May 18th 2020, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

LondonAlb is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing to do with a spouse visa but I worked in Disney and Universal doing their summer programmes a few years back whilst I was in university. At 17, I received a youth reprimand for criminal damage. This came to light in the application process for both work Visa's and I had no issues. I then travelled 5 times after my summer programmes ended on Estas. No stops, no issues, no Esta rejections. Not sure how "tied up" their systems are.
Old May 18th 2020, 11:14 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I would think that $3-4,000 would be on the lower end. I have personally only paid 1 US immigration lawyer to get permission to apply for US Citizenship (not a US matter) that was an LA Lawyer and the all in fee was close to $2,000. I have also engaged a number of NYC Metro Firms for H1B’s lottery, H1b transfer/renewals, a GC application and also received quotes on L1b’s (which they discouraged, because they only really wanted to take on cases that would keep their high approval record) .... these were all vanilla applications with no issues like the OP’s and “Flat fee” and mostly done by the paralegals.... the fees were all in $3,500-$5000 range (excluding USCIS fees). As with all things you can find cheaper, our PEO offers to do H1b’s but when your focus is on getting the visa approved going cheap may not be the best value for money.
We used a lawyer last year to do my son's naturalization - flat fee of $1k. Extra fees due if she accompanied him to the interview - not needed in our case. I thought it was a bit steep at first since all she appeared to be doing was filling in the n400 and sending it off. She advised him regarding interview questions and then sorted out the stupid "signature" issue. By doing that she saved us more than her fee.
I looked at Folinsky's link for the lawyer in NH and it sounds very much like our lawyer. And from what he has written and what the NH lawyer has on her website, I think I'd go ahead with the application ( being very humble and apologetic about past misdemeanors) and if it was rejected, then bring in a lawyer to go through the waiver stuff.
But first, I'd be honest with the wife.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.