Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Has anyone extended their I-94 at the border?

Has anyone extended their I-94 at the border?

Old Sep 1st 2021, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone extended their I-94 at the border?

Originally Posted by ecpb1992 View Post
We have made our decisions on the route we need to take and filing for the extension of stay still does not negate the fact that our I-94 needs to be renewed. An extension of stay would not be returned before the I-94 expires due to severe USCIS backlogs, so it is somewhat a moot point. If you have any experience in renewing I-94’s during COVID, I will welcome a response but I don’t wish to get into a debate about anything else regarding our visa status or the ‘right’ route to take to renew or extend.
I think you are confused about something very basic. Extension of stay extends your status, i.e. when approved, it grants you a new I-94, which is the same thing that would be accomplished if you left and re-entered, which is what you're proposing to do. Neither an Extension of Stay, nor leaving and re-entry (what you're proposing to do) have anything to do with applying for a new visa at a consulate. Visa and status are separate things. Both of them just grants you a new period of status (i.e. a new I-94).

It is not true that it is a "moot point" that Extension of Stay will not be processed before your I-94 expires. It is perfectly normal that Extension of Stay is not approved before your status expires. As long as your Extension of Stay application is filed before your status expires, you can stay in the US for an unlimited amount of time while it is pending, and your husband can work for 240 days after the I-94 expiry while the extension is pending.

Extension of Stay is very relevant because it accomplishes the same result as what you are proposing to do (leave an re-enter) without needing to leave and re-enter. Please tell what exactly you think your proposal accomplishes that an Extension of Stay application does not, because I think you have some confusion there.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 9:00 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if there are some facts missing in the description of OP's case which might clarify matters. Otherwise, headscratching remains.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky View Post
I wonder if there are some facts missing in the description of OP's case which might clarify matters. Otherwise, headscratching remains.
Especially as they stated:

"We are NOT filing with the USCIS an extension of stay for our visa after seeking legal advice and have chosen to only re-apply in our home country for a multitude of reasons."

I suspect there's something pertinent that they haven't mentioned, and which would shed light on those "multitude of reasons".
Old Sep 1st 2021, 6:52 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ecpb1992 View Post
Advice and experienced welcome! We’ve applied for our E2 renewal but due to COVID delays, our i94 needs to be extended before our visa expires and leaves us ‘landlocked. Has anyone else done this recently and/or more specifically at Otay Mesa?

Thanks!
I've heard that there is a procedure in place at both San Ysidro and Otay Mesa to arrange for flagpoling. It's been a long time since I've done it (15 years ago). By the way, on the pedantic side of things, the border people do not "extend" your I-94. Either you get a new I-94 (with a new date) or you are readmitted on the same I-94 with same date. ( Also assuming you are not refused admission).