Wikiposts

Happy Fourth of July Everyone...

Old Jul 4th 2004, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

resu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Happy Fourth of July Everyone...

Originally posted by ian-mstm
Thanks Ranjini. On Friday, my coworkers and I went out for lunch at our local Texas Roadhouse. I arrived about 10 minutes after the rest of them, and when I arrived I was absolutely surprised. They had made a 5" long banner which read "He's Proud to be an American" with flags all over it and the two photos I posted here - the one with me and the judge at my oath ceremony and the one with me and my certificate. They even had presents for me as they officially welcomed me to the US (even though I've been working there for 3.5 years). They gave me a t-shirt with "America" on the front done in red, white and blue letters; a brass Statue of Liberty clock; a Yankee Doodle beanie baby; and some other bits and pieces. Their kindness and well wishes were quite overwhelming. Made me proud to be an American!

Ian
Very nice of them.

This is, however, what scares me the most with immigrating to America. I would never call my self an American, is that a crime? I'm Swedish and will always be. And I will never wear an American flag on my t-shirt - why would I? I will celebrate 4th of July just like everyone else, but I don't want anyone to ever try to change my identity or forget about my history.

I don't mean to piss anyone off with this, I know that Americans are just trying to be friendly by doing stuff like this and that there's nothing but a good will behind it. However, it scares me more than anything else. I'm as proud of being Swedish as any American is of being American, and the only reason I'm leaving my country is becouse my future wife lives there.

I know this is OT, sorry.

Ola
Sweden
Old Jul 5th 2004, 12:18 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by occl
I will celebrate 4th of July just like everyone else, but I don't want anyone to ever try to change my identity or forget about my history.

Ola
Sweden
No one can change anything or would want to except you. My next door neighbour's grandmother is a grand old Swedish lady, Swedish accent and all...
Old Jul 5th 2004, 3:27 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice of them.

This is, however, what scares me the most with immigrating to America. I would never call my self an American, is that a crime? I'm Swedish and will always be. And I will never wear an American flag on my t-shirt - why would I? I will celebrate 4th of July just like everyone else, but I don't want anyone to ever try to change my identity or forget about my history.

I don't mean to piss anyone off with this, I know that Americans are just trying to be friendly by doing stuff like this and that there's nothing but a good will behind it. However, it scares me more than anything else. I'm as proud of being Swedish as any American is of being American, and the only reason I'm leaving my country is becouse my future wife lives there.

Ola
Sweden
Ola, you are what you are, what your citizenship is, is your choice. It is neither a crime, nor a requirement to change. But bless your heart, wearing an American flag on your tee shirt doesn't make you any more of an American, then wearing a Swedish flag on my tee shirt makes me a Swede, . The important thing is having an identity and being true to it.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 3:59 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Cindy's reply to you was so well said.

Perhaps you didn't know that Ian had recently become a US citizen having taken the oath of US citizen a week ago. So for him, the celebration was a lovely welcome by his fellow US citizens and co-workers. I'm sure, that like my husband who is Canadian as Ian is and a US Citizen as well, that both men are just as proud of their Canadian heritage and do not feel that they have abandoned their birth citizenship by become US citizens.

Speaking strictly for my husband, I know that he felt that since he wears the military uniform of the US, has chosen to live here because he married a US Citizen who cannot migrate to his country because of medical reasons, that he would become a citizen of the US so that he could fully participate in all the privileges and duties that the US has to offer.

As for the wearing the flag issue, I dislike wearing someone's name on my clothing. Calvin, Coach, etc. be darned. My arse does not carry anyone's signature but the imprint of my cheeks ;-)

Rete

Very nice of them.

Ola
Sweden
Old Jul 5th 2004, 4:44 am
Banned

Originally posted by Gaylord

It was great fun... now the next big holiday is in November right?
Thanksgiving.. thats gonna be a blast!

Jay

The next holiday weekend will be for Labor day. Lynch you? Nah.. btw which English football club jersey ?
Old Jul 5th 2004, 6:04 am
Gaylord

> The next holiday weekend
    > will be for Labor day. Lynch you? Nah.. btw which English football
    > club jersey ?

The English national strip one.. the white one of course

Old Jul 5th 2004, 6:28 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

This is, however, what scares me the most with immigrating to America. I would never call my self an American, is that a crime? I'm Swedish and will always be.
I applaud your sense of individualism. I hold citizenship in three countries and, like you, wouldn't trade one for another. I was a proud Canadian on July 1, a proud American on July 4, and I'll be a proud Brit on November 5 (you may need to look that one up). Whenever there's a holiday, I'm happy to celebrate.

Ian
Old Jul 5th 2004, 6:45 am
No Spam

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 11:04:28 -0700, "Gaylord"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> The next holiday weekend
    >> will be for Labor day. Lynch you? Nah.. btw which English football
    >> club jersey ?
    >The English national strip one.. the white one of course
Yeah, you know - the one that all those football hooligans that got
deported from Portugal a fortnight ago were wearing.

Old Jul 5th 2004, 8:09 am
Banned

Originally posted by Gaylord
    > The next holiday weekend
    > will be for Labor day. Lynch you? Nah.. btw which English football
    > club jersey ?

The English national strip one.. the white one of course
I like the red one, especially if David Beckham was wearing it
Old Jul 5th 2004, 9:28 am
Gaylord

> Yeah, you know - the one that all those football hooligans that got
    > deported from Portugal a fortnight ago were wearing.

Its funny how the english fan's always get deported, Im pretty sure that
most other
teams have hooligans as well and got deported from Euro 2004

Old Jul 5th 2004, 1:35 pm
No Spam

Default OT - Re: Happy Fourth of July Everyone...

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 14:28:25 -0700, "Gaylord"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Its funny how the english fan's always get deported, Im pretty sure that
    >most other
    >teams have hooligans as well and got deported from Euro 2004
http://dw-tv.de/english/0%2C3367%2C1..._1_A%2C00.html

*Obviously* other teams have hooligans. I can't seem to find any news
of other countries 'fans' being deported from Euro 2004 though.

As well known as they are for violence - at any time - I would pretty
much bet that if they ran into you they would certainly "take you
where it hurts" - with their boots on!

Old Jul 5th 2004, 4:53 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ranjini
Especially to Jim, Steve (as in Steve and Lisa) Ian and all the others who are celebrating their first Independence day as Americans!! And to all our American friends and soon-to-be Americans on the forum. Have a lovely day...
It's my second independence day as an American. Ken and I will be celebrating once again by taking in the fireworks at Riverfront Park. We have rather a lovely day here. Cool but nice. Weatherman says take a jacket ...
http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcar...ode=9498551435
Ranjini
Ranjini!! Thank you very much for the lovely display!!
I didn't get to see this until today, (I have been out all weekend!!)
Happy 4th of July too!!
Take care!!
Old Jul 5th 2004, 4:57 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ranjini
I like the red one, especially if David Beckham was wearing it
Hech yeah!!! Go Beckham!!! Go Real Madrid (Ducking for cover!! lol)
Old Jul 6th 2004, 4:06 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Happy 4th to you too (a few days later ) We didn't go to see any fireworks, but we rented a few movies since we have "peasant tv" aka no cable yet. Three day weekends go by so fast.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 4:22 am
Banned

Originally posted by jcapulet
Happy 4th to you too (a few days later ) We didn't go to see any fireworks, but we rented a few movies since we have "peasant tv" aka no cable yet. Three day weekends go by so fast.
We have the whole nine-yards, directv plus some movie channels. But I still prefer to rent and watch at my leisure What I DO watch are your "peasant" daytime tv channels. The Today show and Ellen Degeneres (she's soooo funny!!) I never miss...
Oh we did see "The Notebook" at the cinema on Saturday. A REAL romance-type thing which I usually avoid. But this was pretty good. I read the book ages ago... and I just wanted to see it. And hubby very sweetly accompanied me (I think he liked it too?!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.