British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Had US citizenship interview...but waiting for oath ceremony... :( (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/had-us-citizenship-interview-but-waiting-oath-ceremony-607193/)

frrussre May 22nd 2009 5:34 pm

Re: Had US citizenship interview...but waiting for oath ceremony... :(

Originally Posted by Clangers (Post 7597087)
Well my oath letter arrived (5/12) and my ceremony was this Wednesday (5/20).... all went well, and I'm now a US CITIZEN!!! :thumbsup:

Better get a rushed USA passport, pronto. You will need it to return to USA, from your planned trip. You will be unable to show your foreign passport & green card, you know longer have a green card. You must enter as a USC.
Good, luck congratulations.
Reg. Frank R.

Clangers May 22nd 2009 5:42 pm

Thanks, I'll have plenty of time to apply for one....not rushing back for a while...will apply in the UK...

frrussre May 22nd 2009 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Clangers (Post 7597096)
Thanks, I'll have plenty of time to apply for one....not rushing back for a while...will apply in the UK...

Not an expert, just think you need to apply in USA, could even get it sent to you in UK, seems like lot of effort. Pay for expedite, think only $60. Not even sure, if doable. They may wonder how you exited the USA. Why, open possible can of worms.
Still lets wait a few minutes, someone smarter then me on the subject will be by.
Reg. Frank R.

Ps, buying UK passport in USA, is more expensive then buying one in UK, may be same the other way around for USA????

Ozzidoc May 22nd 2009 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 7542726)
You need to know that if you do become a USC prior to your departure date, you *MUST* have a US passport in order to get back into the US.

Probably the safest course of action given your time constraints.

Ian

What about leaving the US, Ian? The OP wont have a I-94 or a greencard to show. Is either necessary?

henryh May 23rd 2009 12:46 am

US citizens must, by law, leave the US on a US passport.
There is no penalty for breaking this law, but it is still a law.

The airline will let you board with just a British passport and no I-94.

The "right thing to do" is to get an expedited US passport before you leave. It might cost less than getting a US passport in the UK anyway. You would get away with the plan you have, but it's technically illegal.

Clangers May 23rd 2009 3:27 am

Originally Posted by henryh (Post 7597785)
US citizens must, by law, leave the US on a US passport.
There is no penalty for breaking this law, but it is still a law.

The airline will let you board with just a British passport and no I-94.

The "right thing to do" is to get an expedited US passport before you leave. It might cost less than getting a US passport in the UK anyway. You would get away with the plan you have, but it's technically illegal.

Hmmmm....strange, because the passport office said as long as I was travelling on my UK passport, I should be fine and show my evdience of US citizenship with my certificate....
I'll check into it...thanks for your comments and red flag!

ian-mstm May 23rd 2009 3:35 am

Originally Posted by Clangers (Post 7598012)
... the passport office said as long as I was travelling on my UK passport, I should be fine and show my evdience of US citizenship with my certificate.

They're wrong. A US citizen *must* have a US passport to enter the US. Your Certificate of Naturalization is *not* a valid travel document, and you can *not* use your UK passport to enter once you're a USC. That is the law.

Ian

Clangers May 23rd 2009 3:41 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 7598026)
They're wrong. A US citizen *must* have a US passport to enter the US. Your Certificate of Naturalization is *not* a valid travel document, and you can *not* use your UK passport to enter once you're a USC. That is the law.

Ian

Even leaving the US??? I wouldn't come back into the US without one of course, in between arriving in the UK, I would get one - just don't have time to travel to LA to get an expedited one....but now by the sounds of it, maybe I will have to....
Hate it when people don't tell you the correct info!! that's why I asked them specifically.... Grrr.. :)

srah May 23rd 2009 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Clangers (Post 7598037)
Even leaving the US??? I wouldn't come back into the US without one of course, in between arriving in the UK, I would get one - just don't have time to travel to LA to get an expedited one....but now by the sounds of it, maybe I will have to....
Hate it when people don't tell you the correct info!! that's why I asked them specifically.... Grrr.. :)

You only have to enter the USA on your US passport....you do not require it to leave. So you can apply in the UK and have it mailed there...I know of others who have done the same.

henryh May 23rd 2009 3:57 am

Originally Posted by srah (Post 7598041)
You only have to enter the USA on your US passport....you do not require it to leave. So you can apply in the UK and have it mailed there...I know of others who have done the same.

INA 215(b)
"Except as otherwise provided by the President and subject to such limitations and exceptions as the President may authorize and prescribe, it shall be unlawful for any citizen of the United States to depart from or enter, or attempt to depart from or enter, the United States unless he bears a valid United States passport."

I wonder what "bears" means in this context. Do you have to show it, or merely carry it? Either way I think you are supposed to have it with you.

You would very very likely get away without having one when you leave. There is, AFAIK, no prescribed punishment. But the law is pretty clear.

ian-mstm May 23rd 2009 3:58 am

Even leaving the US?

As henryh indicated, by law a USC is required to have a US passport to leave the US. However, there is no passport control when exiting the US and so that law is not enforced... so you may not have any problem leaving on your UK passport. Just as long as you know that it's against the law!

Ian

Clangers May 23rd 2009 4:09 am

Thanks guys.....

ok - so I always make things difficult...BUT, I notice on my US passport application form that it says date of travel and length....ermmmm... I don't have a return date, I bought a one way ticket!! NOW what do I do????

Reason beign it actually was cheaper than buying a return, and I wanted to start my son's return tickets originating from the UK, so he'd always be returning back to the UK (he has dual passports).

Thanks for any further advice.... :o

ian-mstm May 23rd 2009 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Clangers (Post 7598069)
I notice on my US passport application form that it says date of travel and length....ermmmm... I don't have a return date, I bought a one way ticket!! NOW what do I do?

You don't really need to do anything... you are a US citizen and so are allowed to be outside the US for as long as you want.

I wanted to start my son's return tickets originating from the UK, so he'd always be returning back to the UK (he has dual passports).
If he has dual UK/US passports, it doesn't matter where the ticket or flight originates.

Ian

frrussre May 23rd 2009 11:42 am

Unless you are, leaving 24/48 hours, you would not usually need to go to LA/Big city. I got mine in about one week, by applying at main post office & paid $60, for expedite.

Reg. Frank R.