Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Had US citizenship interview...but waiting for oath ceremony... :(

Had US citizenship interview...but waiting for oath ceremony... :(

Old May 5th 2009, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

Clangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud of
Default Had US citizenship interview...but waiting for oath ceremony... :(

Hi
I passed my US citizenship test and interview on April 23, and also applied for a name change in the process. Was told I have to wait for the oath ceremony and even though it was 10 days ago, am starting to panic....because... I had gone ahead and booked my ticket to the UK for June 8!!! Was told from 'others' that it would probably only take a few weeks to get the oath notice....
I may just have to keep my ticket and postpone the oath when it comes in and return to the US to take the oath....

Any advice.....
Thanks!!
Old May 5th 2009, 3:08 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Had US citizenship interview...but waiting for oath ceremony... :(

Originally Posted by Clangers
Hi
I passed my US citizenship test and interview on April 23, and also applied for a name change in the process. Was told I have to wait for the oath ceremony and even though it was 10 days ago, am starting to panic....because... I had gone ahead and booked my ticket to the UK for June 8!!! Was told from 'others' that it would probably only take a few weeks to get the oath notice....
I may just have to keep my ticket and postpone the oath when it comes in and return to the US to take the oath....

Any advice.....
Thanks!!
It's no problem to reschedule the oath ceremony. Just make sure you have someone checking your mail in the USA so they can return the required form if that happens. Also make sure your time in the UK does not put you over the "time outside the USA" mark and make you ineligible for citizenship.

Rene
Old May 5th 2009, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

Clangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud of

Thanks--- what is that amount of time?
and how often can I reschedule....would rather have it all settled before going...
Old May 5th 2009, 4:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

and how often can I reschedule....would rather have it all settled before going...
You'll have to look in the USCIS' Guide to Naturalization (search on www.uscis.gov) to find out how long you're allowed outside the USA and how that affects your naturalization. If you aren't anywhere close to going over the limit for being outside the USA, and you aren't going to be gone long, I wouldn't worry.

You can probably keep postponing, as long as nothing changes you qualifying between the approval and the oath.

Rene
Old May 5th 2009, 5:22 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

The more times you change it, the more opportunities for USCIS to screw up and claim you skipped the ceremony. That is what you should be worried about.
Old May 5th 2009, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I had gone ahead and booked my ticket to the UK for June 8!
You need to know that if you do become a USC prior to your departure date, you *MUST* have a US passport in order to get back into the US.

I may just have to keep my ticket and postpone the oath when it comes in and return to the US to take the oath...
Probably the safest course of action given your time constraints.

Ian
Old May 5th 2009, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Any advice.....
Thanks!!
I'm not sure where your ceremony will be. rescheduling the ceremony shouldn't be a problem - but as Ian say, it gives more chance for mistakes. Can't you change your 'plane tickets for another later time?
Hope you're not in Boston area as this may depress you further - last year my interview was in early-July and I got my oath ceremony in late-November - after the election....
Old May 5th 2009, 12:59 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I617/1.0 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6))

I had my interviw on April 1st and was told that I'd have the swearing in date within 2 weeks. I received my Notice on April 14th. I would seriously consider changing your tickets rather than the oath date due to various reasons stated above.
Old May 5th 2009, 1:08 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I617/1.0 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6))

I'd best also point out that the letter I got on April 14th was for an appointment on May 14th.

One thing I've learned from these boards is that USCIS is generally infallible, even when they cock something up. If you request to change your date and they don't for whatever reason, it's your fault for not going to the original ceremony
Old May 5th 2009, 1:56 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You need to know that if you do become a USC prior to your departure date, you *MUST* have a US passport in order to get back into the US.
An excellent point. Getting a US passport can take a while.
Old May 5th 2009, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
An excellent point. Getting a US passport can take a while.
My new USC husband got his expedited passport here in Phoenix in 6 working days...but other's mileage may vary. One can also go in person to one of the main passport centers in the USA and get one the same day. Of course, additional cost involved.

Rene
Old May 5th 2009, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
My new USC husband got his expedited passport here in Phoenix in 6 working days...but other's mileage may vary. One can also go in person to one of the main passport centers in the USA and get one the same day. Of course, additional cost involved.

Rene
My (expedited as well) passport was 8 actual days over the Thanksgiving period, so I don't think that this will be the rate-determining step, do you?

I was bitten by the USCIS (INS as it was then) with our wedding date - original date had to be postponed as I hadn't got an interview date for the K-1 visa. So, I know that it's wise to make plans once you know what the other fella (USCIS) is up to!
Old May 5th 2009, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

I had to postpone my oath and it went pretty smoothly.

When I wrote to postpone I told them the reason and the earliest time that would work, and they gave me the new date in line with what I explained.

It all depends on the importance of your trip.

Of course, you will need to get the oath notice before you can postpone it.
Old May 5th 2009, 3:02 pm
Powder Maggot

Originally Posted by AlanR
My (expedited as well) passport was 8 actual days over the Thanksgiving period, so I don't think that this will be the rate-determining step, do you?
If the ceremony is on June 5th, it will be. It's worth pointing out because many new USCs don't know that they can't come back on their UK passports.
Old May 23rd 2009, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

Well my oath letter arrived (5/12) and my ceremony was this Wednesday (5/20).... all went well, and I'm now a US CITIZEN!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.