Wikiposts

H3 trainee

Old Dec 13th 2006, 8:00 am
Robin Reumers

Default H3 trainee

Hi,

At the moment I'm applying for an H-3 visa in american to do an internship, do you think it's hard with the papers to get the visa? Basically I want to ask for a 6month-visa.

If I would have the visa, how long can I stay in America, what I heard is that you can stay for 3 months in America without a regular visa. Does these 3 months start after the H3 finishes or do I really have to out of the country when it finishes?

Thanks in advance, any help is welcome.

Robin

Old Dec 13th 2006, 8:16 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H3 trainee

Originally Posted by Robin Reumers
Hi,
At the moment I'm applying for an H-3 visa in american to do an internship, do you think it's hard with the papers to get the visa? Basically I want to ask for a 6month-visa.
If I would have the visa, how long can I stay in America, what I heard is that you can stay for 3 months in America without a regular visa. Does these 3 months start after the H3 finishes or do I really have to out of the country when it finishes?
Thanks in advance, any help is welcome.
Robin
Your US employer make the application not you ...
there is no extension facility for this visa....
You should leave and return with another isa
or visa waiver if your home country can use these
Old Dec 13th 2006, 7:52 pm
Robin Reumers

Ok thanks a lot for your replies. So there is basically no other way to get to America for about 6 months (other than applying for a J1 or H3 visa)? Because this really looks like a lot of hassle to get in.

Thanks

Robin

Old Dec 13th 2006, 8:02 pm
Robin Reumers

Here you're also talking about a lot of money, is it really necessary to pay at least 1000 dollar to get in to America just for an internship that doesn't pay you. Basically the studio I'm going to are doing me a big favour because I'll get the opportunity to learn a lot, so I don't think they are going to pay that much, which in return I have to pay myself..

Isn't there another option?

Robin

Old Dec 14th 2006, 12:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't there another option?
find another internship, one that either pays, or isn't in America.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 3:59 am
Robin Reumers

Ok, I see. Another option I'm thinking of : The internship might be for 6 months, so what I could do is go there without a visa and stay there for 3 months (isn't it?), then come back for a day to Belgium and leave again the day after for another 3 months. That would be a lot cheaper in my opinion, is this legally possible?

Thanks in advance.

Robin

Old Dec 15th 2006, 5:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I see. Another option I'm thinking of : The internship might be for 6 months, so what I could do is go there without a visa and stay there for 3 months (isn't it?), then come back for a day to Belgium and leave again the day after for another 3 months. That would be a lot cheaper in my opinion, is this legally possible?
Using the VWP? Not really, and it's for 90 days, not 3 months, there is a difference.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 8:29 pm
Robin Reumers

Hi,

Thanks, I just read a little more about the visa waiver programme. Do you think that would be an option? I'm basically doing an intern here in Amsterdam aswell for SAE, who does have an office in Miami aswell, so if I could go there in order to help the company with my intern, it should be possible, isn't it?

So I could be there for 90days then, if I then cross the border for a day and go back, can I stay another 90 then?

Thanks for your help so far..

Robin

Old Dec 16th 2006, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

istoleabloke is a jewel in the roughistoleabloke is a jewel in the roughistoleabloke is a jewel in the roughistoleabloke is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

Thanks, I just read a little more about the visa waiver programme. Do you think that would be an option? I'm basically doing an intern here in Amsterdam aswell for SAE, who does have an office in Miami aswell, so if I could go there in order to help the company with my intern, it should be possible, isn't it?

So I could be there for 90days then, if I then cross the border for a day and go back, can I stay another 90 then?

Thanks for your help so far..

Robin
The VWP is used on a tourist basis and wouldn't fit with your intentions for your stay. I also feel it would be difficult to stay 90 days, leave the US (see note below), and come right back and be able to get through the POE the second time...or even the first once you tell them why you are in the US (and you should not lie about your reason).

Note: If you merely cross a border and then come back, I don't believe that extends the VWP deadline anyway, but could be wrong about that.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 9:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

...so if I could go there in order to help the company with my intern, it should be possible, isn't it?

nope, to both fronts....there's a visa to do an internship, it's a J1....well it's a job training jobby.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 7:34 pm
Robin Reumers

Ok, thanks a lot. I think I'll go for the J1 then, is there anywhere I can find the exact differences in both H3 and J1 visa?

Robin

Old Dec 17th 2006, 2:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Ok, thanks a lot. I think I'll go for the J1 then, is there anywhere I can find the exact differences in both H3 and J1 visa?
google.