H1b visa help

Old Oct 4th 2005, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

davidgibb88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1b visa help

Good evening everyone, or morning wherever you my be!

I am in my final year of my degree in Bsc Mathematics and Computer Science and have already completed a year Industrial placement for a company in California on a J1 visa.

My question is can anyone give any ideas on how to go about getting a visa to go back to work in the USA not as a student.

I have been looking at this but I'm a little sceptical
http://www.h1base.com/details.asp?id=171&cat=49

They are meant to get you a job on this package and sort your visa out.

Anyone help, hope this all makes sense too lol

Cheers
David
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

dandc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: H1b visa help

Originally Posted by davidgibb88

I am in my final year of my degree in Bsc Mathematics and Computer Science and have already completed a year Industrial placement for a company in California on a J1 visa.

My question is can anyone give any ideas on how to go about getting a visa to go back to work in the USA not as a student.

Cheers
David
Hi David,

I am in my fourth year of my H1-b, and am working for my second company out here. The 'packages' that places like H1Base offer are seductive, but ultimately you are just paying for them to post your resume on a bunch of recruitment websites which is something you could do yourself for free.

Jobs in the US are certainly hard to come by, particularly if you are searching from overseas. One of the most common routes to working in the USA is getting a job with a company in your home country that has an office in the States, and then transferring. If you work for that company for over a year before transferring you can apply for an L1 (which I believe is valid for 6 or 7 years).

The most common working visa is the H1-b, however, and requires sponsorship from the hiring company. They are subject to a yearly cap which gets swallowed up very quickly, so you should try to get the application in as early as possible. The cap has been met for this year, so the earliest you can get your visa will be October of 2006. If you have a Masters, an additional 20,000 visa are available, so that might be something you could consider to improve your chances of securing one.

My advice to you would be to look into working for a company with an office in the States or possibly taking your Masters at a US university - lots of schools have job placement programs and you will be able to interview in person, which is an immeasurable benefit of being physically present in the country.

Best of luck to you!!
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

LynseyD is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: H1b visa help

Originally Posted by davidgibb88

Cheers
David

Hi

Have you tried the US embassy web site it gives you lots of information and will have links to direct you to the us gov site, thats got everything you need to know including their charges. It beats paying the other people at base.