British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   H1B Visa to B1 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/h1b-visa-b1-643801/)

GeordieMike Dec 7th 2009 4:34 pm

H1B Visa to B1

Hey folks,

I'm currently coming to the end of my H1B visa (expires in January) and I can not renew it as it's came to the end of the six year period.

However, my company really wants to keep me on and I was wondering if it's possible to return to the UK at the expiration of my H1B visa, then apply for a B1 visa and then reenter the US for the duration of that visa (which I believe is 3 months to a year depending on the job). After one year I would then be able to reapply for my H1B.

The company, although located in the US would be paying me in pounds into my UK account and I would theoretically be a UK resident just working in the US on a temporary basis.

Anyone see any issues with this? Experienced this in the past?

Thanks in advance!

Noorah101 Dec 7th 2009 4:44 pm

Re: H1B Visa to B1

Originally Posted by GeordieMike (Post 8153444)
Hey folks,

I'm currently coming to the end of my H1B visa (expires in January) and I can not renew it as it's came to the end of the six year period.

However, my company really wants to keep me on and I was wondering if it's possible to return to the UK at the expiration of my H1B visa, then apply for a B1 visa and then reenter the US for the duration of that visa (which I believe is 3 months to a year depending on the job). After one year I would then be able to reapply for my H1B.

The company, although located in the US would be paying me in pounds into my UK account and I would theoretically be a UK resident just working in the US on a temporary basis.

Anyone see any issues with this? Experienced this in the past?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, your plan has issues. See this thread for relevent details:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642724

Rene

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 7th 2009 4:57 pm

You can not work in the US on a B1 visa.

Why did you not go for GC?

GeordieMike Dec 7th 2009 5:10 pm

Saw the link to past discussions - doesn't look like a B1 is an option.

I didn't go with the green card because when they advertised my job hundreds of people applied (!) so the lawyers didn't want to risk applying and possibly failing to get one.

Is there an alternative? What happens if I come over as a tourist and leave after 90 days?

Noorah101 Dec 7th 2009 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by GeordieMike (Post 8153515)
What happens if I come over as a tourist and leave after 90 days?

Nothing happens....you can come visit the USA on the VWP for 90 days, no problem. But you are very limited as to the type of business you can be doing on the VWP. It's the same as the B-1.

Rene

GeordieMike Dec 7th 2009 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 8153526)
Nothing happens....you can come visit the USA on the VWP for 90 days, no problem. But you are very limited as to the type of business you can be doing on the VWP. It's the same as the B-1.

Rene

How can one find out the type of business that can be conducted under a VWP? Can't find anything on the travel.state.gov website although it does say the following "Note also that travelers planning to work or study cannot travel on VWP, and they must obtain the appropriate visa to travel to the United States. " hence my question.

christmasoompa Dec 7th 2009 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by GeordieMike (Post 8153549)
How can one find out the type of business that can be conducted under a VWP? Can't find anything on the travel.state.gov website although it does say the following "Note also that travelers planning to work or study cannot travel on VWP, and they must obtain the appropriate visa to travel to the United States. " hence my question.

If you do a search of the forums you'll find the exact wording, but basically it's only things like attend meetings or conferences.

meauxna Dec 7th 2009 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by GeordieMike (Post 8153515)
Saw the link to past discussions - doesn't look like a B1 is an option.

I didn't go with the green card because when they advertised my job hundreds of people applied (!) so the lawyers didn't want to risk applying and possibly failing to get one.

Is there an alternative? What happens if I come over as a tourist and leave after 90 days?

What ideas have "the lawyers" had?

ian-mstm Dec 7th 2009 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by GeordieMike (Post 8153549)
Can't find anything on the travel.state.gov website...

There's a reason that it's left deliberately vague... it allows the officers at the POE the widest possible latitude in making a decision whether or not to admit someone.

Ian

GeordieMike Dec 7th 2009 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8153717)
There's a reason that it's left deliberately vague... it allows the officers at the POE the widest possible latitude in making a decision whether or not to admit someone.

Ian

I feared that. Oh well.

emartin Dec 9th 2009 9:58 pm

In general, you can't provide any service to a US company or receive a benefit from them while in visitor status, whether B visa or VWP. Plus, any time that you spend in the US does not count towards your one year abroad in entitling you to another 6 years of H-1B status. You need to be physically outside the US for 365 days. So if you spend 4 weeks in the US, you can only reapply for H-1B status after 56 weeks.