British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   H1B Transfer Questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/h1b-transfer-questions-854861/)

VenturaBlvd Mar 19th 2015 5:48 pm

H1B Transfer Questions

I am in the process of transferring employers on H1B and have a fairly urgent request.

My current employer is getting a little strange - asking to be connected with the new employer's attorney and requesting I immediately hand my notice in via resignation letter. (As I am my current employer's first H1B employee, I'm sure they are just trying to do everything by the book in terms of notifying USCIS but appreciate any advice)

1)
My attorney with the new employer has not received the receipt from the USCIS regarding the transfer/application yet, so in theory I should not hand in my notice?

2)
Once it is confirmed I am leaving, what does my current employer have to do with the USCIS? As I am transferring, not leaving the country, I didn't think they needed to contact them.

Thanks

Guindalf Mar 19th 2015 6:00 pm

Re: H1B Transfer Questions

I would not hand in any form of notice until your new employer has confirmation or you run the risk of them letting you go beforehand and you may have to leave the country while it's processing. Of course, he could fire you nad you'd be in that position anyway, but let's hope for the best!

IANAL, so your best bet is to get advice from your new employer's attorney.

zerlesen Mar 19th 2015 6:04 pm

Once it is confirmed I am leaving, what does my current employer have to do with the USCIS? As I am transferring, not leaving the country, I didn't think they needed to contact them.
They want to inform the government that you are no longer working for them. I don't know if they are legally required to do this, or if they are just trying to make sure that USCIS doesn't suspect that they're engaging in visa fraud. I think the general idea is that an employer who brings people into the country and then just lets them wander off is eventually going to start finding it difficult to get petitions approved.

(As I am my current employer's first H1B employee, I'm sure they are just trying to do everything by the book in terms of notifying USCIS but appreciate any advice)
That would be my first thought as well. If they're asking to be put in touch with the new employer's attorney I'd say that actually sounds like a good sign, because hopefully it just means they want to coordinate when things get filed so that you don't get screwed.

Sally Redux Mar 19th 2015 6:07 pm

Maybe they have a vague worry as H1B employer has to fly employee back home if they sack them. Best to take legal advice as Guindalf says. My husband will be home soon and I'll ask him if he remembers what he did.

sir_eccles Mar 19th 2015 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 11596772)
IANAL, so your best bet is to get advice from your new employer's attorney.

Or get your own attorney. Remember neither attorney is your attorney, they represent the respective companies.

Sally Redux Mar 19th 2015 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11596787)
Maybe they have a vague worry as H1B employer has to fly employee back home if they sack them. Best to take legal advice as Guindalf says. My husband will be home soon and I'll ask him if he remembers what he did.

Not really. He just said it's OK to resign once the process has started.

VenturaBlvd Mar 19th 2015 9:34 pm

Thanks guys, very helpful. I just called the attorney handling the application. He told me under no circumstances to hand my notice in yet, just in case. Our receipt will likely be received next Wednesday so I should wait until then.

I agree that I don't think it is anything sinister - as I am leaving my company to work for a major client of ours - and be in the position to hire them, so it would odd for them to do anything to disrupt my application. Everything so far has been very positive.

Can't wait to start PERM later this year and eventually become a GCH. I feel like most Americans have no idea the lengths we go through to live here.

ian-mstm Mar 19th 2015 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by VenturaBlvd (Post 11597033)
I feel like most Americans have no idea the lengths we go through to live here.

You are absolutely correct.

Ian

BostonBrit Expat Since 03 Mar 19th 2015 11:10 pm

How would they know you are leaving?..., note to all......NEVER tell an employer anything.

I xferred numerous H1B visas and never wanted to take the risk, any reason you did, e.g. what happens if this falls through and your stuck there

my 2cents and curious!

VenturaBlvd Mar 19th 2015 11:24 pm

I have a bit of a unique situation based on the nature of the industry I work in - if I was leaving for a competitor I certainly would not have told them, but I am moving from a marketing agency to a major motion picture studio who is currently a client of ours, so ultimately I am becoming a client for my current employer.

Also, my current employer also knows my new employer very well, both professionally and personally, so it would have been silly not to have let them know as they would have found out either way.