Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

H1B Quota 2013 - Any way to find out?

H1B Quota 2013 - Any way to find out?

Old Apr 5th 2013, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

navman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1B Quota 2013 - Any way to find out?

One of my prospective employers will be applying for a H1B Visa for me and I have been taking my time to choose which offer to take.

I have today been advised that the Visa quota may fill-up much faster this year, is there any way to check with USCIS or anywhere else?

I have been basing my timelines on last year and how it filled up in June 2012 so I assumed i had some more time than the 4 days that have passed so far.

Also by filing an LCA is it enough to start the process and get a slot from the quota or does the form I-129 have to be inlcuded at the same time as the initial time of the application to start the official process?

Also I understand that only applications can only be charged if they can meet the quota and if it has been not oversubscribed.

I thought I had until the end of the month to research all of this but it looks like it may be more pressing

All help is greatly appreciated
Old Apr 5th 2013, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1B Quota 2013 - Any way to find out?

Originally Posted by navman
One of my prospective employers will be applying for a H1B Visa for me and I have been taking my time to choose which offer to take.

I have today been advised that the Visa quota may fill-up much faster this year, is there any way to check with USCIS or anywhere else?

I have been basing my timelines on last year and how it filled up in June 2012 so I assumed i had some more time than the 4 days that have passed so far.

Also by filing an LCA is it enough to start the process and get a slot from the quota or does the form I-129 have to be inlcuded at the same time as the initial time of the application to start the official process?

Also I understand that only applications can only be charged if they can meet the quota and if it has been not oversubscribed.

I thought I had until the end of the month to research all of this but it looks like it may be more pressing

All help is greatly appreciated
Prior to the great recession, H-1B visas were oversubscribed on the day that applications were allowed (April 1). The next couple of years, the visas weren't used until December. Last year the visas were used by June.

There is a visa bulletin published telling the number of visas remaining but I don't have that link but you can probably search this forum to find it. However by the time the bulletin comes out, all the visas could possibly be gone.

Last edited by Michael; Apr 5th 2013 at 12:49 am.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by navman

I haven't seen any official numbers yet and don't expect to see them until the start of next week, but I did hear a news report a few days ago suggesting that the FY2014 cap might be reached within a few days.

You can check the USCIS web site here.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
I haven't seen any official numbers yet and don't expect to see them until the start of next week, but I did hear a news report a few days ago suggesting that the FY2014 cap might be reached within a few days.

You can check the USCIS web site here.
There it is.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

I have found the website with information, I guess we should expect an update on Monday from USCIS

I see no information on the web-site regarding the cap being filled.

ALso does filing an LCA start the process and this application starts the process if within the quota limit and then allow for a I-129 to be filled later.

I want to know that by filing an LCA is enough to get a slot and start the process or is a slot from the quota only given if accompanied with an I-129?

Last edited by navman; Apr 5th 2013 at 1:50 am.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

The latter - the date that matters is when USCIS receives the I-129.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

My employer filed my H-1B on the first day - our employers attorney said that there is going to be a lottery - they are expecting to reach quota within a week.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

canarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud of

Company has just applied for my partner's H1B, we have been advised that it's highly likely that they will have to do a lottery. We find out on Monday.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

I belevie that is what the talk is due to the number of applications that came flooding in last Friday and this Monday hence the announcement from USCIS
Old Apr 5th 2013, 2:25 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

"Demand always outstrips supply, but for the past couple of years, it has taken at least a few months to hit the quota. But this year, the H-1B visas might be gone by the end of the week.

Kramer Levin, just one big immigration firm in New York City, is having a record year with these visa applications. "

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/...omic-indicator

Regards, JEff
Old Apr 5th 2013, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

Rumor has it, the FY2014 cap was reached on Monday itself. However, the lottery would include all petitions filed during the first five days.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...?taxonomyId=70
Old Apr 5th 2013, 8:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

And it's full, according to USCIS, they tweeted it :/
Old Apr 5th 2013, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
And it's full, according to USCIS, they tweeted it :/
It isn't on their facebook page yet ...
Old Apr 5th 2013, 9:36 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Well! If it isn't on Facebook then it can't be for real!

USCIS did send out an e-mail announcing the notice posted on their own web site.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by md95065
It isn't on their facebook page yet ...
Old Apr 5th 2013, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

This is on the USCIS website So it is going to a lottery. I hope everyone on here who has applied gets through