H1B question

Old Nov 22nd 2015, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Ricky_85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1B question

Hi everyone,
I would like to know, based on your knowledge, if the executive power can put a moratorium (stop) on the issuance of some visas (ex. H1B) and/or modify some requirement to get said visas via executive orders or if only the legislative power (congress) has this ability.

Thank you very much!
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 4:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: H1B question

Yes, they have in similar areas.
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ricky_85
I would like to know, based on your knowledge, if the executive power can put a moratorium (stop) on the issuance of some visas (ex. H1B) and/or modify some requirement to get said visas via executive orders or if only the legislative power (congress) has this ability.
As leading a question as ever I've ever heard.

Ian
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

?

Sorry, actually I don't understand either answers... 'Yes they have' you mean both the president and congress right?

Last edited by Ricky_85; Nov 23rd 2015 at 6:40 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 10:17 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Only the President can issue executive orders, so the answer to your question is that the President can. The legislator (as if sounds) has to legislate on the issue.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 7:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Would you care to give us some context or explanation as to why you are asking?
Old Nov 24th 2015, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Would you care to give us some context or explanation as to why you are asking?
It wouldn't be the first time someone asked a nebulous open-ended question asking for a specific response.

Ian
Old Nov 24th 2015, 9:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It wouldn't be the first time someone asked a nebulous open-ended question asking for a specific response. ....
I'm gonna make a wild guess that it won't be the last time either.
Old Nov 26th 2015, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Well, since last time around, even mentioning the word 'politics' entailed that my thread was moved to another section, I don't think I can give a political contest in this thread, right? ;-)

Anyway, via executive order, can a future presidentent limit, decrease or stop the issuance of particular non-immigrant or immigrant visas? How limiting is the use of an ex. order instead of passing thru congress?

Thanks!
Old Nov 26th 2015, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

Since when are God's limited by mortal laws?
Old Nov 26th 2015, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Since there is a separation of powers... since 1776...
but my thread was asking more in the specific, and not about theology;-)
Old Nov 26th 2015, 1:02 pm
Account Closed

Things change.
Old Nov 26th 2015, 1:21 pm

An executive order only lasts as long as the President issuing it, and even then he can change his mind at any time. Also the incoming President can reaffirm it.
Old Nov 26th 2015, 2:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ricky_85
Anyway, via executive order, can a future presidentent limit, decrease or stop the issuance of particular non-immigrant or immigrant visas?
Yes - a future President can overturn a previous President's executive order.

How limiting is the use of an ex. order instead of passing thru congress?
Executive orders are a fully legal exercise of Presidential powers. They are limited only by the term of the President. By the way, Congress may make laws, but the President still has to approve them... or veto them. It's the President's choice.

I trust that my Canadian friends will get the intentional pun!

Ian
Old Nov 27th 2015, 12:26 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
By the way, Congress may make laws, but the President still has to approve them... or veto them. It's the President's choice.
And then of course that veto can be overridden by a 2/3rds majority vote in the house (67 in the Senate, assuming 100 votes)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.