H1B processing times

Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

mikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to behold
Default H1B processing times

I was hoping someone might have some recent experience they could share to give me a bit of guidance. My wife is transferring from a J1 to H1B (me from the J2 to the H4 - worst case scenario for me, but that's another matter...), and I wondered if anyone had any recent experiences of the processing times for H1B's (from application to approval)?

I am guessing that it largely depends on whether there are any issues with the application, the service center, time of year etc. For the purposes of my question, the application is being made by her employer (University of California), will be submitted in the next week or two, and we can only hope that there are no complications...

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:00 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1B processing times

Originally Posted by mikec81
I was hoping someone might have some recent experience they could share to give me a bit of guidance. My wife is transferring from a J1 to H1B (me from the J2 to the H4 - worst case scenario for me, but that's another matter...), and I wondered if anyone had any recent experiences of the processing times for H1B's (from application to approval)?

I am guessing that it largely depends on whether there are any issues with the application, the service center, time of year etc. For the purposes of my question, the application is being made by her employer (University of California), will be submitted in the next week or two, and we can only hope that there are no complications...

Thanks in advance.
You don't say which UC -- but generally speaking, the people at UC who handle the stuff know what they are doing and will be happy to answer your questions. BTW, CIS knows WHO at UC's are allowed to do these.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

mikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
You don't say which UC -- but generally speaking, the people at UC who handle the stuff know what they are doing and will be happy to answer your questions. BTW, CIS knows WHO at UC's are allowed to do these.
I have spoken with the rep on campus and he said that he generally advises that the processing time is somewhere between 3 and 6 months. I was hoping that someone here might have some recent, first hand experience of a similar situation and be able to give a more definite timeframe.

My impatience/concern is due to the fact that as soon as the H is approved, my J is invalid and my working days are over for the foreseeable future...
Old Feb 11th 2011, 2:22 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

One person's 3 months is another's 3 years. Enjoy your work authorization while you have it. And maybe start looking for an H visa of your own if you can.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 9:27 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikec81
I have spoken with the rep on campus and he said that he generally advises that the processing time is somewhere between 3 and 6 months. I was hoping that someone here might have some recent, first hand experience of a similar situation and be able to give a more definite timeframe.

My impatience/concern is due to the fact that as soon as the H is approved, my J is invalid and my working days are over for the foreseeable future...
You may want to consult with an attorney knowledgeable in these issues.