Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

H1B: Premium vs Regular difference? (OOC)

H1B: Premium vs Regular difference? (OOC)

Old Sep 23rd 2011, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Leo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really nice
Default H1B: Premium vs Regular difference? (OOC)

Hey folks,

I've started the H1B process (with premium processing) yay

Just out of curiosity - what's the (rough) difference between the premium vs regular processing times? I read recently (on here) that currently the H1B times with premium processing are clocking in around 7 weeks or something...

thanks!
Leo
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 3:26 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1B: Premium vs Regular difference? (OOC)

Originally Posted by Leo_Loves
Hey folks,

I've started the H1B process (with premium processing) yay

Just out of curiosity - what's the (rough) difference between the premium vs regular processing times? I read recently (on here) that currently the H1B times with premium processing are clocking in around 7 weeks or something...

thanks!
Leo
ROFL. As a matter of general information, a "week" is considered to be a seven day period. Premium processing is a money back guarantee of processing within 15 days.

Old Sep 23rd 2011, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Leo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really nice

but that's only part of the entire process though, right? Like I'll also have an embassy interview, for example?
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

but that's only part of the entire process though, right? Like I'll also have an embassy interview, for example?
Yeah, but that bit's usually the quick part. Current wait times in London.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

wow.

I sent scans of my degree certificate, degree transcript, resume (c.v.) & passport today along with a questionnaire about my job description, location, salary etc out there so I think the attorney's will be using all of that to start my pettition within the next couple of days. If they do, does that mean that in two weeks from, say, Monday 26th September (Monday 10th October), I could potentially already be looking at the embassy appointment / approval stage?

If so, that is very, very exciting!
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

I sent scans of my degree certificate, degree transcript, resume (c.v.) & passport today along with a questionnaire about my job description, location, salary etc out there so I think the attorney's will be using all of that to start my pettition within the next couple of days. If they do, does that mean that in two weeks from, say, Monday 26th September (Monday 10th October), I could potentially already be looking at the embassy appointment / approval stage?

At the risk of sounding melodramatic, there is always a chance for everything to go horribly wrong. They can deny the petition. Technically, they can take as long as they like to process it as long as they refund your employer the money (although they don't like to do this, for obvious reasons). They can respond within the 15 days with an RFE, which then makes things take longer. An approved petition is no guarantee that a visa will be granted. A visa application can, as it says in the link above, disappear into administrative processing for an essentially unbounded length of time. A visa in your passport is no guarantee of entry to the US. Etc.

Having said all that, I (and many others here) never had any problems at all, and hopefully you won't either. But for God's sake don't make any travel plans yet.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

wow.

Technically, yes, as the previous post said. If they process your application and there is no problems as stated, requests for evidence, then you have to schedule your appointment at the Embassy, wait time is 4 days at the moment for an appointment (if I've read the link right - I can be a bit dippy - no comments please ) and when you have your interview, it's straightforward, then you are basically good to go. Just take it as it comes and see what happens. Fingers crossed for you that it all goes smoothly

Last edited by Brat1; Sep 23rd 2011 at 5:54 pm. Reason: Spelling!!!
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

wow.

We fell into that trap, only to discover it took weeks for all the info from the company such as Labor cert etc to be sorted!

Once my husbands was 'received' it was showing as approved within a week online. It then took a week for the attorney to receive the docs which they then emailed to us, then we made the appt with the Embassy which was for 2 days after that

HTH

Vicki
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info and kind words, folks!

Fear not, I'm not expecting to have a visa in my passport 4 weeks from now - I know that even a seemingly perfect application can get delayed, have a RFE or disappear into the mystery papermill

I'm not going to hand my notice in at work or book flights until I have my visa stamped passport in hand. I'll then have circa 4 weeks to get my stuff in order! Although I'm trying to start researching and preempting some things e.g. informing student loans company, 1 year early termination of phone contract, finding a decent international removals company, selling some things etc etc etc
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Ha. I've just realised there's been a very subtle thread de-rail here - I still dont know the answer to the question!

So, theoretically, premium processing could be:
Day 1: Petition submitted
Day 15: Petition approved, Embassy called for appointment.
Day 19: Appointment attended, visa approved, passport submitted.
Day 20 - 29: Visa stamped passport received.

Obviously anybody would be pretty lucky to get that timeline but it's theoretically possible. What does a regular, non-premium timeline look like?
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Premium processing could also be:
Day 14: RFE sent.
Day 19: RFE received.
Day 23: RFE response sent.
Day 28: RFE response received, 15 days starts again.
Day 43: Petition approved, Embassy called for appointment.
Day 48: Appointment attended, visa approved, passport submitted.
Day 50-60: Visa stamped passport received.

... and that's if the RFE is simple. If it's complicated, it'll take longer to gather information and submit it.

What does a regular, non-premium timeline look like?
Day 15-120: Petition approved, Embassy called for appointment.
Day 20-150: Appointment attended, visa approved, passport submitted.
Day 25-180: Visa stamped passport received.

So... much the same, but slower!

Ian
Old Sep 24th 2011, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Ha. I've just realised there's been a very subtle thread de-rail here - I still dont know the answer to the question!

Day 15: Petition approved, Embassy called for appointment.
Day 19: Appointment attended, visa approved, passport submitted.
Day 20 - 29: Visa stamped passport received.

Obviously anybody would be pretty lucky to get that timeline but it's theoretically possible. What does a regular, non-premium timeline look like?
Don't forget to take into account the time it takes to receive the petition once sent from the attorney as this can take a few days, day 1 should be the day the petition is received by USCIS if that makes sense.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

richardi734 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well Leo_Loves I am too going for my H1-B and hope my company starts the ball rolling on Monday after a month of them doing nothing. Emailing the owner of the company seemed to have worked and now HR dept. have asked for e-copy of resume and certificates etc.

Then I have to hand notice in at current employer but I hope to be moving early next year all going well, I would like to be there earlier. I have been working out for the US company for 5 weeks this year, salary paid for by current employer.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

RayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud of

My H1b went as follows:
  • 2 weeks to get all info together for submission.
  • 2 weeks to DoL certificate.
  • Petition submitted 7th April with Premium Processing
  • RFE received 15th April. This was quite complex , partly because I'll be based from home.
  • Response submitted around May 20th.
  • Petition approved June 2nd

I didn't go for the interview for a while (July 26th) as I was working in Switzerland.

There is a view that Premium Processing is more likely to attract a RFE as it gives USCIS more time to consider the petition. I haven't seen any data to back this up though. Also remember that it's 15 calendar days and the clock starts again if you do get a RFE.
I'm now in the US and start work on Oct 3rd.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Thanks folks!

I'm not actually sure the official date that the clock starts running on mine... On Friday, I sent my new employer: A filled out questionnaire of things like have I ever been deported, what my new job description & responsibilities are, address for Visa correspondance etc and with that I sent my resume, a scan of my degree certificate, degree transcript and passport. These are all now being forwarded to the immigration attorneys although I'm not sure at what point they'll actually have the petition ready and file it... I'd imagine it will be this week as I am under the impression that my company want me sooner rather than later (they've been pretty quick at getting the ball rolling thus far and have said they're going the premium processing route)...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.