Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

H1B - Police Background Check Paperwork

H1B - Police Background Check Paperwork

Old Aug 12th 2013, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Buzzinabout is an unknown quantity at this point
Question H1B - Police Background Check Paperwork

Hi Guys, just wondering if I have to show any character references or Police Background Check paperwork at the US Embassy for a H1B visa interview.

TY.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1B - Police Background Check Paperwork

My husband didn't have to have a background/police check when he had his H1b visa application processed or interview.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 8:39 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
My husband didn't have to have a background/police check when he had his H1b visa application processed or interview.
Seriously? Not even an ACRO report? I didn't know that, and it surprises me.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Seriously? Not even an ACRO report? I didn't know that, and it surprises me.
Nope not as far as I'm aware. He would probably have asked me about it as I had contacts in the police through my work. All he had to show was proff of identity & qualifications. Not a lot of information really.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Only if you have a criminal record.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 1:37 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by henryh
Only if you have a criminal record.
Just to be clear: you can still be required to obtain an ACRO Police Certificate for US immigration purposes and have NO criminal 'record'.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

For non-immigrant visas*, they generally only want police reports if you have a crimnal record (answered yes to this question on the DS-160) . If they suspect something after running your name through the various background checks they may still want a report.
*Except K-1, which is nonimmigrant but processed using the immigrant visa procedures.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:47 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jxv73
For non-immigrant visas*, they generally only want police reports if you have a crimnal record (answered yes to this question on the DS-160)
Sorry, but this is just plainly false. Being arrested or charged with a criminal offence that does not result in a criminal conviction does NOT mean you have a 'criminal record' according to UK law.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

What I was trying to say was, you do not need to bring in a police report for a non-immigrant visa interview, unless you answered yes to one of the questions in the "security and background information" section of the DS-160asking about crimes and offenses.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:28 pm
Banned

Don't worry, I know what you meant, I just want people who read that advice to think that they have a 'criminal record' simply by virtue of having answered 'yes' to the relevant question on the DS-160.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jxv73
What I was trying to say was, you do not need to bring in a police report for a non-immigrant visa interview, unless you answered yes to one of the questions in the "security and background information" section of the DS-160asking about crimes and offenses.
So I guess that means I will then?? As I was arrested and released without charge (no convictions) last year.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Buzzinabout
So I guess that means I will then?? As I was arrested and released without charge (no convictions) last year.
Correct. You MUST answer yes to this question, regardless of the outcome of the arrest.

Secondly, you should obtain a copy of your ACRO Police Certificate and request a SAR (Subject Access Request) against your name from the local police force who dealt with you.

The ACRO certificate is required by the USC, the SAR is not. However, it is worthwhile to obtain the SAR for two reasons:

1. What you think may exist on the police database, may not actually be what does. This gives you the chance to correct any wrong information held about you.

2. Obtaining a SAR shows due diligence to the CO that you have obtained all papers relating to the arrest. IF there is a record of your arrest, then it should reflect that no further action was taken.

Good luck, you'll be fine.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Just taking a look here:

http://acro.police.uk/uploadedFiles/...ust%202013.pdf

It seems record of arrest isn't listed! Where do I get the application form from, do local police stations have it? I was arrested many miles from my home location.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:10 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Just taking a look here:

It seems record of arrest isn't listed! Where do I get the application form from, do local police stations have it? I was arrested many miles from my home location.
You have to apply for SAR's direct with the police service involved. Have you thought of using Google to search for the information?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:13 pm
Banned

Just taking a look here:

http://bit.ly/122BRdZ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.