H1B Interview - What Documents

Old Oct 24th 2011, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

simon_pieman is just really nicesimon_pieman is just really nicesimon_pieman is just really nicesimon_pieman is just really nicesimon_pieman is just really nicesimon_pieman is just really nicesimon_pieman is just really nicesimon_pieman is just really nice
Default H1B Interview - What Documents

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times (as I'm sure it has) - I did try to search, but got all sorts of seemingly unrelated stuff back.

I have my H1B interview at the US embassy in London on Friday. Just wondering what documentation I will need to take with me? Apart from the obvious stuff like the I-797, interview appointment letter, passport, what else do I need to take. I keep reading horror stories about people being asked for wedding photos, birth certificates, bank statements, etc...

Isn't there a definitive list somewhere which says that for visa H1B, here is a list of what you need to take? Also, how many passport photos do I need to take - I believe it's one 2x2 for each family member, but then I've also read that they need 2 per person.

I'm British, always lived in the UK, work for a large American firm, who've sponsored my H1B application, and I've booked the interview with Benmar (anyone ever used them by the way?)

Many Thanks
Simon
Old Oct 24th 2011, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1B Interview - What Documents

When we had our H1b/H4 interviews in 2009 we took:
I-797
OH University Diploma & transcripts
Marriage Certificate
Birth Certificates (for all 4 of us)
4 photos of all of us as that is what we got at Snappy Snaps when we had them done!
Passports
Interview letter
DS-160 (this was prior to the online version)
And a book to read.
Now ask what they actually looked at! Passports, photos, I-797 and DS-160. I prefer to take too much rather than not enough but I seriously doubt they would want to look at bank statements or marriage photos so don't worry about taking them.

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...entletter.html

Just remember you cannot take cell phones or car keys with an electronic fob on them.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

simon_pieman is just really nicesimon_pieman is just really nicesimon_pieman is just really nicesimon_pieman is just really nicesimon_pieman is just really nicesimon_pieman is just really nicesimon_pieman is just really nicesimon_pieman is just really nice

That's perfect - exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Sarah!
Old Oct 24th 2011, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by simon_pieman
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times (as I'm sure it has) - I did try to search, but got all sorts of seemingly unrelated stuff back.

I have my H1B interview at the US embassy in London on Friday. Just wondering what documentation I will need to take with me? Apart from the obvious stuff like the I-797, interview appointment letter, passport, what else do I need to take. I keep reading horror stories about people being asked for wedding photos, birth certificates, bank statements, etc...

Isn't there a definitive list somewhere which says that for visa H1B, here is a list of what you need to take? Also, how many passport photos do I need to take - I believe it's one 2x2 for each family member, but then I've also read that they need 2 per person.

I'm British, always lived in the UK, work for a large American firm, who've sponsored my H1B application, and I've booked the interview with Benmar (anyone ever used them by the way?)

Many Thanks
Simon
My husband and I had ours in August, we filled in the DS-160 online and uploaded photos so didn't need to take any with us. We just took the items stated on the Embassy website, it was hardly anything but sufficient as we are here in the US now

I believe the additional items are for other visas, such as marriage ones etc.

Interview with Bemnar?! never heard of them?! who are they and why would you need an interview with them?! (being nosey now )

Vicki
Old Oct 24th 2011, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

RayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud of

Agree with Vicki, you only need the things you know about. No need for anything else.
Don't forget that you can't take any electronic devices with you, that's includes car entry key fob devices.
I've not heard of Benmar either.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simon_pieman
These guys? The only people you should be intervied by is the US Consulate in London. Everyone else is irrelevant... and you should never use any sort of visa agency.

Ian
Old Oct 24th 2011, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys - my interview is with the embassy, not Benmar, but the firm I work for (who do literally hundreds of relocations a year) told me to book my interview through Benmar. Not really sure why, but I figure our relocation department know what they're doing! The interview is at 9.30 Friday at the embassy.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 1:16 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
These guys? The only people you should be intervied by is the US Consulate in London. Everyone else is irrelevant... and you should never use any sort of visa agency.

Ian
Ian,

Out of curiosity, I drilled a little deeper -- it seems that they conduct what are valid functions traditionally handled by legitimate travel agencies. That said, there is a problem with business overstepping the bounds of what travel agencies would do in the past. And in this computerized age, the traditional travel agency is becoming a thing of the past.