H1B interview.....formality?

Old May 8th 2014, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Phyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond repute
Default H1B interview.....formality?

I have today received notification that my H1B petition was approved.

My question is regarding the next stages and chances of being 'rejected' at this point of the process. I am currently working and gradually getting more and more tasks to complete, including some relatively high profile tasks with major customers. I want to be fair to my current employer, but at the same time don't want to resign only for things to fall apart.

How did others approach this aspect?
Old May 8th 2014, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1B interview.....formality?

No visa interview is a formality, the chances of rejection depend on you, the employer, the job and the application so its impossible to say. However, assuming its not a cap exempt job you wont be able to start until October anyway so you will have plenty of time to wrap things up with your current employer. Basically though, don't do anything until you have a visa in your passport and your passport in your hand.
Old May 8th 2014, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
No visa interview is a formality, the chances of rejection depend on you, the employer, the job and the application so its impossible to say. However, assuming its not a cap exempt job you wont be able to start until October anyway so you will have plenty of time to wrap things up with your current employer. Basically though, don't do anything until you have a visa in your passport and your passport in your hand.
Yup... agree 100%.

Ian
Old May 8th 2014, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Phyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the information.

I am not due to start the new post until 6th Oct so it's not a rush to leave, more a desire to not take on new long term tasks.
Old May 8th 2014, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

If you have no criminal record of any kind and no prior immigration complications, for practical purposes you can treat it as a formality.

My H-1B interview in London took 3 minutes. I was asked two questions: Who will you be working for? What will you be doing? Stamp/scribble/stamp, you're approved.
Old May 8th 2014, 9:51 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Of course the interview is a "formality." A substantive formality though. [i.e. it is not "just" a formality.].

BTW, when does OP's petition validity start? October 1st?
Old May 9th 2014, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S Folinsky

BTW, when does OP's petition validity start? October 1st?
Yes October 1st
Old Jul 10th 2014, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Just completed my interview in Copenhagen today. (I am currently living in Denmark) It is now approved. In and out in 30 minutes!

Finally I am confident to give notice to my current employer, which means I can wrap up my existing projects and clear the path for the big move. The family have been waiting for the day when we could go public and have already bombarded Facebook with the news.

Everything appears to be coming together for the move, the new employer has been really helpful (using Cartus for the relocation). Although my to-do list keeps growing!

Thanks to BE for the advice so far.......
Old Jul 10th 2014, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phyzz
Just completed my interview in Copenhagen today. (I am currently living in Denmark) It is now approved.
Congratulations! Well done.

Ian
Old Jul 10th 2014, 1:31 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phyzz
Just completed my interview in Copenhagen today. (I am currently living in Denmark) It is now approved. In and out in 30 minutes!

Finally I am confident to give notice to my current employer, which means I can wrap up my existing projects and clear the path for the big move. The family have been waiting for the day when we could go public and have already bombarded Facebook with the news.
Keeping quiet about it can be so difficult. We were finally able to go fully public last week as we had to give notice to our employees before telling the world! Hope all goes smoothly for the rest of the process for you all.