from H1B to green card?

Old May 28th 2004, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

ireland132 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default from H1B to green card?

I am currently working in the US on an H1B visa. I am 8 months in on a 3 year visa. My wife is on a H4 and cannot work.

We've just had our first child in the US (who is therefore an American citizen) and are starting to think long term about staying here.

My work seems to be going well and I would be hopeful of staying with this employer for a number of years.

What should our next moves be, especially as we will probably want to buy a place here too.

a) Apply for an extension of H1B?

b) Go for a green card?

also

c) How could my wife's status be changed?

With (a) and (b) I would like to work these costs in to my annual contract/salary negotiation with my current employer.

All advice gratefully welcomed.

Thanks.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

LHR_PDX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: from H1B to green card?

Originally posted by ireland132
I am currently working in the US on an H1B visa. I am 8 months in on a 3 year visa. My wife is on a H4 and cannot work.

We've just had our first child in the US (who is therefore an American citizen) and are starting to think long term about staying here.

My work seems to be going well and I would be hopeful of staying with this employer for a number of years.

What should our next moves be, especially as we will probably want to buy a place here too.

b) Go for a green card?

also

With (a) and (b) I would like to work these costs in to my annual contract/salary negotiation with my current employer.

Thanks.
Simple. Start the GC process. Renew H1B's until it is done. So long as the GC is in process at least a year before your final 6year H1B term limit you'll be able to stay renewing 1 year h1b extensions until it is done. (so long as you are employed).
Old Jun 7th 2004, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Manish is just really niceManish is just really niceManish is just really niceManish is just really niceManish is just really niceManish is just really niceManish is just really niceManish is just really nice
Default Re: from H1B to green card?

Originally posted by ireland132

------- Get 5-6 copies of Baby birth certificate from state Vital recordsandSSN ( BC you will need for Baby passportand schooling to)seems to be going well and I would be hopeful of staying with this employer for a number of years.

------ Apply always H1 extension 6 months advace for you before your I-94 expires
b) Go for a green card?
---- request employer to file your Labor certification(LC) ASAP
also

----- IF she has degree and want to work she can Change from H4 to H1 status and can work

---- LC for you has to be filed by employer lawyer after LC approval then I-140 fees is alsdo to be filed by lawyer, for last stage of GC the I-485 for you and your spouse you have to pay the fees ( two I-485 and EAD wor work and AP for travel the lawyer + USCIS fees may be about 2000 at this time)
*** File LC ASAP after that gets approved then employer filed I-140 and you both will file I-485 , EAD AP)

** most Imp is LC filing and that is first step for GC file ASAP

Thanks.