H1B or GC via parents?

Old May 26th 2001, 8:40 am
Dave

X-No-archive: yes

Hello all!

I need some advice concerning my H1-B visa. I'm an electrical engineer and currently
working in a Telco company and intend to move to the states with a H1-B visa.

Meanwhile my parents have got also greencards via my brother, who lives in Chicago
for a long time and is us citizen. Now comes the tough situation: does it have any
disadvantages for me (and my plan to work in the states in the near future <6 months)
if my parents sponsor me for a greencard? How long can it take? Can they do that at
all (I mean w/o being citizens)? Do I have to avoid entering the US during this
process, initiated by my parents? Or is it better to enter the US as a skilled worker
(H1-B) and then let them apply for a greencard? As I understood, my brother can also
sponsor me for a GC but it can take a long time (>10 years).

I do appreciate your answers. I admit; I'm a novice when it comes to immigration and
visas. If it's important: I'm german.

Thanks.

Dave

Old May 27th 2001, 3:32 am
Ed MacNeil

Hi Dave,

THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED TO BE LEGAL ADVICE. I AM NOT A LAWYER. I DON'T EVEN PLAY
ONE ON TV!

Permanent residents can sponsor only UNMARRIED adult sons and daughters.

If you are unmarried you would become a preference 2B immigrant. Currently those
whose preference 2B petitions were filed on or before June 1993 are being processed
for admission, except for citizens of Mexico which is earlier.

Should your parents become naturalized citizens and you remain unmarried, you would
become a preference 1 immigrant. Those which were filed on or before March 1999 are
being processed for admission, except for citizens of Mexico and the Philippines
which are earlier.

If you are, or should become, married you would become a 3rd preference immigrant.
Those filed on or before May 1996 are currently being processed.

For additional information on the US preference system and priority dates see the
Visa Bulletin at <http://travel.state.gov/visa_bulletin.html>.

Ed MacNeil Ancient Aviator North Hampton, NH, USA

Dave wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >