Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

H1B Extension Visa Stamping in Canada(first time getting stamped in canada)

H1B Extension Visa Stamping in Canada(first time getting stamped in canada)

Old Oct 15th 2019, 10:35 am
Just Joined

chandu27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1B Extension Visa Stamping in Canada(first time getting stamped in canada)

I am planning to get my H1B Extension Visa Stamping in Canada. I am pretty sure visa stamping process will go smooth.

I have a question if in case for some reason (not expecting this but understanding the process) H1B extension visa stamping taking longer than expected(Administrative processing,etc.) than can I travel into US with my British passport during my H1B visa stamping process is in progress?

British citizens are allowed to travel in US for 90 days right. So can I enter into US during the H1B extension visa administrative processing period and when the US Consulate in canada administrative processing is complete than I will go to US Consulate Canada and will hand over my passport for H1B visa stamping.

Any good info on this query will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by chandu27; Oct 15th 2019 at 10:38 am. Reason: typo
Old Oct 15th 2019, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1B Extension Visa Stamping in Canada(first time getting stamped in canada)

Originally Posted by chandu27
British citizens are allowed to travel in US for 90 days right. So can I enter into US during the H1B extension visa administrative processing period and when the US Consulate in canada administrative processing is complete than I will go to US Consulate Canada and will hand over my passport for H1B visa stamping.
If you mean you plan to enter using an ESTA then you will be in B1/B2 status for the duration of that admission, which won't be work authorized.

What will you be intending on doing during that stay?
Old Oct 15th 2019, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: H1B Extension Visa Stamping in Canada(first time getting stamped in canada)

Yes . As you mentioned planning to use ESTA(90 Day Period).

Only me going for visa stamping and my spouse and kid are in USA . So instead of me just staying in canada planning to join my family in USA and stay away from work until my stamping process is completes by US Consulate canada. Will resume work once I get my H1b stamping done.

My question is can I travel to USA from canada if my H1B extension visa stamping process is delayed for some reason in canda?
Old Oct 15th 2019, 2:03 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

If the Officer allows you in, sure. If they will or not is an open question. Seems like attempting to live in the US without a visa to do so to me, you are supposed to maintain a home abroad as part of the VWP conditions.

In my laymens opinion it's pretty risky.
Old Oct 15th 2019, 4:56 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Only me going for visa stamping and my spouse and kid are in USA . So instead of me just staying in canada planning to join my family in USA and stay away from work until my stamping process is completes by US Consulate canada. Will resume work once I get my H1b stamping done.
Aren't the family members' visas tied to yours -- don't they have to leave the country with you to get updated?
Old Oct 15th 2019, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

If you do it 'in country' instead of flagpolling, can you not continue working up to 240 days while it's pending?
Old Oct 15th 2019, 7:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I want to know if you already have a valid ESTA or if you in need of applying for one. If you have to apply for one, where do you plan to apply for it? From the US or from Canada? How do you know it will be approved? As the US Consulate will have your passport and you don't have a green card even with an ESTA how do you propose to get through the border?
Old Oct 16th 2019, 12:21 am
Just Joined

At US/Canada border they will let me in to USA (my guess) because the VWP should let a british citizen in to the US for 90days and the new I94 they issue at the US/Canada border will be on B1/B2 which is not allowed to work.
So I won't work until my H1B stamping process is complete from US Consulate in canada. Once the H1B extension stamping process is complete I will travel into the US using my H1B visa extension and I can resume work.

The question here is when my H1B extension visa process is in progress can I enter the USA using VWP?
Old Oct 16th 2019, 1:58 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

At US/Canada border they will let me in to USA (my guess) because the VWP should let a british citizen in to the US for 90days and the new I94 they issue at the US/Canada border will be on B1/B2 which is not allowed to work.
So I won't work until my H1B stamping process is complete from US Consulate in canada. Once the H1B extension stamping process is complete I will travel into the US using my H1B visa extension and I can resume work.

The question here is when my H1B extension visa process is in progress can I enter the USA using VWP?
A Brit can NOT use the VWP without first getting an approved ESTA. Do you have the B1/B2 already? They are visas and not given at the POE but must be applied for at the US Consulate/Embassy and issued by them. Plus you cannot enter the US without a passport. Not even a US Citizen can any longer.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 16th 2019 at 2:00 am.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 2:00 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Unless something changed I don’t think you need an ESTA if your crossing at the land border with Canada, not sure about if your flying. Remember there are other requirements for VW, like proof of return/onward travel.

I am not sure it is clear what you are looking to do, if you approved for the new / extension on H1b already and go to the embassy, if they approve you they will take your passport to put the visa in, do you can’t return because you will need your passport to try and enter on VW. Or are you taking about filling for an H1b extension at the embassy, and then coming back for up to 90 day, and then if it’s approved going back, to give them your passport and then waiting there till you can collect the passport with new visa / have it sent to your hotel?
Old Oct 16th 2019, 2:47 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

An obvious question is whether you even need to do this. Assuming all your H-1B paperwork is in order, you only need a visa to enter the country, not to stay.

Also it sounds like you are talking about re-entering the US on your British passport while leaving a different passport at the embassy. Is that correct?

Last edited by AdobePinon; Oct 16th 2019 at 2:49 am.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
Or are you taking about filling for an H1b extension at the embassy, and then coming back for up to 90 day, and then if it’s approved going back, to give them your passport and then waiting there till you can collect the passport with new visa / have it sent to your hotel?
That was my take - it sounds like he needs to obtain a new visa foil rather than just an extension of status, and he wishes to re-enter the US (using an ESTA) on a second passport whilst his primary one is with the US Embassy for processing.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 11:24 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

From previous posts it’s seems like the OP became a UKC in 2015, but at that point he said he had to give up his Indian citizenship within 3 years, so it can’t be that passport as it’s now 4 years, and it’s unlikely he could have acquired another Citizenship in such a short time. He could easily have a second UK passport if he travel frequently or to certain ME countries, I had a second UK passport while my L1 was being stamped and was traveling while the embassy had it. I was in New Zealand for a few days so I did not try to enter the US in that period.
Old Oct 17th 2019, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Without a visa, only Canadian nationals can be issued B1/B2 status at border. British citizens that are eligible for WVP (and usually require ESTA for air passage) can get WB/WT status.

But - if this is an extension, why isn't your company filing an I-129?

Last edited by neill; Oct 17th 2019 at 1:25 am.