H1b BA/Msc question

Old Oct 13th 2013, 4:36 am
Just Joined

lonestarbrah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1b BA/Msc question

Hi guys, been looking at this forum for a while and finally am creating an account. Got a quick question about H1B visas which wasn't ever answered in this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...79#post9654779

I am basically in the exact same situation. I have a BA in History and Politics from a UK university. I am considering an MSc in IT.

Would I be eligible for a h1b visa in an IT position?

Like the user S Folinsky mentions in that other thread, the first 2 years of a US bachelors are 'general studies'. So could that be equivalent to my degree? And with my MSc on top of that, would I then be eligible for a h1b visa in an IT field?
Old Oct 13th 2013, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1b BA/Msc question

Since US degrees have a lot of prerequisites that don't pertain to the major, I don't see a problem with two different degrees since a MSc and 4 years total of university should fulfill the basic requirement.

The biggest issue will likely be finding a sponsor especially if you don't have any experience.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

lonestarbrah is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply. Anyone else? It's a very difficult question to find the answer to online, because it's not very common in other countries that 'conversion courses' exist, where it's possible to change academic field from bachelors to masters.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

monfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud of

I would imagine you would be fine. a 4 year degree is all they care about. It's mainly the fact that no employer will likely sponsor you as a fresh graduate because you lack experience, as the above poster said. Maybe work for a few years here and establish yourself professionally first?

This is not always the case; dig around for some contacts. A friend of mine got sponsored for an H1B to work for NASA the same month he finished his 4 year Masters in Engineering. His dad, however, had previously worked for them and made a referral.

Best advice I can give I'm afraid.