Wikiposts

H1B

Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:35 am
Just Joined

jonesyboy1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1B

Hi Guys,

I have a quick question re the H1B Visa. I note from looking through the many many threads of the forum that in past years, the quota for H1B's have been filled up pretty quickly. I also understand that in the last couple of years, the quota has not been filled due to the recession, etc.

I know that for an October start, you (or your employer?) have to file the H1B application on the April.

What my question is, if the quota for last year has not been filled, if I managed to get a job and my employer files for me, would I still have to wait to apply in the August and not be able to begin work in the October.

Thanks in advance guys!

Ross
Old Oct 6th 2010, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1B

Originally Posted by jonesyboy1983
Hi Guys,

I have a quick question re the H1B Visa. I note from looking through the many many threads of the forum that in past years, the quota for H1B's have been filled up pretty quickly. I also understand that in the last couple of years, the quota has not been filled due to the recession, etc.

I know that for an October start, you (or your employer?) have to file the H1B application on the April.

What my question is, if the quota for last year has not been filled, if I managed to get a job and my employer files for me, would I still have to wait to apply in the August and not be able to begin work in the October.

Thanks in advance guys!

Ross
You cannot file before April 1st, for the corresponding financial year - so all approved petitions filed after April 1st cannot commence until October 1st of the same year.

Filing and gaining H1-B approval between April 1st and October 1st in any, one year means you can start working from Oct 1st.

Historically, H1-B is over-subscribed, meaning quotas got filled on or around the first filing day (April 1) - thus ruling-out any more applications until the following April.

That has not been the case for the last two years.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 2:44 am
Just Joined

I understand that I need to wait until April if I were to file for Oct 11.

However, what I wish clarified is say for talking sake I got offered a job in the US just now, and if the 2010 H1B quota had not been filled, could I apply for a H1B for "last year" and once received start working?

Thanks

Ross
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I believe you could.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:21 am
Just Joined

That would be awesome, meaning I wouldn't have to wait til the April to apply, and start working earlier than October 2011.

Can anybody corroborate this?

Also what is the current timeframe for application to visa being granted.

Thanks

Ross
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:36 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Can anybody corroborate this?
Yes, I believe this is correct. Further if the company is cap-exempt, I believe you can start work anytime.

Also what is the current timeframe for application to visa being granted.
Not all that long - a few months, I believe. The big question is... do you actually have an H-1B sponsor willing to fork out several $thousand for a visa for you?

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Oct 6th 2010 at 3:43 am.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:42 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I looked there was still 1000s of visa still available ...
very few employers want to pay out all that money ..when there are homegrown applicants by the 10000s
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:44 am
Just Joined

Do you guys know where I could find out if the cap has been reached or not? Or do you guys know?

No I am just talking hypothetical here. I am a UK based lawyer and sitting the NY Bar Exam in Feb. I do realise it is going to be very difficult in the current climate but being dual qualified may (i hope) make me stand out from the crowd.

Ross
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Last time I looked there was still 1000s of visa still available ...
very few employers want to pay out all that money ..when there are homegrown applicants by the 10000s
wow that's good.

To be honest, i would likely be prepared to cover the costs of the visa myself (although I understand no entirely legal). However if I do get a position at a big firm, recession or not, if they were hiring, with the normal salary for an associate, the realtively small proportionate cost of the visa would not be a problem. If it was a smaller firm, then maybe me covering the cost would be a plus.

Ross
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:49 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Latest H1B Visa Quota Update
Updated on September 24th, 2010

31,000 H1B visas are still available to live and work in the US
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:49 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If it was a smaller firm, then maybe me covering the cost would be a plus.
You can't. The visa fees are mandatory for the employer - and you aren't allowed to reimburse them.

Ian
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Latest H1B Visa Quota Update
Updated on September 24th, 2010

31,000 H1B visas are still available to live and work in the US
Thanks Ray, well at least thats an option although one that may be extremely difficult to get!!
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You can't. The visa fees are mandatory for the employer - and you aren't allowed to reimburse them.

Ian
Yes I understand that, however, from some things I had read on the net, employee's reimbursing the employer has been known.

Thanks for your input, this site is a great source of information.

Ross
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:35 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

wow that's good.

To be honest, i would likely be prepared to cover the costs of the visa myself (although I understand no entirely legal). However if I do get a position at a big firm, recession or not, if they were hiring, with the normal salary for an associate, the realtively small proportionate cost of the visa would not be a problem. If it was a smaller firm, then maybe me covering the cost would be a plus.

Ross
Yes I understand that, however, from some things I had read on the net, employee's reimbursing the employer has been known.

Thanks for your input, this site is a great source of information.

Ross
You make it very hard to avoid snarky 'lawyer ' comments.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
You make it very hard to avoid snarky 'lawyer ' comments.
hahahaha...don't worry, I don't like lawyers and I am one!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.