H1-B Visa

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Laska has a spectacular aura aboutLaska has a spectacular aura aboutLaska has a spectacular aura about
Default H1-B Visa

I think I was posting in the wrong forum before and didn't even realise that this sub-section existed!

In another 2 weeks I am going to Texas to see about getting an H1B visa. I have been offered employment and my potential employer wants me to accompany him to an interview with the attorney. With regards to other people who have obtained this type of visa, does the attorney do all the talking for me or do I have to additionally see a consular officer at a local embassy? How long does this type of visa last for and upon obtaining it how long must I then wait to apply for a green card? Any other specific advice from people who have gone through this process would be very welcome at this point :-)

Thank you.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

dandc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: H1-B Visa

Originally Posted by Laska
I think I was posting in the wrong forum before and didn't even realise that this sub-section existed!

In another 2 weeks I am going to Texas to see about getting an H1B visa. I have been offered employment and my potential employer wants me to accompany him to an interview with the attorney. With regards to other people who have obtained this type of visa, does the attorney do all the talking for me or do I have to additionally see a consular officer at a local embassy? How long does this type of visa last for and upon obtaining it how long must I then wait to apply for a green card? Any other specific advice from people who have gone through this process would be very welcome at this point :-)

Thank you.
To get a more comprehensive reply, you will need to give more information. Are you in the country on another type of visa right now, or will you be travelling to the US in order to interview? I can tell you that unless you are already in the states on a valid work/study visa (i.e if you are coming to/in the country on a visitors visa), looking for work or interviewing is breaking the rules.

That being said, an H1-B is valid initially for 3 years, but can be extended by a further three years, for a total of six. If your employer decides to sponsor you for a green card and the application is submitted before the beginning of the sixth year of your H1 visa, the H1 can be extended indefinitely in yearly increments pending the result of your green card application.

If you are not applying for a change of visa status (i.e f1 student to h1 worker), you will have to go to a US consulate abroad to apply for the H1.

Good luck with your interview, I hope all goes well!
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 10:55 am
Ingo Pakleppa

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Laska wrote:
    > I think I was posting in the wrong forum before and didn't even realise
    > that this sub-section existed!
    >
    > In another 2 weeks I am going to Texas to see about getting an H1B visa.
    > I have been offered employment and my potential employer wants me to
    > accompany him to an interview with the attorney.

I assume you are talking about an immigration attorney here?

> With regards to other
    > people who have obtained this type of visa, does the attorney do all the
    > talking for me or do I have to additionally see a consular officer at a
    > local embassy?

The attorney will handle most of the paperwork for getting your H-1B,
but you will have to contribute some yourself. The attorney should
explain all that. You may also want to read up on the process on my FAQ
site at http://www.kkeane.com - I put together quite a bit of basic
information that should help you better understand the overall process.

I would particularly urge you to understand the difference between visa
and status.

Also understand the H-1B quota, as that may potentially make it
impossible for you to get your H-1B if you don't get the timing right.

> How long does this type of visa last for and upon
    > obtaining it how long must I then wait to apply for a green card? Any
    > other specific advice from people who have gone through this process
    > would be very welcome at this point :-)

H-1Bs are good for a total of six years. Dandc already gave you a great
summary of the details.

The Green Card process is completely independent and can be started at
any time. Many employers insist on waiting for one year, but if your
employer cooperates, I would suggest you start right away, even before
the H-1B is approved.

- --
Remember, I am strictly a layperson without any legal training. I encourage
everybody to seek competent legal counsel rather than relying on usenet
newsgroups.

Please visit my new FAQ at http://www.kkeane.com (always under construction)

My email address in usenet posts is now invalid for spam protection. See
my Web site for information on how to contact me.

Please feel free to enjoy some of my photographs at my Web site
http://www.ingopakleppa.com ! Comments are welcome.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFC8KKeyUlVTFdHXskRAlX1AKCjB9y8SQCqoKuLMvmbFq v2/4oa4wCeOFmU
I7DpuJUOw3m+OVULUhDSbnc=
=bFCN
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Old Aug 3rd 2005, 2:26 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ingo Pakleppa
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Also understand the H-1B quota, as that may potentially make it
impossible for you to get your H-1B if you don't get the timing right.
Certainly does. My H1B application was submitted early June and I just got the notification thats its been approved. Now need to get and book the embassy interview appointment :-)

Paul
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

dandc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paul S
Certainly does. My H1B application was submitted early June and I just got the notification thats its been approved. Now need to get and book the embassy interview appointment :-)

Paul
I think the US Embassy is booking appointments about 40 days out right now. I called at the beginning June and got a July 11th appt - but then had to cancel it, because it turned out i didn't need it. Silly me
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Laska has a spectacular aura aboutLaska has a spectacular aura aboutLaska has a spectacular aura about

Thanks everyone. Yes this guy is a top immigration attorney. He would need to be for what he is charging!

I'm in N.Ire at the moment but flying to Texas in another fortnights time to stay for 2 weeks with friends. The idea is to see the attorney and see if this idea is actually practical and can be done, because if it isn't then I don't want to be having false hopes!

After the interview I will have a better idea nd then we can take it from there.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 9:17 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laska
Thanks everyone. Yes this guy is a top immigration attorney. He would need to be for what he is charging!

I'm in N.Ire at the moment but flying to Texas in another fortnights time to stay for 2 weeks with friends. The idea is to see the attorney and see if this idea is actually practical and can be done, because if it isn't then I don't want to be having false hopes!

After the interview I will have a better idea nd then we can take it from there.

Good Luck with it.
Got my Visa interview (I797 petition approved) booked last night. 34 day wait, so i'm off for the interview in early September

Paul