Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

London to USA - Recruitment Biz owner

London to USA - Recruitment Biz owner

Old Oct 10th 2017, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Ge0rge3boy1122 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default London to USA - Recruitment Biz owner

Hey all,

I run a recruitment company (on my own) and in my first year with an expected turnover of 70k. My field of recruiting is software & hardware engineers for the automotive industry in Germany.

I am looking at the possibility of moving to the US with the hope of expanding into the American automotive sector. My current clients in Germany have offices in the US which would make it relatively easy for me able to hit the ground running once I got over there as I would already have clients willing to work with me.

The Automotive sector is becoming more and more autonomous, and software/hardware engineering is now the fastest growing and in demand markets in automotive and is growing exponentially and will continue to do so.

Here is some info

-29 year old male
-Work for myself only (at present)
-Specialize in the automotive sector (hardware/software) engineers
-Have signed terms to work with a number of the worlds largest automotive businesses
-70k first year tunrover
-Looking at moving all operations to the US and expanding the biz there instead of UK
-Worked in recruitment for 8 years
-NO degree, just high school (due to playing pro football from 16-20)
-Currently play semi pro footballer in conference south (5 leagues below premier league) Brownie points, as I could play a high standard over there?

I have looked over various ways of getting in the US but from what I have researched, there are not many options available and I do not seem to qualify for any of them. Would anyone be able to kindly offer some advice on what steps I could take.

Kind regards,
GH
Old Oct 10th 2017, 11:48 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London to USA - Recruitment Biz owner

Originally Posted by Ge0rge3boy1122

I have looked over various ways of getting in the US but from what I have researched, there are not many options available and I do not seem to qualify for any of them.

Kind regards,
GH
It looks like you've answered your own question.

Essentially there are 3 paths to being able to live and work in the USA.
- marriage or immediate family (you haven't mentioned anything about this)
- employment (will be a struggle without a degree - that rules out the biggest option)
- investment (would this be an option for you?)

One option would be to keep the business running in the U.K. and set up another branch in the USA and transfer yourself. However, the U.K. business must continue to run for this one. If there's just you then this won't work unless you hire someone to run the U.K. side.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 12:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

An E-2 visa seems like a goo potential match, but the business cannot be a subsistence business, giving you just enough to live on. It has to be growing and/or employing American citizens/legal residents. If your turnover is only £70k then it seems like you need to grow the business substantially to meet the requirements of either an L-1A or an E-2.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 10th 2017 at 12:39 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you are single?
Old Oct 10th 2017, 2:09 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ge0rge3boy1122
-Currently play semi pro footballer in conference south (5 leagues below premier league) Brownie points, as I could play a high standard over there?
Good luck finding a club Depending where you'd potentially end up in the US, adult amateur clubs are hard to find nearby, let alone semi-pro clubs.

As myself working in software engineering for a big auto manufacturer here, i can speak to the fact that all our recruitment is done in house. So if you'd be looking to expand to the major players in the US, you may be out of luck.

That said, i don't know the specifics of what you recruit in, and that obviously may well be a different skill set.

Either way, good luck
Old Oct 12th 2017, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

This ^

I play in a Thursday night indoor league down in Denver and that took long enough to find! It's also worth noting, the quality of US players is actually pretty surprising. Some of them really are pretty passionate about football.

On the recruitment front: I'm in the software business and most of the people that send me recruiter spam via email, LinkedIn or a phone call are in-house recruiters.

The job I'm at now was done completely through internal recruiters, I much prefer obtaining employment that way.