H1-B Extension Query

Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default H1-B Extension Query

So, we've been going through the process of extending my OH's H1-B and our H4's, and was just looking for clarification from anyone who's been through this process.

When/if your extension is granted, do they send you a new I-94. I hadn't thought about this, but have been reading up on it this morning, and it seems that we would be issued new I-94's. Also, we live in Connecticut, am I right in saying that when/if the extension is granted, our closest place for the visa issuance would be Canada?? We hadn't planned on visiting the UK again, until next year. Sorry, I know this is basic questions, but as usual, I'm reading up on all this and getting flustered (not like me, I know )
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:38 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: H1-B Extension Query

I believe you will be issued a I-797A approving the extension with a tear-off new I-94 at the bottom allowing you to stay in the US. If you leave North America and the visa in your passport is expired you will need a new visa from an embassy. Brief travel to Canada and Mexico does not require a new visa as you can re-enter under "Automatic Revalidation".
Old Aug 21st 2012, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BTJ
I believe you will be issued a I-797A approving the extension with a tear-off new I-94 at the bottom allowing you to stay in the US.
That's correct. I was told to attach the new I-94 to the old one and turn them both in next time I left the country, but I'm not sure if that's actually required or if you can just use the new one.

Last edited by zerlesen; Aug 21st 2012 at 12:29 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both, that's what I needed to know. Much appreciated
Old Aug 21st 2012, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

We got new I-94s with our H1B/H4 transfers along with the approval notice so I would imagine it is the same for an extension. They are currently still in the FedEx envelope we got everything else in. Haven't touched them since they arrived!
Old Aug 21st 2012, 5:08 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
When/if your extension is granted, do they send you a new I-94. I hadn't thought about this, but have been reading up on it this morning, and it seems that we would be issued new I-94's.
Yup I94 forms part of the 797 document

Also, we live in Connecticut, am I right in saying that when/if the extension is granted, our closest place for the visa issuance would be Canada??
You could go to Canada. I was advised against by my immigration attorney as the original visa wasn't issued there so they apparently have to check with the country where it was first issued (UK). Adds more time to the process and you are effectively stuck in a foreign country with no passport

We hadn't planned on visiting the UK again, until next year. Sorry, I know this is basic questions, but as usual, I'm reading up on all this and getting flustered (not like me, I know )

I'd say if you can wait and have no other trips outside the US planned to do it when you go back next year. My second H1B stamp was only valid for about 12 months once it was done as for the first 2 years of it we stayed here in the US
Old Aug 21st 2012, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I contacted Toronto a while ago about us going there for interview rather than back to the UK and they told me, via email, that they have "a limited number of appointments for applicants who do not reside in Canada, eg third country nationals who are physically present in the United States" but that these appointments fill up quickly.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

Yes, I94 is on 797 form
They only gave me 1 year, so I have not left US. Upstairs in FedEx envelope stiil
Will wait to see if get 3yr next,then ill go Toronto...meant to be quicker than London
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
I contacted Toronto a while ago about us going there for interview rather than back to the UK and they told me, via email, that they have "a limited number of appointments for applicants who do not reside in Canada, eg third country nationals who are physically present in the United States" but that these appointments fill up quickly.
We always renewed in either Toronto or Vancouver without any problems, but yes, the visa appointments book up fast.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the input everyone, always much appreciated
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

I've also renewed in Toronto three times without incident - you just have to book quite far in advance.

Or you could try the Bahamas... definitely more fun!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=bahamas